In light of the release
Mar 12, 2001
Posted by bkdelongTLC
In light of the release of 2 books written for Comic Relief, J.K. Rowling has given interviews on BBC shows like Blue Peter and Newsround as well as a live chat on the BBC Comic Relief Web site. Transcripts will be posted as soon as they are available but here’s some of the things we learn about from what’s been answered so far:
- Ron Weasley’s birthday is March 1st
- The “Arabella Figg” Dumbledore refers to at the end of “Goblet of Fire” is indeed the same Mrs. Figg that takes care of Harry for the Dursleys.
From Goblet of Fire: “Now I have work for each of you. Fudge’s attitude, though not unexpected, changes everything. Sirius, I need you to set off at once. You are to alert Remus Lupin, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher – the old crowd. Lie low at Lupin’s for a while; I will contact you there.”
From Sorcerer’s Stone:
Every year, Harry was left behind with Mrs. Figg, a mad old lady who lived two streets away. Harry hated it there. The whole house smelled of cabbage and Mrs. Figg made him look at photographs of all the cats she’d ever owned.
- The Dursley’s are named after a town called Dursley in Gloucestershire, England.
- You can do unfocused and uncontrolled magic without a wand; (for instance when Harry blows up Aunt Marge) but to do really good spells, you need a wand.
- Harry’s middle name is “James” named after his father.
- That Hogwarts students dress as Muggles for “Red Nose Day” and have a spell casting red noses on everyone.
- One Galleon is worth about 5 British Pounds ($7.32)
- There were 13 different drafts for Chapter 9 of “Goblet of Fire”
- A few Hogwarts professors have had spouses
- We will learn more about James Potter’s family history in the next book
- That if Ron likes Hermione as more than a friend is evident in “Goblet of Fire”
- Harry will notice Ginny more in the next book
- J.K. Rowling’s wand of choice is phoenix feather and walnut.