113

Oct 24, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

We have the first report of sort from location filming for the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” movie. TLC reader Georgie was in the village of Lacock, Wiltshire, England tonight, and spotted a house that had “massive lighting/ filming looking thing in front of it.” She then talked with the security guards who told her the home was indeed to be used in the filming tomorrow, however no filming was taking place there this evening. You can see a photo of this house, which Georgie took using her cell, here in our galleries. At this point we do not know if this is to be the home of Slughorn where he is hiding at the beginning of Half-Blood Prince (the security people were uncertain which scene it was for as well), but it looks promising!

UPDATE: TLC reader Pinkmoosely owled to say he was in the Red Lion pub in Lacock, and said some of the local residents had been talking about “blackout blinds” provided to them for use during the filming. Pinkmoosely also reports that even though it was quite late in England, “there is still quite a lot of activity on site a huge marquee and many large flood-lamps lighting certain areas (backstage and crew areas i think).” “The most interesting thing is at the bottom of the village where a mobile platform has a large inflatable cylinder suspended from it, several crew members told me it lights up, and one told me when it is used to resemble the moon (viewed from the end this could be possible).”

All very exciting business indeed. Hopefully when filming does begin, security will not be too tight so additional reports can be made. If you are about in Lacock or near the Abbey, please send in your reports and we will post them.

Thanks very much to Georgie and Pinkmoosely!

30 Responses to “Half-Blood Prince” Location Filming Due to Start Tomorrow; Photo of House to be Used in Movie

Avatar Image says:

I thought filming started in September?

Avatar Image says:

sorry the picture is so rubbish! i only had my cell phone, and it was very dark! i’ll take my camara tomorrow!

Avatar Image says:

you are so freakin’ lucky. do you live in that neighborhood or something?

Avatar Image says:

thanks a bunch georgie. that’s good stuff. Defintely slughorn’s scene. I am dissapointed they kept it in at the expense of other stuff, but oh well.

Avatar Image says:

Where are the pictures of Hagrid’s Hut?! Maybe they’re being more secretive about this movie and they’re keeping the changes to his hut under wraps so that more time can be spent speculating on locations and various additions to it.

Seriously though, I wonder if pictures of filming here will leak. It will be interesting to see actors filming although I like the set pics too.

Avatar Image says:

Well I think this is much more exciting than the traditional rebuilding-of-Hagrid’s-Hut pics! I mean really, how many times do we need to see that thing going up? I think we can all use our imagination at this point.

Avatar Image says:

Georgie, I love you. I hope your camera as a nice zoom lens.

Avatar Image says:

Once again, anyone have couple grand so I can go and get the scoop? laughs Seriously, I am totally excited that a house has been pinpointed as potentially Sluggies house!

Avatar Image says:

celia, i live about 15 minutes away, so i thought i’d go have a look tonight. I’ll go tomorrow as well when they are actually filming and see if i can get something better!

Avatar Image says:

and in response to pinkmoosely’s update, the ‘large inflatabe cyclinder’ is the equipment that is going to be used to simulate moonlight in front of the house, not the moon itself. he just could describe it a whole lot better than me!

Avatar Image says:

@georgie: That’s awesome! I would totally camp out there if I was that close. LOL. They would have to make me leave.

@arik: What do you mean at the expense of the other stuff? We don’t even know what all they cut out yet. I think they probably just shortened some scenes in the book and took out some of the classroom stuff. Book 6 seems like it would be easy to convert and Steve Kloves is back and he does an awesome job with that.

Avatar Image says:

@celia: I think some credit is due to the screenplay writer of OotP, Michael Goldenberg, he did a really nice job.

Avatar Image says:

Looks like Sluggies House! WOOHOO! Thanks Georgie! woohoo!

Ooooh. Spinners End. ;)

Avatar Image says:

It’s so funny – the BBC Pride and Prejudice not only used the town of Lacock – they also used the Red Lion Inn for the dance where Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy meets Elizabeth for the first time. It’s so cool!!! Wish I was there then and now …

Avatar Image says:

So what do you think the house will be used for? My first impression was the Riddle mansion…

Avatar Image says:

At first I thought this was Slughorn’s place, then I was going all excited thinking it was Spinner’s End, then I remembered Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix) doesn’t start filming before next spring, and it popped my bubble, and now I’m pretty sure it’s Sluggy’s place, and I’m happy. :) Thanks for the picture and report! :D

Avatar Image says:

Those lights in the balloons aren’t meant to represent the visible moon itself; they cast light in a broader wash than the older directional method, using stands or stadium lights, used to. With a floating wide-area light source, moonlight or sunlight can be less sharp and more evenly spread than they used to be done, giving much more control and a more realistic result.

Avatar Image says:

it doesn’t look quite run-down enough to be spinner’s…I’d be willing to bet it’s Slughorn’s. tho I could be wrong.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the reports, Georgie and pinkmoosely. How far are you guys from London-do you think the cast would be staying nearby or would they be commuting from their homes?

Avatar Image says:

Actually Mary could be right on with the Riddle Mansion. Aren’t Fiennes and Deather Eaters supposed to be there with Radcliffe? It would fit. I really hope they cut Slughorn’s house scene out.

Avatar Image says:

I have been to Lacock and that looks remarkably like the house that was used in the first film as Harry’s parents home. I pulled out the photo that I took while I was there and, even though the picture taken today is quite dark, they are either the same house or amazingingly similar.

Avatar Image says:

Although it does not look run down, it has the austure lines we associated with movie Snape. It does not have the soft feminine look that Slughorns “borrowed” cottage had. Plus that lighting made it look intimidating, much as Snape is. Although Bohnham-Carter is not filming until the spring, they could still be doing outside shots. It’s not hard to include a double for Bellatrix, especially if they cut their lines, and just have them rushing to the door. All the dialogue shots inside will be done on a set anyway. Moonlight, darkness, it fits chillingly.

Avatar Image says:

The cylinder is known in film making as a helium balloon light and it can be used to create a moonlighting effect. When they are filming they will float it above the actors and light it from the outside. They can also put black skirts on it to manipulate how the light settles in its environment.

Avatar Image says:

Correction I meant to say inside not outside.

Avatar Image says:

Georgie, cool information. Where is this house in Lacock? Sooo jelous you get to see the filming. Have fun and more pics please!

Avatar Image says:

I think this house rather resmbles the Spinners End. In the dark, it looks awsome! Thnx Georgie! BTW, Does anyone know whether the Twins are returning on not? I hope i see them in this film, since i like them a lot!

Avatar Image says:

This house could not be used for Spinner’s End if they remain true to the book. This house photo shows a gate, suggesting a garden, but the setting for Spinner’s End would be workers housing where you step from the street straight into the living room. I’ve checked the book against my knowledge of the architecture and that is just what is mentioned.

Avatar Image says:

Slughorn’s house me thinks?

Avatar Image says:

I believe it is the Slughorns house because they have casted the people for that scene and we havent heard who is going to be playing Narcissa Malfoy yet and she has to be there with Alan and Helena as Snape and Bella.

Write a Reply or Comment