“Half-Blood Prince” Location Filming Continues in the UK

115

Nov 16, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Filming for the sixth film, “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” is continuing this weekend in Surbiton, a suburban area near London, England. The Wandsworth Guardian is reporting crews are preparing to film scenes at a local train station beginning this Friday through Sunday. Christopher MacKellaich, a Sergeant from the British Transport Police, commented on the filming in the article, which is scheduled to take place during the night, by saying:

“We will have officers down at the station on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night to assist with any public order issues associated with the filming.

“They are going to be filming overnight from late evening to the early morning and we will have six or seven officers down there each night.”

The article also notes that transportation delays or changes are not expected as part of this production as ‘filming would take place when trains stopped for the night.’ Dan Radcliffe is also quoted in the article from a BBC interview we first told you about previously, in which Dan describes the “Half-Blood Prince” filming as going “really well.”

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” is slated to be released in theaters November 2008.

Thanks to Wendy for mailing in!

22 Responses to “Half-Blood Prince” Location Filming Continues in the UK

Avatar Image says:

So are we to assume that they are filming scenes with the Hogwarts Express?

Avatar Image says:

I never realised that “Surbiton” had a “railway station” but if filming is to take place there then I guess it must have. I do look forward to seeing the HBP we have so much to see before the DH.I wonder which “bit” will be filmed there ?

Avatar Image says:

heehee, more pics of Dan! yay!

Avatar Image says:

I wonder if this means the Draco on the train scene is in? It was supposed to be dark by this time. Or perhaps the Tonks and Harry jumping off the train bit?

Avatar Image says:

Anything on the actual train is filmed in a studio. They only do on-location bits for stuff on the platforms/elsewhere in the station. And I don’t think it would be Tonks & Harry jumping off the train, either, because that’s going to have to be done in-studio, too dangerous otherwise. Will be interesting to find out what this is :)

Avatar Image says:

“I was trying to work out why they would need another station (there are only the standard two in the books, but there is an image on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Surbiton_train_station.id.jpg and the front suggests it could be used as something other than a station.” (roonwit)

I see what you mean it is a large Modernist buildding built in 1937 and is now a Grade II listed building. What scene would a building like that apply to in the HBP book?

“(FYI: Last time they were filming at a train station, it was for the bit in OOTP where Harry sees Voldemort on the platform. Many reports came in of Ralph Fiennes in a suit and everyone was very confused. XD)” (Amy S)

Yes but that was filmed at Platform 4 of Kings Cross which stands in as Platform 9/3/4 in the films.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I play for a cricket club in Surbiton but during the summer :(. Still, its only an hour drive from home – I may pop down. There is a railway station there – Its small though and not in any way attactive but I suppose it does have an old England look to it which is probably what they are after. I wonder where it fits in the story? Hmm I think I may even go there now and find out!

Avatar Image says:

Professor Potter, oh, please go! And try and snap some pictures if you can! :)

Avatar Image says:

goodness me ! I have looked at the link for Surbiton station. shock horror this must sound rude but the outside looks very similar to a 1930’s theatre/cinema a fantastic building but the outside view doesnt look anything like I expected. (I confess I was hoping to see a “quaint” very old looking station, obviously the front of the building is a “front” for the railway I would imagine that it looks rather different inside)

Avatar Image says:

Hey I live near Surbiton! I’ve never seen the station but my friend goes to school near there. It sounds like the filming is going to be late at night though, so I doubt I’d ever get a glimpse of any of the actors, not to mention the fact that my mum would never let me go somewhere like that at that time. Oh well, it will be cool to go there when the film is out and to see the places that they used for filming.

Avatar Image says:

The article says that they are going to be filming at Cafe’ Chaud at the station… so not really for the station alone it seems.

I’m trying to recall which bit they’d film there… I need to reread… again. Though they are pretty inventive when they need to tie the shortened story together.

Avatar Image says:

It sounds like the station would fit well into the era of the early pensieve scenes, so it might be part of Merope’s story, or Tom Riddle’s childhood.

Avatar Image says:

Wow that’s a weird location to pick. I’ve been to Surbiton station loads of times and there’s nothing particularly interesting about it. It is a pretty generic train station, especially on the inside, and the cafe really isn’t anything special either. It is exciting though, I wonder what scenes they’ll be filming there.

Avatar Image says:

I agree roonwit, that sounds like one of the most likely explanations. Maybe the first memory.

Avatar Image says:

I want to thank you all for explaining how this station looks like and what you think they are filming there, because I’ve never been in the UK so I was curious of how this part of London is.

Then, it can be the scene when Harry and Tonks talk after walking out of the train, or maybe one of the memories Harry and Dumbledore ‘visit’. I hope someone can take some pictures, so we can figure it out which scene it is.

radcakesfan, lol that’s what I thought while reading the news Edward posted (btw thanks Edward!). I hope we can see some pics of him filming, Dan is looking specially handsome these days! Although I feel bad he has to film from late evening to early morning! But maybe he likes it.

Hello People,

We live in Kingston (just down the road from surbiton) The crew and trailers are in a carpark accross the street from our house, we’ve been watching people coming and going all day, but no one of interest. Just got back from the station. Didn’t see too much because they were really starting to set up.We did see a large billboard type thing erected and it had lights on it, but when going for a closer look we were politely asked to leave. Will be heading back in a few hours! Hopefully more to report then!

Avatar Image says:

@Grishley: Can you take some photos? Very curious to what scene this is going to be of.

Avatar Image says:

Any Dan sighting yet Grishley? I need pics.

Avatar Image says:

Wow, Grishley! How neat to know they’re filming so close to your house. You’re so lucky. Thanks for keeping the rest of us updated on what’s going on. I look forward to hearing more if your able to go back.

Avatar Image says:

Hey Guys! I have been sleeping all day because I was out there till 5 this morning!!! But it was completely awesome and I would do it again in a heartbeat! I’m not even sure where to start. I know a lot of you want to see pictures, but I honestly got one good one of the set, and I didn’t take any of the actors because I was in such a good spot I could watch the scenes being filmed I didn’t want us to get chucked out.

Okay, the scene was on platform 4. They erected a billboard that is for the perfume “Divine Magic”-Magic With Your Man. I couldn’t read the name of who it was by tho. Sorry. The first part of the scene involved Dan running down the stairs onto the platform and meeting Dumbledore. There were a whole load of extras leaving the platform as he was coming on. I thought it was interesting that Dumbledore was obviously dressed as a wizard, and the perfume is called “Divine Magic” but all the extras were dressed as Muggles. I can only guess they are maybe in a memory sequence?

Second part of the scene was on the same platform but they moved the billboard to get a different view.

The last part of the scene took place in front of the cafe on Platform 1. I didn’t think the cafe looked that interesting, but it was set up because I watched them take it apart after filming had wrapped. I can only guess they used this station because it is small, and you can easily disguise the outside exteriors. I don’t know how to upload pics to this forum, but when I get a chance I will post one of the billboard. The only actors used for this scene were Dan and Michael Gambon. But I did see the Dumbledore double, so it was pretty funny watching 2 Dumbledore’s walk around….maybe that’s just me.

It was a lot of fun watching Dan get ready before each take. It was FREEZING so he was kinda dancing around to keep warm, and one time I heard him laugh out loud, which was pretty special. He’s really small though, that was kinda surprising.

The place we were able to stand was right behind Odd Bins in front of a gate. I honestly think that the only reason they let us stay is because we were so quiet, and later on in the evening some of the crew would come over and talk to us. They were all very nice. It lasted until a little after 4 in the morning, but was one of the best times I have ever had! If you ever get a chance to go, you should definitely do it!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the update Grishley. But the other reports online say Dan was not there. Could it be possible you just saw his double?

Write a Reply or Comment