Dsc02812__2__thumb

Doris ~ I dearly love how you always manage to pull themes from Harry Potter to our day-to-day lives so eloquently!

Posted by Lillylove on February 24, 2009, 05:05 PM
Me_thumb

Thanks Lillylove – it’s interesting how so many of the themes in the novels can be related to real life.

Posted by Doris on February 24, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hp_ravenclaw_thumb

I think Hermione would have been more interested in public service than Harry. He and Ron never really shared her enthusiasm for championing the rights of others.

By the way, what is the problem with these comments pages? I posted a comment on a previous blog entry but it went to page two. Whenever I tried to read page two of the comments to see what further comments were made after I posted, the link took me back to the original blog entry. I emailed TLC about the problem but it doesn’t seem to have been fixed.

Posted by Verity Weasley on February 24, 2009, 07:01 PM

How wonderful to see my book posted among the Harry Potter World! Years ago, after the first book came out, I was so smitten by Harry and his friends and escapades, that, along with a great colleague who is another Potter aficionado, led a series of workshops at service learning conferences. In fact we had a series going — all based on HARRY and Company. Our first was Harry Potter and the Service Learning Wizards! In each workshop we work capes, had flying owls, invisibility cloaks and so on. They were great fun and also brought to the forefront all Harry and his pals did for others, and how we can, through our personal wizardry, keep the flame of service alive. I am so delighted to see my book here! And honored!

Posted by CBKaye on February 24, 2009, 07:15 PM

Seeing this posting was a great thrill for me. I’m not only a huge Harry Potter fan but I also have the great pleasure of managing the National Service-Learning Clearinghouse (a resource center just on service-learning). If your readers are interested in learning more about service-learning and ways they can follow Harry’s model of a life of public service, we’d be delighted to help them on their way. Anyone interested can visit http://www.servicelearning.org to get free materials and help from my colleagues and me. Wishing you all the best (and looking forward to exploring your site more),

Liberty

Posted by Liberty on February 24, 2009, 08:06 PM
Me_thumb

CBKaye – Thanks for commenting! I’m thrilled to have you around offering ideas. I have recommended your book often, and I know many kids and teachers have benefited from it.

Liberty – I just added you guys to my Twitter feed. Thanks for the link – I’ve glanced at your site and I can see that you have many good ideas for our classrooms.

Doris

Posted by Doris on February 24, 2009, 10:40 PM
Me_thumb

Verity Weasley – There is a bug in our comment section that only shows the first page of comments. I’ve let Alex know and it should be fixed soon.

Thanks for asking -

Doris

Posted by Doris on February 25, 2009, 07:20 AM
Wand_thumb

Hi
I found a work around to the problem of getting to a second comments page (until they get the thing fixed): copy the full address of the comments page (it will end with …/comments/1). Then paste it into a new browser window and change the /1 to /2.

Oddly, I couldn’t seem to get it to work if I simply changed /1 to /2 in the same window. I had to open a new one. This work around is a bit clutzy, but it got me to page 2 in some of the other blogs entries.

Posted by wordsaremagic on February 26, 2009, 09:46 AM
Becky_thumb

This looks like a good book. I started a Harry Potter club on my campus, and we’er looking for ideas to raise money for the Harry Potter Alliance, or any charity, so this looks like it could be helpful.

Posted by The Silver Doe on February 28, 2009, 11:34 AM
Me_thumb

The Silver Doe -

It’s an awesome book with great ideas to help you set up a public service group on your campus. Good Luck and if you need any help feel free to ask.

Doris

Posted by Doris on February 28, 2009, 02:48 PM
Dscn0756-1_thumb

I am going to read this book and try to incorporate it into my classroom (when I finally get into the classroom). It sounds very interesting and like something that could not only help me to enrich the lives of others, but help to enrich my own as well.

Thanks Doris!

Posted by Shane [WBM] on March 31, 2009, 11:13 PM
Ready to see Leaky in Color?