Rumor Alert: Halloween and Holiday Plans Afoot for Harry Potter Theme Park?

113

Nov 19, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

As announced earlier this year, there is to be a new Harry Potter attraction as part of the Universal Orlando theme park in Florida. While this park is not set to open until late 2009 or early 2010, there have been many rumors regarding this park for sometime, with another new rumor surfacing today at Jim Hill media. The long time Disney and theme park blogger has some interesting comments about possible Halloween and Holiday events being planned in the future, as well the marketing campaign to promote the Harry Potter name with Universal. Mr. Hill writes that “many of Universal’s TV commercials for 2008 to be peppered with brief clips from “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,” and “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.”

Of greater interest perhaps, are Mr. Hill’s additional reports regarding possible seasonal events in the works for the Harry Potter park. He notes that plans may be afoot to hold “a yearly “Holidays at Hogwarts” type of event at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. With carolers strolling through the streets of Hogsmeade and a traditional English Christmas feast being served nightly in the Great Hall at Hogwarts Castle.”

Mr. Hill also says that Universal is hoping to take on the very popular “Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party” at Disney world. Quotage:

As the story goes, once Phase One of “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” opens in 2009 (FYI: That phase of the project will probably only include Hogwarts Castle and Hogsmeade Village. Phase Two — featuring the Forbidden Forest and that Weasley-family-flying-car attraction — isn’t expected to come on line ’til sometime in early 2010), this new “land” will then allow Universal to offer yet another after-hours seasonal event, ” Halloween at Hogwarts.” So while Mom & Dad are next door at Universal Studios Florida getting the snot scared out of them at Halloween Horror Nights, their youngsters can be trick-or-treating in a deliberately scare-free environment over at IOA.”

As exciting as this all sounds, please keep this in the rumor category until we can obtain official confirmation. If you missed the announcement of this Harry Potter attraction coming to Universal Studios in Orlando, you can see the wonderful concept art here in our galleries, as well as sign up for additional emails from the Universal site promoting Harry Potter, via this link.

19 Responses to Rumor Alert: Halloween and Holiday Plans Afoot for Harry Potter Theme Park?

Avatar Image says:

Cant wait to visit. I’m sure its going to be amazing!

Avatar Image says:

Omg!! I can’t wait to visit it! It’s going to be amazing I mean! Hp’s world! So cool.. I love the idea! Thank you very much UNIVERSAL Studios. I can’t wait to get in the castle, I wanna see Ron! hehehe see you guys!

Avatar Image says:

Well, I can at least confirm that they are going to be adding clips of Harry Potter to their commercials in 2008. I have personally reviewed some of these commercials and got chills knowing that things are progressing towards a 2009/2010 opening.

Avatar Image says:

Why I think this is a rumor is because Halloween Horror Nights go on in both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. I believe they started doing this in both parks a couple of years ago because it is very popular and is very very scary-not for young children at all. I don’t think they will stop it to try to take on Disney who does a kid friendly Halloween party because there scary version is very very successful for Universal.

Avatar Image says:

Whoa. Please let this be true, it’s so exciting!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve been to Halloween Horror Nights, this year in fact, and the only thing going on at IOA was if you spent another $20, you could enter IOA to ride the rides for about 3 hours before going over to the other park for the Halloween event. I don’t believe there was any scarey additions there.

Avatar Image says:

For some reason I thought that a whole theme park would be built with just Potter inspired rides and attractions.Their idea is still cool though,which means I have a little less than two years to save up for a trip to the Usa.

Avatar Image says:

@ Michele: If this is not just a rumor (keeping this in mind, of course) I don’t think they are planning to discontinue ‘Halloween Horror Nights’...I think it will be intended as an additional attraction.(JMHO) I live in South Carolina, so it will be a good “vacation” item, for my family! Too cool.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve never even considered the idea of celebrating Halloween with my future kids, but if there’s trick or treating going on at the theme park then we may well have to fly over to the US for a “Boring Harry Potter Holiday With Mum” ;)

Avatar Image says:

Hopefully the RESTAURANTS will be in the big Great Hall, and the food will just appear from under the table.

Avatar Image says:

YESS!!!! I’ve been waiting for more theme park news!! PLEASE, Universal and WB, please release more news on ANYTHING regarding the much anticipated park!!

Avatar Image says:

heyyyy why can’t it be in the Uk? Hp is British after all. NOT FAIR!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! I can’t wait for 09!!! I’m so there!! Eeekkk!! So exciting!!!!! What a great idea!! Thank you universal!!! ^^

Avatar Image says:

hey have you guys seen this website?? its not the same as the one universal gave us, is it just me who’s discovered this or does anyone else know about it?

Avatar Image says:

I could see a Christmas thing…except maybe the feast part. The Halloween not so much. I’m too tired to give it proper thought though, so I can’t articulate myself too well right now.

Avatar Image says:

This is entirely possible and very nifty sounding. However, take it with a grain of salt. Jim Hill has not proven himself a very reputable source in the past. /animation buff nerd hat.

Avatar Image says:

Christmas… oh, what I wouldn’t give to spend Christmas at Hogwarts! I wonder… do you think they’ll have all the dormitories?

And, Halloween is my favorite holiday. I think Halloween would be scarier at the IOA, especially with the Harry Potter World! It’d be fantastic if they could pull off some really cool things from the books and movies!

Avatar Image says:

sounds great and all, but in the HP books it is usually reffered to as “Christmas” at Hogwarts, not “Holiday at Hogwarts”. I cannot wait to see the park but it sounds as though it is “selling out” to corporate america with this whole “Happy Holiday’s ” thing. It is merry CHRISTMAS!

Avatar Image says:

Ew Dan you’re right. If it was “holiday” in the series that would be fine, but it’s not! MERRY CHRISTMAS, PEOPLE!

Write a Reply or Comment