Chris Rankin: ‘Unlikely’ to return for HBP; Hopeful for “Deathly Hallows”

116

Oct 19, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

A new video interview with Harry Potter actor Chris Rankin is online in which he speaks briefly about his hopes for returning as Percy Wesley in the final two films. Mr. Rankin sat down with TV3 in New Zealand to talk about his involvement in the Armageddon Pop Culture Expo and his experiences working on the Harry Potter films. When the topic of whether he’ll be returning for the sixth and seventh films, “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” came up, Mr. Rankin replied: “Who knows?”

Mr. Rankin went on to note that he’d love to return as Percy Weasley and said:

“It’s unlikely that he’ll be in the sixth film but for the seventh film, judging by the book, he should be there.”

This interview also features his thoughts on fellow Harry Potter actor Dan Radcliffe’s much talked about play “Equus” and the small professional theater company he created in England.

Thanks to Jas from DanRadcliffeOnline.com for the heads up.

22 Responses to Chris Rankin: ‘Unlikely’ to return for HBP; Hopeful for “Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

Well there has to be a reason they brought him back for OOTP and did not even give him any lines. My mom kept asking who he was and I had to explain Percy to her. I think they needed to reintroduce him because he has to come back for 7.

Avatar Image says:

Man. What about the scene where he barges into the Burrow with Scrimgeour?! Dangit, dangit, dangit.

Avatar Image says:

I did wonder he showed up in OotP. Is it even disclosed in the movie that he is a Weasley? They could have just as well left him out, although I find it a pity. Percy is a Weasley after all and Chris Rankin is a truly fine guy. I wished they had included him in all the movies, but they have left out the estrangement between Percy and his family, thus the reconciliation scene in DH is not necessary. In HBP, he just accompanied Scrimgeour to the Burrow for Scrimgeour to be able to talk to Harry. They might leave out that scene completey and have Scrimgeour talk to Harry only at Dumbledore´s funeral, if ever. I have a hunch we, sadly, will not see Percy/Chris in the remaining two movies.

Avatar Image says:

If he is not in 6 (HBP), he will have no reason to be in 7 (DH). The movies have never addressed the fact that Percy had a falling-out with his family. There are many other reasons for Scrimgeour to show up to the Weasley’s—they don’t need to use Percy. Seeing as it will be harder and harder to keep the movies “short”, I doubt he will be back.

Avatar Image says:

Disappointing to hear this, but I know they can’t do everything. I will not be as forgiving if they leave out the Harry and Scrimgeour confrontation, which I hope will be done even if Percy isn’t there. He MUST say he’s “Dumbledore’s man through and through.” I also LOVED hearing him tell Scrimgeour at the funeral that Dumbledore is never truly gone as long as those who are loyal to him remain at Hogwarts; it’s a wonderful allusion to Chamber of Secrets. But alas, ever since the third movie, many parts I found so endearing and character-developing have been left out. Ah well, I won’t judge just yet, since they’ve only begun filming!

Avatar Image says:

My first thought was sadly that Percy may have been cut because Scrimgeour has been cut as well, so there’s no need for Percy, but we’ll have to see.

Avatar Image says:

Argh, this sucks. If they don’t have Percy in HBP they could just cut him out of DH as well. I mean, the thing with Percy in DH is that he comes back to his family and understands what a fool he has been.

Avatar Image says:

He doesn’t even have a big role in Half Blood Prince. And they didn’t even mention the fight between Percy and Arthur in the 5th movie, so they could just cut Percy out altogether.

Avatar Image says:

in the past chris rankin has sounded like he felt that the success and quality of the film series depended on weather or not Percy was in the movies. Frankly, percy is at best a third tier character with little bearing on the plot or the events of the books. while it would be nice to see percy in the scene at the burrow at Christmas time with the minister, but Percy is an unnecessary component in that moment. and the film makers have already made their bed in terms of how much attention is given to the “Percy is a git” storyline.

Avatar Image says:

Guys he is only important in DH thats all and one more thing: HOW IS THE VOTING FOR OOTP GOING? HE IS AT 26% AND 300 IS AT 30% ONLY 3 DAYS AND THE AWARD IS GOING TO BE GIVEN TO 300 VOTE PEOPLE!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I totally understand all the reasons for not having Percy in DH, but personally, I am so hoping they put him in. I really think that the final movie should have as many of the characters as they can from previous movies, i.e. Victor Krum, Oliver Wood, Fleur, Colin Creevey… It would really wrap it up, even if some of them were just there at Hogwarts in the battle with no lines.

Avatar Image says:

well he has to be in HBP to carry on their family feud… because their reconciliation in DH is very important! at least in the eyes of Harry… who thinks of the Weasleys like his own family.

Avatar Image says:

Well, about the scene with Scrimgeour and Percy- It’s not necessary for them to emphasize the Harry VS the Ministry plotline for the films, since that was already one of the focal points of OotP. I think Percy’s relationship is important though, but maybe not for the films so much. sigh People who only see the films miss out on so much!

And since they haven’t made mention of Percy falling out with the family yet, I’ve got to say I’ll be thoroughly disappointed if in DH he doesn’t get his chance to come back and avenge Fred. It was a part that did get me teary-eyed, and Fred’s death is the craziest part in the thick of the battle, especially right after Ron and Hermione kiss which would be oh-so-dramatic!

Avatar Image says:

I do hope he comes back, but for the movie-goers, it would be quite confusing seeing as he had no lines in the 5th movie, and virtually no part in the 4th or 3rd. Was Percy even in Goblet of Fire?

Avatar Image says:

“I really think that the final movie should have as many of the characters as they can from previous movies, i.e. Victor Krum, Oliver Wood, Fleur, Colin Creevey”

Nigel will get to die instead of Colin.

Avatar Image says:

Yay I saw this when it was on TV, What do you guys think of our news?

Avatar Image says:

Maybe Percey’s falling out with the Weasley’s was filmed but edited out of the final draft. Like others have said, it’s surprising they brought it him back, and he didn’t even speak any lines. Hopefully these scenes will be included when they finally release extended editions.

Avatar Image says:

I really wish he could be in the 6th and 7th movies. They take so much away when they take parts of the book out of the movies.

Avatar Image says:

I think they cut out the stuff that isn’t necessary to move the story along and the stuff involving Percy isn’t important. I think they do a good job deciding what should and shouldn’t be cut. All the movies are great. I didn’t think about Percy once when I was watching OOTP. I mean I know Chris Rankin IS in that scene where Dumbledore escapes, but he’s not that noticeable because it only shows him once and he doesn’t even have a speaking role.

Avatar Image says:

I think the scriptwriters got it wrong. Percy is not a marginal character in the books at all. He is a sharp contrast to the rest of his down to earth own family: pompous, self-absorbed and utterly irritating yet so funny because of that. He is also a lesson about how riches and power do not necessarily bring you happiness without a loving family.Percy does see the error of his ways in the end. He is a Weasley, he realizes that and in DH he gets back with the family. Should be in HBP and DH. And no matter how small his role in the movies is Chris Rankin played Percy perfectly. I hope he will be back.

Avatar Image says:

Who cares? People don’t notice he’s missing anyway. He didn’t speak in the last movie fo God’s sake! I would be insulted if I was him.

ghygax7lzgbkmin nxm8roqs li894ibylsp2po