"The Butler" to be released this month

News
Posted by: Catherine
July 25, 2013, 10:44 PM

REMINDER: Lee Daniels' The Butler, starring Alan Rickman, as well as many other acclaimed actors, will be released in theaters August 16! Alan Rickman plays the role of United States President Ronald Reagan.The trailer can be seen below.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Watching an actor I adore playing a president I detested is going to be a textbook example of cognitive dissonance, for sure! If I walk out of the movie saying that I’m going to vote Republican next time, someone quick smack me upside the head until I get my sense back.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on July 26, 2013, 12:43 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

A lo of people in these parts had the same problem when deciding whether to go and see Meryl Streep in ‘The Iron Lady’… But that’s the power of acting, isn’t it? You probably won’t end up liking Regan’s politics, but you might feel you understand him a bit more as a human being.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on July 26, 2013, 03:03 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

‘A lot of people’

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on July 26, 2013, 03:03 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Oops, I misspelt Reagan, too. And there’s no way to delete these posts. Sorry!

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on July 26, 2013, 03:04 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Were you confusing him with one of King Lear’s daughters spelling wise?
I’m not sure if I’ll go and see this film or not, despite Alan being in it.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on July 26, 2013, 05:39 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I think I was. But that’s probably a commoner spelling of the (Irish) surname anyway. I wonder if it will be shown in the UK? It looks as though you would need a fair knowledge of US politics and history to appreciate it.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on July 27, 2013, 02:26 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I wont be seeing this in theaters, but I’ll probably rent it at some point.

Posted by LunaLuver on July 28, 2013, 06:17 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

Weeny Owl, I know exactly how you feel. When I first heard of this movie, I kept hoping they were wrong about which character Rickman would be. It’s going to be hard to watch, I’m afraid. I’m thoroughly sick of hearing how wonderful Reagan was. My memory of him is quite different. (I don’t think there’s any danger of my wanting to vote republican, though. grin)

Posted by Eeyore on July 29, 2013, 03:12 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

Hmm, I guess I should have watched the trailer before I posted. It looks like it could be a very interesting movie and doesn’t look like it’s about Reagan as much as about the Civil Rights movement. I’ll probably give it try.

Posted by Eeyore on July 29, 2013, 03:18 AM report to moderator
Nacey_reads_002_thumb

He is also plays the part of the “The Frog” in RED2 with Bruce Willis and Helen Mirran

Posted by crncybwn on July 29, 2013, 09:06 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Compared to todays Conservatives Reagan is a saint…

Posted by Won_Two on July 31, 2013, 10:28 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Their patron saint, I think, Won! I’m afraid that my memories of the Iran/Contra scandal, his providing training and financial support for the death squads in El Salvador, busting the air traffic controllers’ union and about a million other wrongs perpetrated by the Reagan administration have not yet faded. Then again, who ever imagined that we would look back fondly on Richard Nixon as the guy who signed the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts?

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on August 01, 2013, 12:02 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

Seems interesting. I think I’ll watch it. I hope Rickman has a larger role. I like seeing him in film. He’s a really great actor.

Posted by molly43 on August 02, 2013, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Hermione_grange_thumb

Sound pretty cool :)

Posted by HarryPotterGirl (Hermione) on August 02, 2013, 04:14 PM report to moderator

"We were all in the D.A. together," said Neville quietly. "It was all supposed to be about fighting You-Know-Who, wasn't it? And this is the first chance we've had to do something real -- or was that all just a game or something?"