Accio Quote Uncovers Canon in Old J. K. Rowling Interview

112

Jun 30, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Following up on The Herald piece we told you about yesterday, where reporter Anne Johnstone looked back on the past ten years and previous interviews with Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling, our Floo partner Accio Quote now has the June 2000 interview cited in the article included in their collection. Not only is this interview an addition to the resource’s archive, it also provides us with further canon detail on the topic of death. The original article expands on the notation made by Miss Johnstone in her latest article about the title characters fate in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. As cited on the Accio Quote News Blog, Jo says in the original article from 2000:

One of her fundamentals is that you can’t reverse death: “That’s a given. Without it the plot would fall apart, though in Book Seven you’ll see just how close you can get to the dead. You can be brought back from being petrified and from injuries that in the real world are mortal, depending on the degree of skill that a particular wizard possesses. You can’t go to any wizard and say ‘Will you cure my terminally ill relative?’ It’s a mirror image of the real world in that sense.”

Also from the article, Jo also remarks of Professor Snape as a ‘compendium of all the bullying teachers she ever encountered,’ and relates a particular event with a previous book editor and a ‘particularly violent bishop.’

“In Philosopher’s Stone I had a game of chess between Harry and Ron which Ron won by using a particularly violent bishop. My editor made me take it out. He didn’t want me to have a bad bishop. Well, he’s back, I have a different editor now.” [This refers to GoF23, where Ron beats Harry at chess with the bishop.]

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be published on July 21st.

39 Responses to Accio Quote Uncovers Canon in Old J. K. Rowling Interview

Avatar Image says:

Wow! What an excellent find :)

Avatar Image says:

Interesting, very interesting. I wonder exactly what JKR means by what she said about death exactly and how will we see this played out in the book?

Avatar Image says:

“Five and six will be shorter!” Well, I guess that was a little bit of wishful thinking.

Avatar Image says:

Wishful for her; I like them long.

Avatar Image says:

...mmmm i like this…20 days left…(yn)

Avatar Image says:

”...though in Book Seven you’ll see just how close you can get to the dead.” She’s got to be referring to going beyond the veil there. July 21 is too far away!!

Avatar Image says:

Snape is so going to end evil.

Avatar Image says:

Super! End to all the return-from dead theories concerning Dumbledore and Sirius, I hope. Not that I’m saying Harry won’t see them again, or that they won’t ‘reappear’ in the books… just: they are DEAD. sniff

Avatar Image says:

V-E-R-Y interesting…. I am now 100% sure that they go beyond the veil; it seems almost a given.

Avatar Image says:

Very interesting! I can’t wait! It’s already July here in the Netherlands!

Avatar Image says:

Draught of the Living Death, anyone? I think someone will be brewing up a batch of this and they will need the HBP potions book to do it…..

Back to the Room Of Requirement we go!

Great find Accio Quote!

Avatar Image says:

Guys, we’re definitely going behind the veil.

Avatar Image says:

I knew it! Those shadows in the background of the US cover just have to be those beyond the veil.

Avatar Image says:

Snape is going to bring someone back from the brink of death, possibly Harry. He’s the one with the most talent, we saw it with Draco and then again when Dd said he needed Snape’s help after the potion, and then again when Harry notes that Snape might have done more for Bill than Madam Pomfrey… his skills in healing and remedies are totally being emphasised. it’s obviously leading to something.

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! Drought of the living dead, i completly forgot about that. Although i think we can rule out sirius and dd being alive.

I hope we see whats behind the veil, they said in the book that there wasnt a body for sirius, why not? Avada Kevada kills you with no harm to the body, but wait, its not explained which spell bellatrix fired at sirius. I think that was deliberate.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!! Godric Gryffindor!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

great find you guys! and it has rekindled my hope that my dear Sirius may still be alive!!!!

i hope beyond hope!!!!

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

Definitely a beyond the veil reference. And I hadn’t thought about it before reading these comments, but I do now see that as possibly a reference to Snape’s healing skills too. Also, didn’t Dumbledore say something to the effect that those we love never truly leave us? And didn’t Harry, at the end of HBP, without really understanding why he was saying it, say something to the effect of “he’s not as gone as you might think” about Dumbledore? On the back of the UK children’s cover, in the light streaming out of Hogwarts, if you turn the cover upsidedown, an image of possibly Dumbledore can be seen in the light. Note that no previous headmaster/mistress of Hogwarts was ever buries at Hogwarts, but Dumbledore specificly requested it. I think that some form of his “presence” will be in action to some degree at Hogwarts.

Avatar Image says:

Sirius is awesome! we are definitly going to find out what’s behind the veil and it’s hopefully going to be a living sirius!

Avatar Image says:

Sirius was kill by the fall beyon the veil, not by a curse.

We hear voices comming from behind the veil. Who knows what JKR will do with that…

It is not without intentions that when Snape was introduced, his powers as a potion maker were listed. I believe JKR has something up her sleeve.

Avatar Image says:

Very Very interesting. Could it be Harry?

Holy Toledo! =:-O

Avatar Image says:

I still thinking that we won’t go behind the veil, but it sure sounds like we will be speaking through it to the other side!

Avatar Image says:

It has to be that they go behind the veil. Do you think its just coincedence that Jo says:”It’s a mirror image” Could it possibly be related to Harrys two-way mirror? The one Sirius gave him. Just a though

Avatar Image says:

Yes, I definitely think we’ll be going behind that veil in DH.

Avatar Image says:

Mabey that means the draught of the living death….or if Harry is a horcrux mabey he dies after expelling it from himself? But who has the power to help him, Slughorn? Snape..Hmmmm. rubbing my chin thoughtfuly very interesting.

Avatar Image says:

“You can be brought back from being petrified and from injuries that in the real world are mortal, depending on the degree of skill that a particular wizard possesses. You can’t go to any wizard and say ‘Will you cure my terminally ill relative?’” Am I the only one who thought of the Longbottoms?

Avatar Image says:

No one has commented about the Bishop part. I can visualise (whats that woman name who wants the books banned?) jumping up shouting – “see! I told you she is blasphemous!” ha. I have to say Jo is a little mischeivous and rebellious at times which just adds to the charm of Jo.

I have to admit what she says about death and book 7 is the biggest hint dropped that I am shocked she said it! All this effort to avoid spoilery and of all the people to slip a big hint is Jo!! I interpret this that we will be meeting the dead somehow. We already meet some of the dead in the form of Hogwarts ghosts, wall paintings and from the clash of Harry and Voldermonts wands. But all of these are just the traces of when they were alive – not the actual dead. We are certainly going behind the veil methinks as Luna says her mother is behind it along with we know for sure Sirious. We hear voices from it. We visit it twice in OOTP. It is too big and significant to be a red herring.

• Spoiler warning for Dark Materials (Golden Compass):

I hope we dont get a similar state of afterlife visit as in the Dark materials trilogy which in itself was a brilliant but scary depiction of death. I will not help making comparisons to Dark materials if Jo goes in that direction. In dark materials – the dead were trapped souls and the veil in OOTP sounds very much like trapped souls (the voices, the image of sirious “falling” into it)

• End Spoiler *

One things for sure though – its going to be a hellova read – my heart is beating fast as we get ever closer to the release date!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think that we should accept this straight up as going behind the veil, it could mean Harry almost dieing and then being revived by Snape? or Someone, but still being affected, like Eragon in Eldest, for those who haven’t read it, Eragon has a problem with his back and any time he exerts himself he gets a massive pain… maybe something similar will happen to Harry? Though i hope not.

Also, in the interview Jo didn’t directly say that Snape was a compendium of all bullying teachers, that was written by the interviewer. So snape still needs explaining rather than saying “yep he dies bad” we still aren’t sure… Anyone know what Myopia is?

Avatar Image says:

Potterdämmerung, Dumbledore isn’t dead. Therefore, they’re not return-from-the-dead theories. Personally, I don’t care about Sirius, but here’s an interesting point: Siris fell trhough the veil. If Harry’s going behind the veil (and returning), that means theoretically Sirius could return too.

Very interesting!

MarkC, Myopia is the Greek word for near-sightedness. Those with Myopia (like Harry) can see nearby objects clearly but distant objects appear blurred to them.

Avatar Image says:

The only way the two way mirror can play a role is if Sirius had it in his back pocket when he disapeared behind the veil. Can a dead man say “Accio mirror” ? Further more, Harry would have to say ” Reparo” to his own mirror that he broke voluntarily, remember.

I am more concerned now by what JKR said in the australian Interview about two main characters that have to die. There will be a lot of crying after having read that book.

Remenber that in the old classic fairy tales, a lot of deaths of main characters takes place, and yet, these stories are still popular with children.

I am ready for the worst.

Avatar Image says:

”...you’ll see just how close you can get to the dead.” Does that mean that you can get close to them by going beyond the veil but not almost dying yourself?

Avatar Image says:

Mollywobbles – I didn’t know anybody outside of Toledo said that … well, who knew?

And I’ve had the notion that we’re going behind the veil for some time now – let’s see how accurate that is.

Robbie,

I think mollywobbles is from Ohio.

Also, didn’t that get a lot of play from Klinger on MA*SH? That’s where I picked it up from. Just an FYI….

On Topic… Thanks so much to Accio Quote. These nuggets are great. It certainly appears that Jo was more candid in years past. It really does give you pause. No matter what, I so hope Harry survives!

Avatar Image says:

Guys, the Draught of Living Death is a sleeping potion. It puts people into a sleep so deep that it almost seems as though they’re dead. It doesn’t bring people back from the dead, and I don’t think it counts as being almost dead. Just sleepy.

Avatar Image says:

I would be a bit disappointed if we go through the veil in DH. I think the veil should remain a mystery since “beyond the veil” is just a metaphor for the afterlife. That’s just my two cents on that though :)

Avatar Image says:

The violent bishop showed up earlier than Goblet of Fire. He also appears on page 198 of Chamber of Secrets.

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: Forgot about this... It was cool...

Write a Reply or Comment