LeakyNews.com

PotterCast 234: Good Ship Bad Ship

PotterCast
Posted by: Rosi
February 14, 2011, 11:22 PM

Happy Valentines Day! Love is in the air this week on a new episode of PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast. In addition to the latest Potter news, Melissa, John and Frank talk a lot about the canon (and non-canon) romances in the Potter books, as well the the world of Fan Fiction. The team have some Romantic Conclumdrums as well as a new bit called Good Ship Bad Ship. Enjoy it!

To listen, you can use iTunes or direct download -- you don't need to own an iPod to listen to PotterCast.

Happy listening!

LeakyCon 2011: A Harry Potter Conference in Orlando
Harry, A History Website
Podcast Alley
Digg

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Missing_you____by_luquidkiss_thumb

Ooh, this looks awesome!! Off to listen right now! (Crossing my fingers for mention of Quirrellmort :D)
(Hey, am I the first? Cool!)

Posted by Evealle on February 14, 2011, 11:28 PM report to moderator
Unknown_thumb

Pottercast! Back so soon!!! <3

Posted by Katie_Lily on February 15, 2011, 12:04 AM report to moderator
Wicked_poster_by_pixarjunkie_thumb

Awww! Cute! A Pottercast all about romance!

Posted by Scylla on February 15, 2011, 12:10 AM report to moderator
Emileesaurus_thumb

Hoping for Quirrellmort, too! ;)

Posted by Beansie on February 15, 2011, 12:39 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lf5ex5tfjg1qcfnt7o1_r1_500_1__thumb

YES!!! They are coming back every week :D :D

Posted by Jakk Hagrid on February 15, 2011, 04:08 AM report to moderator
Hg_thumb

I just listened to the show and enjoyed it. I have to offer another opinion, however. I was disappointed to hear that the Ron/ Hermione kiss was automatically accepted as the most romantic moment in the books. Now, don’t get me wrong. I loved that moment and was thrilled to see it happen, but I find that moment more funny than romantic. That Ron’s concern over house elves is what inspired to Hermione to act combined with Harry’s exasperation make it, for me, more comical than romantic. While there are lots of sweet moments that were mentioned (R/Hr near hand holding while sleeping, Fleur’s dedication to Bill), the story is from Harry’s point of view, so, for me, nothing can be as romantic as his moments with Ginny. His reaction to their first kiss (sunlit days) and to their bedroom kiss (she was the only real thing in the world) are lovely and romantic. His thoughts at the wedding while he was looking at her, thinking back to their time together, was sweet. As for the break-up not being at all romantic, again, I sort of disagree. It’s not that it’s a romantic moment, but there is a powerful moment of recognition and understanding that shows the strength of their connection that I think blows away almost everything else. After all, what is more romantic than sharing a deep understanding with another person? Isn’t that what we seek in a partner? One more moment I’d like to nominate: Harry watching Ginny on the Marauder’s map and wondering if she could feel that he was thinking about her.

Posted by Chreechree on February 15, 2011, 11:00 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

@Chreechree, I agree. In the books, nothing tops the romantic moments between Harry and Ginny. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come across that way in the films – at least not to me. I see very little chemistry between Dan & Bonnie in their scenes together. It’s disappointing.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on February 15, 2011, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

@Chreechree and @KB Prez – a also agree. I thought the scenes between Ron and Hermione were more funny than romantic. They didn’t seem particularly deep, and were more comical relief (with the one exception of Hermione crying over Ron’s actions with Lavender, except once again – it turned into more of a touching scene between Harry and Hermione more than anything else). The written scenes involving Harry and Ginny were much more romantic – her bedroom kiss, the marauder’s map scenes, her thinking of him right before his meeting with Voldemort in the forest, etc. I actually never even really liked that the two ended up together, but you can’t deny that it was (eventually) written romantically. And I also agree about how it comes across in the films – unfortunately, Dan and Emma ended up having so much more chemistry than Dan and Bonnie and Rupert and Emma. (and Chreechree is right, it is supposed to be Harry’s story. from the posts on some of the fan sites, you’d think it was all about the Ron and Hermione love story)

Posted by sueml on February 15, 2011, 01:49 PM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

I obviously meant “him thinking of her right before his meeting with Voldemort. . . .” What I wouldn’t do for an edit button!

Posted by sueml on February 15, 2011, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

Yay,great pottercast! :)

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on February 15, 2011, 02:34 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Yay Pottercast!!!!!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on February 15, 2011, 05:22 PM report to moderator

Ron/Hermione kiss wasn’t funny, I disagree with that I mean they were in the middle of open warefare. I do agree that Bonnie/Dan chemistry is not there, however. As for Ginny/Harry we really don’t get to see much of them exploring their relationship in the books since Harry has a bigger mission in destroying the horcruxes.

Posted by Bradyboy on February 15, 2011, 08:13 PM report to moderator

But I’m not sure if they were stricly talking about the books or the movies in general cause i Havent heard it yet.

Posted by Bradyboy on February 15, 2011, 08:14 PM report to moderator
Hhrbtshug_thumb

This was the best Pottercast in ages. This reminds me of the old school ones like 2-3 years ago where we you guys had alot of discussion but still died of laughter 3-4 times during the podcast. Keep doing them like this.

Posted by jbizz on February 15, 2011, 08:33 PM report to moderator
Img_0211__2__thumb

@Bradyboy – I can’t speak for the others who mentioned it, but I guess I thought of the kiss as humerous because of what led up to it – yes, they were in the middle of warfare and Ron’s concern for the house elves finally spurred Hermione’s passion – that kind of lifted the darkness of the war for a moment. Then Harry standing there aghast saying “is this the time?” I think it was meant to be a bit funny.

Posted by sueml on February 15, 2011, 09:10 PM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?