PotterCast 123: This One Was Supposed to be Easy!

364

Oct 30, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast is here this week with more mailbag than ever before! We have gotten a bit of mail over the past week on certain subjects and our own Kristin Brown is back with us to discuss what is on our readers’ minds. On this last episode with Melissa before she goes off to write her book, we also talk about the newest pictures of the ‘Half-Blood Prince” filming in the UK, Patrick Doyle’s moving comments on his battle with leukemia, and more “Order of the Phoenix” DVD release news. To listen, just hit the “Play” button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

“This One Was Supposed to be Easy!”

- Our last week with Melis so we’re airing out the mailbag.
- First pictures come from the “Half-Blood Prince” Set.
- Melissa’s interview with “The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.”
- Voldemort is all about the dramatics.
- John’s dream about Moochka.
- Make vlogs about “Jingle Spells!”
- Thank you for the gifts.
- Theorising about how Neville copes going to work from the Leaky Cauldron.

RT: 1:13:14

Editor: Stede Bonnett

Scribbulus
Podcast Alley
Digg
Jingle Spells Wizard Rock CD

Direct download (33 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (9 MB).

Remember you don’t need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

20 Responses to PotterCast 123: This One Was Supposed to be Easy!

Avatar Image says:

So sad, it’s Melissa’s last PC for awhile… Good luck finishing the book and come back soon!!!

Avatar Image says:

Currently listening and really enjoying this episode. The question, “What would Harry think about Dumbledore being gay?” was just posed. Interestingly, I was reading DH, trying to highlight some of the passages with Dumbledore and this passage stuck out at me.

“Grindelwald tried to stop Voldemort from going after the wand. He lied, you know, pretended he never had it.” Dumbledore nodded, looking down at his lap, tears still glittering on his crooked nose. “Tey say he showed remorse in later years, alone in his cell at Nurmengard. I hope that it is true. I would like to think he did feel the horror and shame of wht he had done. Perhaps that lie to Voldemort was his attempt to make amends…to prevent Voldemort form taking the Hallow…” ”...or maybe from breaking into your tomb?” Harry suggested and Dumbledore dabbed his eyes. (DH, pg 719, American Edition)

Maybe Harry was more aware than we thought? Most likely, he was just alluding to Dumbledore’s friendship with Grindelwald.

All right, I’ll continue listening while finishing up some school work. Thanks for this, and I just thought I’d share that little tidbit. I found it quite intriguing yesterday.

Avatar Image says:

Aww, we’re going to miss you, Melissa! Finish your book super quick so you can come back, and so we can read it! I’m looking forward to it!!

Avatar Image says:

Good luck with the final touches on your book, Melissa! We will miss you, but wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Oh, and poor Moochka. John’s dreams are enlightening but…frightening, as well.

Avatar Image says:

Have fun storming the castle . . . er writing the book! You’ll be missed, Melissa – but I’m sure I’m not alone in looking forward to reading the finished product!

On Dumbledore … I still don’t get why Dumbledore’s orientation (or any aspect of back story that didn’t make it into the books) is of any more relevance than fan fiction. Even though JKR’s comments on the books are generally considered canon, I prefer to think of them – especially when it comes to back story – as part of the creative process.

I can see one important reason why Dumbledore needed to be in love with Grindlewald – after all, Dumbledore needed to defeat the wizard who was fighting with an unbeatable wand. It would make sense if Jo had created the love aspect as that would make sense because Dumbledore acting out of love would have been an act of saving Grindlewald from himself – which would only have been possible as an act of love.

But other than creating a set of self-consistent characters, the back story – no matter how shocking – just doesn’t seem to be to be over important in terms of interpreting or enjoying the books.

Bloody ‘ell.

Avatar Image says:

About Harry not being a horcrux; it seems to be a really tiny technicality to say he wasn’t one. He was holding a piece of Voldemort’s soul, and by doing that was helping to keep Voldemort alive, so even if he technically wasn’t a purposely created “horcrux” he was acting 100% as one.

Avatar Image says:

Yes -good luck with the book Melissa.

The Dumbledore is gay controversy was the biggest issue in Potter Fandom -EVER. It should have a chapter of its own in your book. My only concern is the apparent reluctamce -or simply inability of anyone on the LC editorial board to understand just why it upset so many people. Quite strange really.

But – best wishes – with the exception of the extreemly ill advised interview with GLAAD, you have done wonderful work over 5 years.

Avatar Image says:

I think what the last reporter meant was JKR’s revelation will forever be considered part of the books – the “real end” (it is acting like an unwritten “Epilogue”). I don’t think she was trying to say JKR was “finished” as a writer.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the awesome episode, guys!

Avatar Image says:

WOW! That’s the first time I have listened! I was blown away. You are all so cool. I will be listening, from now on, you can bet! Oh, and John….you be nice to that kittie! No Dunk Tanks. (she’ll come and get you, my friend! Trust me~) Thanks, for your great show! :)

Avatar Image says:

Meeeeeliiiisssaaaaaaaaaa! good luck with book, but come back soon!

Avatar Image says:

Enjoyed the podcast as always, but I do want respectfully to make a comment on the discussion about the Bible’s teachings about homosexuality. It’s true that in the Old Testament homosexuality was condemned as sinful, and there were also many other laws and rules (on the podcast you mentioned some of the wilder of them). But in the New Testament, Peter had a vision about eating meat that had formerly been considered “unclean” for Jews, and the meaning of the vision was that Christians can accept people of all nationalities and races, without making them keep all of the Jewish law. So Christians were never meant to stone people, keep kosher, etc., etc. However, while the New Testament re-interpretes and even rescinds many of the Old Testament laws, it continues to take a strong stance against various things, including homosexuality. While love is at the heart of the message of Jesus (not only did the former pope forgiven his would-be assasin, but Jesus forgave his executors), it’s just incorrect to say that Christianity means tolerance. Christian teaching and the Bible are a little more complicated and nuanced than that. Many Christians react with hatred and fear rather than with the love which (I think) God would want us to have, not because they are evil, but because they think there really is such a thing as sin. However, I hope that those of us Harry Potter fans who love Jesus can act more like Him, not by becoming too tolerant of sin, but by a true concern and love for all people regardless of where they are in their lives. Only in that way will we keep from discrediting our faith, and be able to give it a real hearing in today’s society.

Avatar Image says:

My Empire magazine reviewed OOTP DVD and said that Disc 2 was surprisingly lacking in content that made a second disc necessary! Uh oh! Has WB fluffed it again? :)

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, John, Sue, Kristin…Thank you all so much for going throught the e-mails, comments, exc. every week. I appreciate what you add to the fandom so much, and I know it can’t be easy to go look in the e-mail inbox when things like this come up. Some close friends of mine have even said some pretty ghastly stuff about the whole Dumbledore issue, so I know you’ve been completely loaded with it.

Thanks so much for still putting out the PotterCasts, guys! I hope you continue to do so for a long while :)

Avatar Image says:

Great show guys. Melissa, good luck with the book I can’t wait to read it.

I’m hearing PotterCast #122 from the direct link on the right. :-/

Avatar Image says:

Logically, how can the revelation that Dumbledore is gay change your impression of the book. There was no indication of this in the book, and any reference that someone could find in the books would have to be pure speculation of what Dumbledore was feeling, particularly towards Grindelwald. Please folks, don’t let this skew your feelings (especially the feelings you had when you first read each of these woderful books). It really appears as short sighted as Laura Mallory’s feelings on the books (which she hasn’t read). If you feel more comfortable with Dumbledore being straight (like it really has any impact on a story called “Harry Potter”) then continue to think of him that way. I personally won’t. I am as straight as you can get and I fully accept that Dumbledore is gay.

Also, though I don’t think it has been confirmed as Canon, there are very clear gay undertones to Frodo’s characters. This is especially evident towards the end of the trilogy. It is quite possible that if Tolkien had written The Lord of the Rings today he wouldn’t have hesitated to confirm this. The Lord of the Rings was written in a time of even less tolerance. Once again, it really means little to the overall story.

Remember folks. It’s not a desease. You can’t catch gay. Likewise, it is not a choice. You either are or your not.

Avatar Image says:

Good luck on the book Melissa. I’m going to miss hearing you on the show.

Avatar Image says:

Good show. I haven’t had time lately to read emails and comments on the site, so I was blissfully unaware of the extent the negative comments had gone to. Thanks to all the Leaky people who have waded through them and deleted what needed to be deleted. You guys deserve a vent. I agree with John. I’m baffled at why this gay issue is the one that bothers so many people to the extent it does. The reaction to Dumbledore’s sexual orientation being revealed mirrors the bigger picture in our society. I really, really, really don’t get it. Are vibrations still that low and slow in the human race? Anyway, keep up the good work, gang. Good luck, Melissa!

Avatar Image says:

personaly, i laugh out loud everytime i hear someone say they never looking at HP the same way or they throwing out the book or anything of the sort. In the books it is never mentioned that DD is gay so the whole thing is just outside info.

some people deserve a slap..introduce them to reality.

Write a Reply or Comment