Nice blog Doris! I participated at my school’s Day of Silence today! I wore all black and didn’t speak all day (it was tough but for an amazing cause). :)

Posted by kendra.dumbledore on April 17, 2009, 07:29 PM
Avatar_nerd_thumb

This is such a sad story. Bullying is one of the worst things that can happen to you as a kid, and I hope that we can make a change in the world.

Posted by Imperiused! on April 18, 2009, 01:30 PM
Jonas_thumb

I heard about this. Its terrible!

Posted by NargleCatcher on April 18, 2009, 06:12 PM
Me_thumb

It is terrible, and if we all work together to educate people and let them know that words can hurt, maybe we can make a difference.

Posted by Doris on April 18, 2009, 08:26 PM
Img_0201_thumb

I am co-advisor of my school’s Gay/Straight Alliance, and we had a very successful school-wide observance of the Day of Silence on Friday. The students are so excited to see that their peers and teachers are willing to pay attention to why respect for all individuals is so important. To me, that is a sign of hope.

Posted by crikkita on April 21, 2009, 02:31 PM
Img_0201_thumb

Posted by crikkita on April 21, 2009, 02:31 PM
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

I am one of the unfortunate teenager’s who have gone through this kind of thing. High school is the most torturing part of growing up and it’s not the world. There are far more great things after high school. Far more nice people, far more nicer environment outside. It is sad that respect is lacking from our schools today, but even if you are just one person, you could actually make a stand, and realized who you really are.

We could actually start, just like what Doris said, with ourselves and the people around us. Respect everyone, whoever they are, at all cost. And I am pretty sure that it will pay forward, through those teenagers who are struggling through high school or mainly, their lives.

It is our choices that shaped us, just like what Dumbledore said, and I have chosen a path that will rise me. I hope other bullied teenagers will realize this. It is hard. But it’s a challenge that if faced will have a far more greater reward.

I do hope and pray that people around bullied kids will help them to avoid another tragedy like this.

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on April 23, 2009, 06:38 AM
Blondewitch_thumb

I am another who was bullied terribly all through school until I left for college. I’m straight, though; it would be nice to have a day of silence for kids who were bullied about ANYTHING, not only their sexual orientation. Other things hurt, too, and I’m still on mood-stabilizing medication today because of it.

Posted by harryplusrachel, Certified Book Purist on May 02, 2009, 10:05 PM

both my children were bullied quite severely their entire school life not just by other kids either. High school was the worst. It has practically destroyed them. left them both with many scars, not just the numerous physical ones. Many horrific things happened to them on a daily basis. The school didn’t care.
Certainly not the teachers.
I could write a book thicker than the seven volumes of Harry Potter and it still would not cover everything that happened. I detest bullies.
horrible creatures.

Posted by DobbyWinkyKreacher on May 09, 2009, 01:57 AM
Ready to see Leaky in Color?