Imgp0834_thumb

True Hermione would do well to get a bit of Maths down here but I think see needs a little Art in my opinion lol

Posted by SilverMoose {!!!ROAR!!!} on February 09, 2009, 12:57 PM
Me_thumb

Thanks SilverMoose. I don’t think anyone would say that all kids don’t need art, but most girls are not getting an equal education in maths and science as their male counterparts. We need to make sure the classroom is there for all students.

Posted by Doris on February 09, 2009, 11:44 PM
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

I am not all for Math (I hate this subject :D), but I think everyone needs a fair share of education, so I agree so much with this.

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on February 10, 2009, 01:45 AM
Dsc02812__2__thumb

Excellent food for thought as always, Doris. It is shameful that in 2009 those gender stereotypes still haunt our schools. I was certainly a victim of “Math isn’t for girls.” Because of my experience, I was determined to flip that coin for my daughter. We did a great deal of home support of her interest in Math & Science (as well as the Arts, Silvermoose!). I’m proud she has become a true Hermione – she is graduating this spring from college in the top 5% with a science major.

Posted by Lillylove on February 10, 2009, 09:35 AM
1_thumb

Very true. And I for one am in full support of getting more girls into the maths and sciences, if not for equality, than at least so we can increase the population of female nerds! ;)

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on February 11, 2009, 05:29 AM
Me_thumb

Lillylove, the one place that gender stereotypes should never exist is school. It’s our job as teachers to help all children reach their full potential.

Dawlish and the Archies, LOL!

Posted by Doris on February 11, 2009, 07:13 AM

As a 40-something female engineer, I heartily agree. I have one child of each gender, both considering (or studying) engineering. To the girl people say, “That’s so hard!”, and to my boy they say “Good for you!” Luckily, my daughter had Mom there to say “You can do it!” She’s now a successful student at a top-notch engineering school. Go, girl!!!!

Posted by RavenclawMom on February 11, 2009, 11:41 AM

When I was young and naive I wanted to go into a science field, but realized how much math was involved and quailed. I never noticed if there was a gender-bias as far as math and science, I just know it was hard for me and hard to find help for it. Though I have to give my chemistry teacher his due, as he stayed after school almost everyday to help those who just weren’t getting it. That helped a bit.

Posted by halcyon /roar/ on February 11, 2009, 12:07 PM
Th_names_thumb

This reminds me of the gender-biased remarks that the President of Yale (was it?) that said that girls just aren’t as good as boys in math and science. It’s a downward spiral for us girls to compete in these subjects and you shed some light on the subject. Girls are equally capable of suceeding in these fields… it is society that gives them the disadvantage from the start.

Posted by Ginevra86 on February 11, 2009, 01:02 PM

I really appreciate you writing this article. I’m a female high school senior and I LOVE math and science! Yes, I also love shoe-shopping, but it IS possible to love shopping and physics =]

Posted by Fwanninator on February 11, 2009, 02:18 PM
Photo0143_thumb

I agree wholeheartily with this article. Fortunately (or unfortunately for some things) I go to an all-girls’ school. We have no gender bias here, however, the main physics teacher is male. He’s awesome though but I would like to see more female teachers in physics. Admitedly we only have two male teachers (that physics teacher and an art teacher). The rest of the science teachers are female. I actually hope to one day achieve a Phd in Physics. My thing is though that I get along better with guys than I do with girls. Maybe it’s because of the science and graphic novel thing? It seems that more boys share my interests as if there are more geeky boys than geeky girls.

Ok… not sure if that made sense to anyone but me. Great article in any case! =D

Posted by Nia Black on February 11, 2009, 02:45 PM
Iconator_870a894c3025a65d8ba47052171babda_thumb

Well, Dawlish and the Archies, I’m not sure if you said that becuase you are on the lookout for female nerds or for some other reason, but I happen to agree with you. I, being a female nerd, happen to desire female friends to hang out with, but there are no other female nerds at my school! And since none of the guy nerds want to hang out with a girl, I’m sort of stuck. Thankfully, I’m working on my friends and slowly converting them to nerd-hood. :)
I love math and science is my favorite subject! I actually plan on becoming an astronomer one day.
At any rate, I loved this article. Go Ravenclaw, Go nerds of all genders, and DFTBA!

Posted by Olivia [Phoenix] WBM! on February 11, 2009, 05:07 PM
Photo_95_thumb

i agree and would also like to add history to the list. you’d think that with the absence of math and science all the girls would flock to the humanities courses including history. but at my university, the majority of history majors are male and about a quarter of my history class is female. where are all the girls going?

Posted by vomit on February 11, 2009, 06:20 PM
Magicducks_thumb

IBM does (or used to do) a summer program to teach girls about science, math, and engineering. I went when I was twelve and it was a lot of fun. Granted, I’m not majoring in any of those things (psych major, English minor), but it was a great learning opportunity.

I agree that schools need to make it clear that girls can do math and science.

Posted by MagicDucks [ROAR!] on February 11, 2009, 06:37 PM
Me_thumb

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I’m excited about programs that help girls rediscover the love of Science and Maths like the one IBM offers.

I live very close to The Johnson Space Center and they offer several clinics now to help girls fall in love with Science and Maths.

Posted by Doris on February 11, 2009, 08:36 PM
Ready to see Leaky in Color?