J. K. Rowling Mentions the Harry Potter Encyclopedia on Her New Website

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
April 16, 2012, 07:02 PM

On J. K. Rowling's new website, Ms. Rowling confirms that the Harry Potter Encyclopedia is still in the works on the FAQ section of the site:

For a long time I have been promising an encyclopaedia of Harry’s world, and I have started work on this now – some of it forms the new content in Pottermore. It is likely to be a time-consuming job, but when finished I shall donate all royalties to charity.

Many thanks to Catherine and Max for owling!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

it is totally like she read my mind :) cause i was just thinking about this

Posted by lmauro on April 16, 2012, 07:44 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Thats it!?! She’s just started work on the book! Why has she waited so long! This would have been a much better welcome than her new book. I have to say I am disappointed she doesnt have it at least completed, waiting for the right time to release it. =(

Posted by LunaLuver on April 16, 2012, 07:55 PM report to moderator
The_order_of_the_phoenix1_thumb

this is going to be great.

Posted by budthebrave on April 16, 2012, 08:37 PM report to moderator
028_25a_thumb

THAT’S what I’m talkin’ about!!! It’s been a long time coming, but at least we know it’s in the works. I’ll read the new book that’s out in September, but I believe JK will always be known for Harry Potter, and anything that she can add to what we already know will be icing on the cake.

Posted by marymackie on April 16, 2012, 08:37 PM report to moderator

And millions of fans rejoice.

Posted by Ratorr on April 16, 2012, 09:05 PM report to moderator

Wow, LunaLuver, someone’s looking a gift horse in the mouth. Entitled much?

Posted by Feorge on April 16, 2012, 09:57 PM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

Well, best of luck to you JK! I know that writing an Encyclopedia is awfully hard work! (even though I haven’t written one)

Posted by lovelle on April 17, 2012, 12:13 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

@Feorge: Entitled to my own opinion, yes. Wishing ‘The Scottish Book’ was coming out sooner, yes. Jo said she was working on it in many interviews right after DH came out, that was five years ago! All Potter fans would be happier to hear that this was coming out in September instead of her other book.

Posted by LunaLuver on April 17, 2012, 02:17 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

You’re a bit late with this news, I found it on her site on the day you reported that her revamped site had opened and shared it in the Hufflepuff Common room, we were all very pleased.

It is great news that she is working on the encyclopaedia now, some of us had wondered if she had decided to only put all the extra content on Pottermore, so I’m very happy that we will get a book.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on April 17, 2012, 02:52 AM report to moderator
Logo150nobrain_thumb

Authors must be entitled to choose their own direction and timings, otherwise the quality of their work will suffer and no one benefits. I see all royalties will be donated to charity. That’s going to be a pretty big donation – even if our current government end up taking away 45% in tax. A pity more of our top earners don’t follow her lead.

Posted by zonkoltd on April 17, 2012, 02:57 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

LunaLuver: She doesn’t say she has just started on it and she must have done some work on it already given that some of the material is on Pottermore. She has also been clear that the Encyclopaedia would take a long time – she said 19 years (not entirely seriously) in the Pottercast episode which coined the “Scottish Book” name.

moglet [ITC!]: Yes, I spotted it early on as well, and I agree this is the first confirmation that the Encyclopaedia is still in progress since we found out about Pottermore which could perhaps have been a replacement for it.

Posted by roonwit on April 17, 2012, 04:37 AM report to moderator
Assassin_of_the_tsar_thumb

I hope she will write the books from the World of Harry Potter like schoolbooks and the like. I can’t wait till the Encylopedia is finished and released. I think she started talking about a Harry Potter Encylopedia in 2007?

Posted by Milla Aiko Indie on April 17, 2012, 05:48 AM report to moderator
Hogwarts_thumb

This is going to be amazing!

Posted by Magic Moon on April 17, 2012, 07:23 AM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

I am very excited to hear and was happy when Moglet shared in the Common Room :-)

RE: “All Potter fans would be happier to hear that this was coming out in September instead of her other book.” —Not true, I am a Potter fan, and was excited to hear of the new book, curious to see what it is all about. Of course, I will buy the Encyclopedia when it is released, but, I really am ready to enjoy something aside from HP by JKR.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on April 17, 2012, 07:33 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Amanda Emilie: Yes I think she said something about working on it in 2007 or 2008, but I see it as something that might get put aside while she is working on something else, so it could be a few years before it is published, and there may be other books not including The Casual Vacancy that she publishes first.

Posted by roonwit on April 17, 2012, 07:38 AM report to moderator

"Tut, tut -- hardly any of you remembered that my favorite color is lilac. I say so in [i]Year with the Yeti.[/i]"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014