Gilderoy Speaks: A New Interview with Kenneth Branagh

122

Nov 19, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

MTV has a new interview with Kenneth Branagh who discusses his roles as Gilderoy Lockhart in “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.” The acclaimed actor says he was never approached about returning to “Order of the Phoenix” to film the part of Lockhart at St. Mungo’s.

“It would have been nice to have been in [Phoenix]. He was quite a popular character, Lockhart. There was no one quite like him’ Branagh said. “[But they never called] to my deep disappointment.”

The actor, who was nominated for an Academy award for his direction of the film “Henry V,” also confirms that he was one of the people considered to direct “Prisoner of Azkaban,” however he says he does not think he would direct “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”

“I was in the running to direct the one that Alfonso Cuaron did ["Prisoner of Azkaban"]. It was while I was working on the second one’ he revealed. “They all felt for a minute, maybe it’d be great if Ken did one. It didn’t work out. It would have been interesting.

“I think there is a limit to what a director can bring to the films for reasons I’m sure you can imagine’ he continued. “[But] The thing that really drew my interest was working with those kids. I liked them very much. I thought perhaps that their potential hadn’t yet been realized, or at least I felt they were hungry and were about make huge strides as actors.”

So would he still like to direct “Deathly Hallows’ maybe throw his hat into a discussion which already includes Guillermo del Toro among others? “I think they’ve now just got such a great bunch in the stable between Newell, Cuaron, Yates, and Columbus that they’ll probably choose from the ones that have already done one’ he said, squashing any chance he’ll come back. “[And they'll] do very nicely indeed.”

Thanks Sarah.

18 Responses to Gilderoy Speaks: A New Interview with Kenneth Branagh

Avatar Image says:

But what are his thoughts on Dumbledore being gay? LOL.

Branagh’s a good director, but I really can’t see him doing Deathly Hallows. I’d really prefer Del Toro, who’s got a knack for really dark films with heart.

Avatar Image says:

Del Toro would be amazing for Deathly Hallows, just take a look at his last film “Pan’s Labyrinth” visually and emotionally he would take the films to a whole other level

Avatar Image says:

I agree, I would absolutely LOVE to see Del Toro direct Deathly Hallows! However… I doubt it will happen. The studio would probably see him as too risky or some other bull, and plus they undoubtedly want Yates to finish out the series.

Avatar Image says:

I wish I could agree about del Toro, but he would not adhere to the books…he made that clear. He would take off on his own, and while it might be interesting, artistically, WB would never stand for it, and JKR would make a fuss too, I’m sure. If HBP is the success that Phoenix was, I suspect they’ll ask Yates to stay on. The kids…Dan especially….seem terribly fond of him, and he does do a good solid job. Phoenix made a ton of money.

Lockhart FTW!

Avatar Image says:

Lol it would be cool to see Kenneth Branagh as Lockhart again! He was really funny. But maybe he wasn’t approached because his ex-girlfriend Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) was on set.. and it would have been akward. Lol it would be very akward to film with your ex… and he probably doesn’t want to direct her either lol.

Avatar Image says:

slytherin360 – also Emma Thomson is his ex-wife. They got divorced b/c he had an affair with HB Carter. So twice as awkward!

Other than that though I think he would have been a wonderful choice for DH. He would have brought a sense of realism and respect to the final battle scene (aka “we band of brothers…” etc.). I was happy with Yates’ job though so if they stick to directors who have already done HP movies then I hope they go with him.

As great as Branaugh was as Lockhart I can’t help thinking Jude Law would have been fantastic too.

Avatar Image says:

I wish he was back for OOTP. It would have been a funny cameo at St. Mungos. Adding the St. Mungo scene would also be heartbreaking if we got to see Neville’s parents as well.

I don’t think it would be a big deal if he only came back as a cameo. It is less likely that he will film scenes with both of his ex’s.

Avatar Image says:

Has anyone here seen Hellboy? That was as close to the source material as I’ve ever seen in film, and with the amazing Pan’s Labyrinth behind him, too, WB would be stupid to deny Del Toro the job. Besides, Cuaron is also a risky filmmaker and his HP film is one of the best.

Avatar Image says:

Ohh Kenneth Branagh. :) My Shakespeare class has been watching his movies when we have extra time. I think I’m getting a little crush on this man! But yes, while he is a good director, it would be awkward between him and the other actors he’s dated- though they are all professional, I don’t know if one can overcome being cheated on. And so long as Del Toro doesn’t make HP exceedingly violent, or exceedingly artistic (like Cuaron), I’d accept him. But I think Yates could do the job well enough. WB would be playing it safe to stay with him for the final one, I think, if HBP is as big of a success.

Avatar Image says:

I think Ken is right, they will go for one of the four who have already directed. The money would be on Yates if he wants to finish it.

Avatar Image says:

Oooh, that is terribly disappointing that they didn’t work in Lockhart. I would have LOVED seeing Branagh back, and knowing how much he would liked to have done it is really frustrating. Oh well, I guess something had to give. With getting a new Tom Riddle, it seems Yates isn’t too keen to have the Chamber of Secrets crowd back, which is unfortunate IMO. I just like continuity and think the movies need some kind of threat tying them together. I think a bunch of different directors has hurt a bit. I should also add I don’t think we have to worry too much about del Toro getting the director’s job. Cuaron is a lot like him, not wanting to be shackled by the book and focusing too much on the pretty pictures and not enough on plot and characterization. So long as HBP is decent, I’m OK with sticking with Yates.

Avatar Image says:

I really missed Lockhart in St. Mungo’s, and had hoped that we would see the scene with Neville’s parents. But they did manage to work around that information by having Arthur return home and Neville talk to Harry, even though Ron and Hermione weren’t in on the conversation. But Gilderoy was such a fun character.

I think he would have been very good for POA, since he had just been working on Chamber and was familiar with the kids and the style and the story.

I’m another one who would like to see Yates continue. I really liked Phoenix and from interviews it sounds like he gets the point of sticking with the book, even though things have to be rearranged or condensed to make it into a movie.

Is he a good director??

Avatar Image says:

I think del Torro would do an “amazing” job of DH after seeing “Pan’s Labrith”, which was such an incredible combination of drama and fantacy. But I’m getting this feeling-eeeeks- it is going to the Cauron who gets the nod.[i do hope not thouh , asd I still think a new fresh director would be better to end the series of films.

I’m glad to read Kenneth Banaugh’s thoughts on the films and to learn he had been consitered at one time.

Branaugh and Thompson are both very professional actors and get along well ,now they are married to others.[Alan Rickman is also a very close friend of Thompson’s] Also HBC is now with Tim Burton ,and all is well.Everyone is far happier.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know if you’ve seen the last movie Del Toro has produced: “El Orfanato” (“The Orphanage”), it’s a Spanish movie, and it’s the best terror movie I’ve ever seen. You have to see it, I bet it’ll be nominated to some Oscars.

I like Kenneth, but he doesn’t look like he wants to direct a HP movie, I think he would like more freedom to direct a film. I would have liked to see him directing Equus, he was the director in the first stages of the process. What it’s clear is he would have liked to be in OotP, it’s a pity they don’t film more scenes to make a extended version like LotR extended versions DVDs…

Avatar Image says:

I hope the producers of the ‘Deathly Hallows’ film get someone really outstanding to direct, because I don’t think any of the films so far have been exceptionally helmed But, to be fair, Branaugh says the material itself limits what a director can do with it, and I think there’s a lot of truth in that. I just hope the last 2 films are excellent. They go together, much like the first two go together and the middle three go together.

Avatar ImagecrazyforSeverus says: Kenneth Branagh was the perfect Lockheart. I'm not sure if I would be a fan of him directing a Harry Potter movie, but I guess we'll never know.

Write a Reply or Comment