tryston009

As a college student, I fully understand the pain of the rising cost of college. To me, it is a shame that some kids who go to college are saddled with so much debt that when they finally graduate, they HAVE to find a high-paying job just to make sure they can pay back the loans—and even then it takes years to pay back those enormous amounts.

A very well-thought-out post, and I definitely agree that our education system in the United States is due for a overhaul.

Posted by tryston009 on January 12, 2009, 05:58 PM
Doris

Thanks Tryston. I appreciate your comment, and we do need to fix a few things!

Doris

Posted by Doris on January 12, 2009, 06:21 PM
Melissa/ mlwl

As always, a well-written and dead correct blog. If only he could really read the letter!

Posted by Melissa/ mlwl on January 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
Candace

Doris, excellent excellent excellent blog! Very well written and you presented your analysis and arguments very clearly and I really enjoyed reading it! You should actually e-mail this to the white house?

Posted by Candace on January 12, 2009, 06:32 PM
Doris

Thanks guys for the sweet comments!

Melissa, we can hope! I mean, he does use a computer and he’s a Harry Potter fan! One never knows!

Candace, I thought about it – and I might. I have to wait ‘till he’s really there first!

Thanks guys,

Doris

Posted by Doris on January 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
EssenceOfInsanity

Well said! I completely agree that education needs to be changed in this country. Kids are being taught to take tests.

I graduated from high school in Upstate New York and I along with everyone else who graduates in NY, had to take a multitude of Regents exams in order to graduate. And the teachers had to teach to these exams.

Now I’m in college and it is expensive. So many students can’t afford to go to college or if they do go, have tons of loans that will take years to pay off.

I could ramble on and on about this. I should just blog about it myself, lol.

You should email it to Obama! It’s so well written. :)

Posted by EssenceOfInsanity on January 12, 2009, 07:23 PM
Jessica Amber

I SO love you reading your blog and agree with everything you said. I used to work as a teacher’s assistant, and seeing all the stress and low pay, i decided not to become a teacher. Now, I am going back to college to get my degree in teaching, and the amount of stuff we have to go through just to be a teacher is sad compared to the pay. But helping kids is in my heart, and that matters to me more than higher pay. Also what you said about testing and funding hit home too. When i was a TA i was completely confused and frustrated as to why they would do that. I think the general public needs to be more educated about what exactly goes on with the schools and government. Thanks for helping everyone be more aware:)

Posted by Jessica Amber on January 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
Doris

Thanks guys for the awesome comments!

I may have to mail it to him just because you guys have mentioned it. Of course – everyone of us needs to make our voices heard and let them all know what we think needs to be done.

“Yes we can” is the buzz phrase President Elect Obama has taught us. Let’s not just make it a phrase, but a mission. Yes we can!

Doris

Doris

Posted by Doris on January 12, 2009, 08:24 PM
Oxymoronic

A well-written post on a crucial topic Doris…well done!

Posted by Oxymoronic on January 13, 2009, 04:54 PM
Josh

Thank you for the service you provide teaching our children the skills to succeed in life. I disagree with just about everything you said and the reason I’m commenting is because I’m afraid that you may not have an opportunity to hear the other side of this debate.

As a 40 year old father of three I’m just old enough to have experienced the tail end of the old way of teaching, the modern way, and now the reaction to that modernism. I watched education costs rise and scores plummet during the era of experimental teaching. If the scores had no relation to the life skills necessary to succeed it wouldn’t matter, but companies were complaining that they were seeing an increase in illiterate entry-level workers and drop-out rates were increasing. The percentage of cost spent on administration was increasing while school programs were being cut.

This was the environment I was in when I decided to push for and vote for measures and candidates that advocated more testing and accountability. Your nostalgic view of history probably doesn’t include the corporal punishment both at school and home that was a contributing factor to kids behaving and getting their lessons done and turned in on time.

Now I’ll get political. Being a Scout leader I associate with teachers and I’ve heard for years about how they get blamed, but they don’t get support from the parents. I think the reason that parents aren’t taking more responsibility is because we’ve been abdicating that responsibility to the government. Your proposal that everything is paid for by the government, which is just another way of saying everyone in the country after federal employees take their cut off the top, advocates that mind-set. You are creating your own parent problem. They dont’ even write a check for their taxes; they are taken out of their pay before they ever see it. Now you want the kids to get free money and never have to pay it back? Or you think their first experience with borrowing money being an interest free loan will prepare them for how the real world works? So, everyone is getting used to passing the responsibility off to someone else and blithely allowing the government to take more and more of their paycheck which you acknowledge is too small in the first place.

That’s why I advocate standardized testing. Instead of hoping that the kids are being taught, you check to make sure they are. That’s why I think families should pay for education. They value it more, they have a personal interest in failure as a wasted investment, and they don’t take money from other taxpayers who have their own personal needs like medical care, providing for an elderly parent, or trying to follow their dreams.

I admire and applaud your sincere desire to see our children provided for. I don’t share your vision of how to accomplish that which would be okay except that you are demanding that I pay for your ideas. Until the government can be held accountable for the failure to educate America’s children, I won’t endorse giving it more money. Show me the proof and then I’ll show you the money.

Posted by Josh on January 13, 2009, 05:02 PM
Doris

Hi Josh and thanks for your well thought out comment.

I think we do disagree in how this all should be paid for, but I do think we agree on what is the most important thing out there, that kids need a quality education.

I agree that teachers and governments should be held accountable, but I disagree that a bureaucrat who hasn’t been in a school in a while knows the best way to do it. If we want accountability, then I say let’s leave it to the local school district to devise that. The problem is that a bureaucrat is not going to be the best person at judging the “norm” for any school district.

Thanks for your comment. We’ve got an awesome thread in the lounge for longer discussion if you’d like to join in. You all have great insight and I’d like to hear more of your thoughts.

Doris

Posted by Doris on January 13, 2009, 09:36 PM
Lanae

As a fellow teacher, I could not agree more, Doris.

Posted by Lanae on January 14, 2009, 07:40 PM
Doris

Lanae,

Thanks for the comment. We need to start speaking out and trying to make our voices heard. We all love these kids, we just need to make sure we’re fighting for what is best for them.

Posted by Doris on January 14, 2009, 11:49 PM
Lillylove

So eloquent, Doris! I also agree that our new president should see your thoughts. We need to pull together to find solutions & not just expect “magic fixes.” Thanks, as always, for your insight.
P.S. Off topic, but did want to let you know that my daughter & I made the Hot Mamma Cookies over the Holidays…HUGE hit!!!

Posted by Lillylove on January 19, 2009, 03:27 PM
Doris

Hot Mamma cookies are my favorite!MMMM

I’m now of the mindset that we need to stop complaining and start offering ideas. We’re smart, we know where change could happen from the unique perspective of someone who lives there!

Thanks

D

Posted by Doris on January 19, 2009, 03:38 PM
Ready to see Leaky in Color?