Pottermore Opening to Everyone in Early April

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
March 08, 2012, 08:55 AM

The Pottermore Insider updated today to announce that Pottermore.com will be coming out of the Beta phase and open to everyone in early April 2012.

The Beta period for Pottermore was extended indefinitely toward the end of last year. The Insider explains why this decision was made:

We always knew Pottermore would be incredibly popular, which is why we made the decision to only open to one million Beta users to begin with. We wanted to make sure that we had a really good understanding of how people want to use the site and which bits we’d need to modify before giving more people access.
We gathered some incredibly useful feedback from our Beta users, and it became clear that our original platform wouldn’t be suitable when millions more users came on to the site. So we made a big decision: to move Pottermore to an entirely different platform set up. This ‘invisible’ change has involved a lot of work behind the scenes but it will enable our users to get the best from Pottermore as it grows and develops.
The Pottermore team notes that, through fan feedback, they have decided to add more exclusive content and features to the site, including sounds. Stick close to Leaky as we continue to report on the latest updates surrounding Pottermore.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Hedwig_thumb

I’ve been waiting for it to come out of the Beta phase for sooo long!! This is really great! xD

Posted by Hedwig_Lives on March 10, 2012, 08:47 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I am sorry to say that as a beta tester I found / find the whole thing to be rather “meh”… I was expecting a lot more than I got… Well, at least it’s free!

Posted by Won_Two on March 10, 2012, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe_being_perfect_thumb

I know all the BETA testers hate it, but OHMYROWLING I’M SO EXCITED!!!♥ When I first head it, I started crying!!! I Can’t wait!

Posted by Potterhead777 {ROAR!} on March 10, 2012, 01:50 PM report to moderator
Enormous_lucius_thumb_thumb

Finally! Those who didn’t get a chance to sign up in Beta mode get an opportunity. For those with an account what are the pros and cons?

Posted by Rsheppard on March 10, 2012, 02:38 PM report to moderator

I’ll try and summarize what I’ve talked to other Beta testers about.

Each chapter in the first book (which is all we’ve seen) has three sections and each section is three levels deep. The first level is a far away shot then you click into to see the details. There are things to pick up and grab in each section. Some have more things than the others.

The Sorting hat is fun but a lot of people didn’t like where they got sorted. So, they weren’t happy with their house.

The first book is more like a game tutorial than detailing the book. However, some pages have potion items that will reappear (after you initially pick them up) after a week or so (I haven’t gotten the timing down yet) as long as you have used yours up. For instance, there are several potion items around Hagrid’s Hut that will restock as it were. The gold coins, books and frog cards only appear once.

After you go through all of the chapters they have a place to play the wizard’s duel and create potions for house points. The potion ingredients can be tough to handle and you have to follow the detailed instructions to the letter. Earlier this year the potions were a bit wacky and it was tough to brew them, but they have worked out the kinks and it works well now.

The wizards duel was down for a long time when I first joined. When it did come back it took me a bit to get the hang of the keystrokes, but once you did you can gain points pretty fast. (Just be prepared to lose alot at first).

I’ve been on it almost everyday since August. It’s definitely not an xbox game, but I think it’s pretty cool for a free sight. I can’t wait for the next book.

Posted by OwlKnight on March 10, 2012, 05:20 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

#1HarryPotterFan123[ROAR!]: Beta readers don’t all hate it, but at the same time you shouldn’t expect too much, as I think a lot of disappointment with the site is due to unfulfilled expectations. There are book moments to explore, a few Potter related things to do and new information to discover, but it isn’t trying to be a video game.

Posted by roonwit on March 10, 2012, 05:44 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

This is some great news but I would expect a release of the chamber of secrets by then!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on March 11, 2012, 05:22 AM report to moderator

What about those of us who signed up to be on a mailing list? Will they send us notifications or do we have to sign up all over again Does anyone have a clue? Have been waiting quite a while for this and do not wish to miss out.

Posted by hewy on March 11, 2012, 04:32 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

hewy: I imagine they will send out notifications to those who registered their interest, but I think they will wait until they are ready to announce the go-live date and what the sign-up procedure will be.

Posted by roonwit on March 11, 2012, 06:37 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"My Lord, I was constantly on the alert," came Lucius Malfoy's voice swiftly from beneath the hood. "Had there been any sign from you, any whisper of your whereabouts, I would have been at your side immediately, nothing could have prevented me --"