Matthew Lewis Talks Post-Potter Role, "The Syndicate"

Lewis Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
March 12, 2012, 12:04 PM

Actor Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) recently spoke to the Press Association about his first post-Potter role in the BBC TV mini-series, "The Syndicate."

Lewis talks about how different his character Jamie is compared to Neville and his interest in taking part in the mini-series.

"Jamie is a drug-taking, mouthy scallywag from a council estate in Leeds and Neville is a shy, reserved boy wizard who's afraid of his own shadow. On the surface they are world's apart. However, when you scratch below that surface they have similarities," he said.
"I connected with the character of Jamie instantly and wanted to play him from the moment I read the script. The fact that he was a 'bad lad' didn't really factor in my decision making. I just knew I wanted to tell Jamie's story and thankfully Kay granted me that opportunity."
"A lot of people will dislike him and they will find him on the surface to be a pretty disagreeable bloke. He's been through a lot but I'm not asking people to justify his behaviour, I just hope they understand it on a human level.
"That for me is the challenge, and that is what drew me to him. I'm really passionate about this guy and this story."

A trailer for "The Syndicate" was also released by the BBC. Watch it here or below. The mini series is expected to begin airing on BBC1 in late March.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis Interviews News

Ravenpuff_thumb

congrats Matt, I loved you for your dedication to the character of Neville. No one else could have done the job you did, and I hope you are equally great in this roll.

Posted by Ravenpuffmax on March 12, 2012, 03:05 PM report to moderator
Scan0001__2__thumb

I’m so happy for Matt. He seems to have really landed the right role for himself. I’m really looking forward to the series now :)

Posted by louiselooksforalaska on March 12, 2012, 04:36 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_n28b4fpncl1qan42po2_r1_250_thumb
20962 Points

Matt will always be Neville to me, just like with all the other HP actors I will always see them as their characters. But I’m ttill excited to them all in new roles. I’d love to see this with Matt, but does anyone know if it will air on BBC America?

Posted by LunaLuver on March 12, 2012, 05:25 PM report to moderator
Hermione_poster_thumb

Good job Matt. In all HP fans hearts, you will be Neville. Unfortunatley, to us you will always be Neville not Matt. But I think that in DH pt. 2, when Neville was giving the speech to Voldemort about Harry’s death, that you really did show a bit of yourself. And I think that that’s what we see. Whatever you want to act in, whether you are being a “bad lad” or a boy who started out so young and grew up to become you, we will always forever and completely support you. Unless you turn out like Lindsay Lohan, but I am 99.9999999…..% certain that you will stay the Matt we know and love no matter how much you grow. :)

Posted by silverkacy on March 12, 2012, 07:30 PM report to moderator
Hermione_poster_thumb

Is that Timothy Spall? Who played Wormtail (Peter Pettigrew)?

Posted by silverkacy on March 12, 2012, 07:33 PM report to moderator

WOW. WOW. WOW.

Posted by . on March 12, 2012, 07:57 PM report to moderator
Congratulations, Matt! You did a WONDERFUL job playing Neville in the Potter series and I thank you for dedicating 10 years of your talent to making the world’s best series a little better! I pray that you do great things and enjoy your new role in this series, although I will probably not get around to watching it. :)
Posted by katelyner123 on March 12, 2012, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

g6 matt!

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on March 12, 2012, 08:59 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Very nice…

Posted by Won_Two on March 13, 2012, 10:45 AM report to moderator
Dobby_thumb

it looks really funny! sucks that i dont get that channel where i live :(

Posted by jennluvsharry on March 13, 2012, 12:44 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_thumb

Congrats Matt! The Syndicate…yeah, gonna remember that definitely! :D

Posted by Hedwig_Lives on March 14, 2012, 11:17 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Sounds pretty good!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on March 15, 2012, 02:56 AM report to moderator
Asha_and_caleb_thumb

Congratulations Matt!!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on March 17, 2012, 05:07 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to [i]buy[/i] their way in," said Hermione sharply. "[i]They[/i] got in on pure talent."[br]The smug look on Malfoy's face flickered.