“Order of the Phoenix” DVD to Contain Two Versions for Download

213

Oct 10, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Warner Brothers has now announced that the soon to be released Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD will contain two downloadable digital files. Video Business reports that

The latest Potter installment will allow DVD buyers to download the film to a PC or a portable device, making Warner the first studio to so marry physical media and downloads.

Jim Wuthrich, Warner senior VP of digital distribution, unveiled the development at Tuesday’s DVD Forum conference here, as he discussed the studio’s plans to meet what it sees as a growing consumer demand for digital content.

“You can buy the DVD and have the option of the digital copy’ said Wuthrich. “This future-proofs the format for consumers.”

As reported previously the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD will be released here in High Definition and Standard DVD formats on December 11. The UK will see the arrival of the Potter DVDS a month earlier on November 12. Also WB will be releasing the previous Harry Potter films on High Definition DVDs and these discs, various gift sets, and the special DVD game are all available for pre-order in our Cauldron Shop.

One related note: Thanks to Pruneau from La Gazette du Sorcier who let us know the Order of the Phoenix DVD will be released in France on January 11, 2008.

UPDATE: Britta emailed to say the OotP DVD will be released in Germany on November 16t, and another reader emailed to say November 20 will bring the release of the DVD in Italy.

21 Responses to “Order of the Phoenix” DVD to Contain Two Versions for Download

Avatar Image says:

that’s a really great idea!

YAY for video makers!! :D

Avatar Image says:

That makes it very easy to pirate the DVD, but I guess it’s going to end up happening anyway so they might as well give the fans more options.

I just have to say that they better change the date of release in the US to the same time as the UK, since this new download feature will make it ridiculously easy for US fans to get the DVD illegally a month earlier.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with T_D_O the date difference will make it very easy for those who pirate DVD to make alot of money selling to us in the US. It might be wrong but it is done everyday.

Avatar Image says:

The download feature wont neccessarily increase pirating as the copying of DVD’s is already easy enough for them – Besides the download file is not DVD transfer friendly whereas copying a DVD is. But I also agree the month difference is puzzling in terms of beating piracy. I wonder what is their logic with this decidion? Does anyone know? There must be a good reason…

Avatar Image says:

Wait, so I can put it on my iPod? Sweet!

Avatar Image says:

Those lucky UK people…lol, it comes out on Natalia Tena’s birthday there. And also on my friend Ashlee’s birthday as well.

Avatar Image says:

Er… that sounds like they’re shooting themselves in the foot. Then again, it’s not like the current piracy precautions are doing anything to stop it, so why bother. At least legal owners will be able to download it and use it as they see fit without feeling like they’re doing something that they shouldn’t.

Avatar Image says:

to anyone who cares: The Order of the Phoenix DVD will be released in Italy on November 20th…

Avatar Image says:

I agree with El Caz, it’s just another way for people to pirate the movie. But it’s still pretty cool, I’m excited to get it on my iPod. :)

Avatar Image says:

it´s good, then it will be easier fome to get hold of a and crapck the stupid protection they put on on thier stuff,it´s good that the EU has forbidden it too. still it will save me some time from cracking the DMR protection and format it MP4 so i can view it free on mine ipod touch. Like that take times, 40 min and i cann have it out for sharing on my torrent site. thanks WB for making my life a little easier, and god bless me for not living in america and in the land of the free and where we still have inteligent laws that makes sence , Netherlands and sweden.

Avatar Image says:

This particular move I think is a good one. It won’t make pirating any easier, because honestly it can’t get much easier than it is now. But for those of us who enjoy putting our legally paid for movies on our iPods, this makes it so we won’t have to resort to using limewire to get an iPod friendly version of the movie. Very smart.

However, I am still hoping the American release date will be changed, because the month long wait WILL result in this movie being pirated like there’s no tomorrow.

Professor Potter asked:

I like to pretend that someone unfamiliar with the different date formats between the US and the UK saw “11/12” and got confused. And then the error just got passed along under the assumption that there was a good reason for it. But that’s just in my head. :)

Avatar Image says:

I’d much rather have these two versions: One of the original film, and the other with all deleted material put back in, so we can chose either depending on which is better :) This is just useless to me. I’m happy with just playing by putting the disc in my pc, and I don’t intend on owning an Ipod….

Avatar Image says:

If a digital version is going to be available for download, will it a, be available to all on the net ? and b,are they going to suppy and gaurenttee “clean” downloads ?free from bugs adaware spyware viruses worms etc ?

Avatar Image says:

if Warner Brothers give you a Downloadable copy they can expect piracy like crazy of this movie

Avatar Image says:

Just a thought maybe we in the U.S. have to wait a extra month because there will have to be so many more copies made for us here.

Avatar Image says:

arent they saying people who buy the dvd can download the movie to their pc so they can then play it on the pc without the dvd in the drive or transfer it onto their hand held video players?

Avatar Image says:

Um, so when does the dvd come out in Canada? I’m hoping early in November like places besides the US because I’d buy my darn DVD from Canada if it were released earlier. What is this business of releasing it a month after European countries? And furthermore, they’re releasing TOO MANY versions of the film.

A) Full-screen single disc B) Wide-screen single disc C) Wide-screen 2-disc special edition with the special features D) Massively expensive box set E) High-Def special edition F) Blu-Ray special edition G) And one of those allows for a digital copy, but I don’t know which exactly, but the digital copy is still yet another offering!

Also, what ever happened to just freaking releasing the film with 2 discs like always, rather than price gouging and charging us more since GoF for the special edition vs. the single disc editions! When I went to buy GoF, I bought the single disc edition because it was the normal DVD price of $17 on sale the first day. The stupid special edition was $24 and regularly $34!!!!! It was ridiculous! Despite all the WB has done for the HP franchise and the control they have given over to the directors and Rowling and the actors, they need to stop killing the paying audiences by fiddling with the DVDs and charging outrageous prices for the special features. Just give us the 2-disc edition and skip the single discs! Every other DVD on the market has a second disc for the same price!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

does this mean i can download it to psp

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix is released on DVD the 28/11 in Norway! =D

Write a Reply or Comment