First Photos Online from J. K. Rowling Open Book Tour Stop in New Orleans

Oct 18, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling continued her Open Book Tour to the city of New Orleans, Louisiana today where she hosted a reading for 1,600 school children from the state’s 80 Orleans Parish public and charter schools. The first photos of this event are now online and can be seen here courtesy of the AP. A particularly touching photo is now also online from the Times Picayune, which shows Jo pausing the signing of her book to speak with a fifth grader who has enjoyed all seven Harry Potter novels in braille.

Rowling, who read the first chapter of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” at the New Orleans Convention Center as well as answered twelve lucky students’ questions, expressed the importance of reading by telling her audience:

“If you can’t read what else do you have? It helps in everything else. You’ve got to read.”

The AP is also reporting Harry Potter publisher Scholastic, has donated ‘10,000 copies of “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” Rowling’s first Harry Potter book, to Orleans Parish public school students. The company also announced it is donating a complete set of the Harry Potter series to each public school and public library in New Orleans.’

More news is expected to come from this event. We will update as soon as further details come online.

16 Responses to First Photos Online from J. K. Rowling Open Book Tour Stop in New Orleans

Avatar Image says:

I’m very happy about the generosity of JKR’s time and Scholatic’s merchandise to that area. I think allot of people just don’t realize how devastated New Orleans still is.

Still. I’d like to see people with power do things like this more often.

Voldemort doesn’t care about black people. Shrek does a double take

Avatar Image says:

♥ Beautiful as ever. And so nice of her to sign all of those books!!

Avatar Image says:

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL.makes me feel proud to be a potterFan ,the kindness and genrosity is over whelming (obviosly there is the hope of more sales by the publishers,even so ) I dont see that a “higher power” has enforced this generosity ! . ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL ! Bless you all .

Avatar Image says:

WoW! She’s so nice! I can’t wait for the appearance in NY tommorow! I won tickets to see her there!! BAM!! I’m so excited! :)

Avatar Image says:

So I guess we’re not going to get the questions and answers from these past two events, just the New York one? I saw some questions from the LA event in some article, but they were not too illuminating.

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s great that she does this. I’m sure she does it only for the fans and the experience, which makes it even more special. (Though I don’t doubt Scholastic does it for the hopes of more book sales)

Avatar Image says:

The picture of Jo with the little boy who read all the books in Braille made me tear up! What an amazing kid (and what a lovely author) :)

Avatar Image says:

It is just great that there is still some goodness in all this darkness. Harry Potter has brougth light to the world and it is so sad to hear the stories of thoses who have lived through such hard times and knew that Harry Potter, a fiction character, gives them hope. We need change and the basics should be the themes of Harry Potter (join the HP Allience)

Avatar Image says:

How can you not love Jo? I just wish we could have the questions and, above all, the answers from these two events – I have a dangerous obsession with Harry Potter, and I love it.

Avatar Image says:

OMG that picture of Jo with the blind boy brought me to tears. That was so touchning! I love her!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I would’ve cried if I were that boy. She’s just so… amazing.

Avatar Image says:

The picture with the blind boy is so touching. The fact that she actually reached out to him makes me tear-up…....

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to see everyone at the Carnegie Hall reading at 7p.m.!

Avatar Image says:

Goodness, she is so beautiful! Everytime I see new photos my heart swells up and I’m just in awe! Geez, I love her. I’m so glad she went to ‘Nawlins!

Avatar Image says:

The photo of Jo touching the hands of the blind little boy, is yet another reason why I love Jo so much! That photo, I have to say, brought tears to my eyes.

Avatar Image says:

okay, so i’m not the only one who had a surge of emotions seeing the picture of Jo with the kid. beautiful. ah i luv the beauty and luv Harry Potter gives us. :`-)

Write a Reply or Comment