LeakyNews.com

Vanity Fair Profiles Stuart Craig's Oscar-Nominated Work in "Harry Potter"

Movies
Posted by: Stephanie_J
February 18, 2012, 08:41 PM

As part of a series leading up to next Sunday's Academy Awards, Vanity Fair is "pulling back the curtain on awards season’s most visually enticing films, revealing exclusive details of the creative process of art directors, costume designers, makeup artists, cinematographers, and more." Their latest profile piece is on Stuart Craig, production designer for all eight "Harry Potter films," who is nominated alongside set decorator Stephenie McMillan for best art direction.

Craig discusses the evolution of Hogwarts' appearance throughout the films, filming on location versus building a set, and how he put together the Room of Requirement. Craig also notes that a backdrop had to be painted for the Diagon Alley set in preparation for the opening of the Warner Bros. Studio Tour.

Ironically, in the aftermath of the films, some of the sets that were rendered in C.G.I. have had to be physically re-created. For instance, for the Warner Bros. studio tour in London, Craig says, “Diagon Alley had a green screen at both ends in the later films. On the studio tour, to see Diagon Alley with a green screen at the end is pretty disappointing, and so we have painted a backing in forced perspective, so that at least looking one way down the street, the illusion is complete.”
To read the complete piece, visit this page. Thank you to Joel and Valerie for owling with the news!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Wow, Diagon Alley was all a green screen? I should have known but still, its looked wonderfully real. That was nice they painted a backdrop for the tour. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on February 19, 2012, 01:37 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Oh wow, I’m first!! XD That hasnt happened to me in ages, yay! Lol

Posted by LunaLuver on February 19, 2012, 01:39 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

@LunaLuver, it wasn’t all a green screen. The central part was physically built, but it was continued into the distance with the aid of green screen.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on February 19, 2012, 02:31 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

@LunaLuver, Diagon Alley, including Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes was actually mostly a set, but they cannot build everything up high enough and the green screen allows them to add the tops of the buildings which was especially needed with Gringotts, and also Diagon Alley is meant to be quite long, and that certainly can’t be done without green screen as there is a limitiation on space.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on February 19, 2012, 06:02 AM report to moderator
Dhsmall_thumb

It’s about time these get credit for this sort of thing. All the environments have looked fantastic in every single film. Well deserved!

Posted by akcorr on February 19, 2012, 07:42 AM report to moderator

It is amazingly realistic; I would have never guessed it was green screened. Amazing and a job well done to the creators!

~Forever HP!

Posted by katelyner123 on February 19, 2012, 09:24 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

It’s a good thing that the scenes in the Room of Requirement went by so fast in the film, because looking at the stills of the piles of furniture just got me thinking, ‘Why so many chairs? Why would Hogwarts students with guilty consciences be hiding chairs, of all things?’

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on February 19, 2012, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Seemed real to me. I’m glad Stuart was able to build the backdrop to make fans happy.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on February 19, 2012, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Dh-all_s-fair-in-love-and-war_thumb

Yeah for awards!

Posted by Hermione_Granger_Weasley on February 19, 2012, 12:00 PM report to moderator

CONGRATS! I do try and appreciate whatever we’ve got but I still feel like Harry Potter was snubbed. Anyway, an award well deserved!

Posted by . on February 19, 2012, 12:33 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

They had loads of things in the Room of Requirement, but of course to make huge stacks of things meant buying lots of furniture.But they had lots of interesting stuff too. Did anyone notice the Troll Armour when watching the film? I have a picture of the troll armour (at Leavesden but not in the RoR), absolutely dwarfing me, I think I might use it as my avatar.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on February 19, 2012, 12:36 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

Yay, they definately deserve this award like they do any other! Any other awards for HP- keep ’em coming! :D

Posted by Grindylow_101 on February 20, 2012, 10:31 AM report to moderator
Hw_thumb

if they have Diagon Alley, i have Missmore Alley. thank you for inspiring me build my page ϟ ϟ ϟ

Posted by iamMissPotter on February 20, 2012, 11:26 AM report to moderator

Congrats to Harry Potter once again for winning a well-deserved award! I would LOVE to go to the tour in London and that is probably my number one place in the world I would like to go to right now! Like Grindylow_101 said, keep ’em coming!

Posted by katelyner123 on February 20, 2012, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

They deserve this kind of recognition!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on February 21, 2012, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?