Dan, Rupert, and Emma Talk “Half-Blood Prince” and Beyond in New Interviews

115

Nov 25, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Canada’s Edmonton Sun Newspaper has two new interviews online where they sit down with Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley), along with “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” director David Yates and its producer David Heyman, to discuss many different topics related to the sixth film. These interviews focus on the casts’ thoughts and experiences on the sixth Harry Potter film, which is currently in production, and their expectations of the seventh film, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” set for release in 2010. Having grown up in these roles, Dan, Rupert, and Emma speak on this in the first of the interviews, which go into detail about acting, their passion for it, and their future prospects. Director David Yates begins this article simply by saying the casting of the young trio is “a remarkable thing.”

Harry Potter film producer David Heyman gives much of the credit to Chris Columbus, who chose and directed the young actors in the first two films “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” and “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.” He says:

“Chris Columbus deserves huge credit in casting who he cast… They were obviously not the only choices he had. These were the choices he made and I am forever grateful to him for that.”

Speaking to the subject of making the “Harry Potter” films with a sense of professionalism and dedication, even at a young age, Dan Radcliffe is quoted as saying:

“I don’t think the franchise, in a way, needs any justification because it is such a leviathan of a thing anyway. Things don’t get that big without merit.

“But, I suppose, it (extra work on the DVDs) is almost to prove to people that we are, in fact, taking this very seriously. More seriously than people would probably assume. I took it very seriously when I was 11 and (growing up in the Harry Potter role) I’ve taken it more and more seriously.

“So, to me, it’s just about letting people know that I’m incredibly serious and passionate about this – this series of films – and how much they mean to me. If you’ve been involved in something for more than seven years now, you want to be able to talk about it articulately and explain why you love it, explain why you loved being involved in it so much.”

The Harry Potter films are not the only things on the young actor’s minds, as Emma Watson also relates in this article, working on future projects will determine whether this is the true career path for her. She says of this decision:

“I did a film for the BBC, called Ballet Shoes, in the summer. Having an experience outside of Harry Potter really helped me. I think it convinced me that this is where I am meant to be and this is what I’m meant to be doing: That I do want to be an actress.

“But I think I needed to have an experience outside of Harry Potter because, in a way, I was really plucked out of obscurity and given this role. I mean, I really wanted it but it never felt like a decision that I made. It just happened to me. I felt that I won the lottery. So I’ve always kind of slightly questioned it.”

Dan, Rupert, and Emma also spend more time talking of the “Half-Blood Prince” film in the second interview, where Dan comments on the ‘tonal shift from the brooding atmosphere of The Order of the Phoenix’ by noting his his personal preference for the “morbid” undertones verses the lighter aspects of the story. He explains this by saying:

“I think the script’s great and I think it’s going to be a really great film. But I’m just one of those people that, in what I’m doing, I always lean toward the dark side and I really enjoy doing the dark stuff.

“I know Emma and Rupert really, really like the lighter stories and all that. And Rupert particularly is really going to have a field day on this, because he’s got fantastic comic timing and he’ll be able to use all of that to great effect on this film with his relationship with Lavender Brown.

“(But) I’m actually going to miss doing all the morbid stuff, I think.”

Dan describes his eagerness for the seventh film by calling it “the one last hurrah, that film. That’s going to be great. I really am very, very excited about the whole thing. It’s going to be epic, I hope.” While Rupert Grint speaks to the new production by noting, like each of the films, its “own sort of atmosphere,” and goes on to say:

“It’s got sort of a dark undertone to it because Voldemort is back and that is quite a scary time for them. But there are some really cool bits in it. Ron gets a girlfriend in it, so that’s going to be quite cool.”

Continuing on this subject of romance in the film, producer David Heyman is also quoted as saying of the balancing of these emotions:

“It’s much more comedy and the awkwardness of romance. And the romance goes beyond Harry into Hermione and Ron and other characters. I also think it’s about characters growing apart as well as realizing the importance of one another.”

The article concludes to describe a certain ‘awkward reference’ to the wand of Albus Dumbledore in an original draft of the “Half-Blood Prince” script, which had to be revised in light of the publication of author J. K. Rowling’s seventh novel “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” this past July. Heyman says of this revision: “For obvious reasons (if you’ve read the seventh book) it had to be changed.”

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” will be released in theaters November 2008.

Many thanks to redcakesfan and all who mailed!

128 Responses to Dan, Rupert, and Emma Talk “Half-Blood Prince” and Beyond in New Interviews

Avatar Image says:

aw.. another interview with these trio. I love them much!

Sounds fab!!

Avatar Image says:

I have thought the filmmakers ignored -too much- the great humor Jo puts in her books but she levels it so well with tragedy and darkness it should also be balanced in the films as well. Hopefully this film will not turn into a teenage romantic comedy.:( I am looking forward to it very much but I hope the seriousness that is also in the book is also there.

Anytime I can read an interview fron Daniel Radcliffe I’m having a great day.This one didn’t disappointment and as usual let me know his mind setand his vocabulary so amazes me. Loved Yates ,David Heyman’s and Elmelda Strauton’s comments about the trio. I’m hoping also that Yates can buy Columbus that pint [or two].

Avatar Image says:

Heh. No light stuff in the near future for Mister Radcliffe (I can hear a collective awww from the danlovahs…mwahaha)

Avatar Image says:

Sounds cool! I am dying to see the movie and my computer wont even let me watch the interview sniff sniff but o well like i said i can not wait for HBP and DH

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

I really don’t like that they’re calling this film a light romantic comedy. No, I don’t like that at all. The humour and the romance is fun, yeah, but it’s hardly the most important thing in the book… :S

Avatar Image says:

GREAT ARTICLE!!! Loved the links!!!! The trio has matured and I miss the little munchkins.

Maturing child stars everywhere, take note, you don’t have to go crazy and make fools of yourselves when coming of age!!!!.

As for the HBP being a little lighter . . . quiet before the storm.

Avatar Image says:

i agree Amy S.i dont like to all.i want half blood prince not comedy.this is not children movie now plaese dont do this.i dont care hermione&ron relantionship.

Avatar Image says:

I bet Dan is bored, after doing Equus, everything else must seem pretty tame.

Avatar Image says:

Once Dan is done with HP, and all that phase is left behind him, I truly doubt we’ll see him again in kid roles.

He leans to the dark stuff, he worships Oldman, he’s made some heavy connections and I wouldn’t be surprised if he just acted in whatever quirky, odd or out of the ordinary role he could get his hands on. He’s got enough money NOT to do it for the cash so he might not be interested in formulaic FX blockbusters for the near future. Which is good. If he manages to shed the HP image succesfully I’m sure he’ll have a bright acting career ahead of him.

Avatar Image says:

I love it when interviewers get Emma to talk about the books. Her answers are always so thoughtful. I’d love to hear more from her about them. Come on media, it’s way past time to move on from the usual boring questions…this girl’s got Hermione-like BRAINS!

And Dan…well he’s grown up so beautifully and I ADORE him!

Avatar Image says:

After reading this, it’s clear to me the only one who put attention while reading the books is Radcliffe. What on earth is what Emma Watson is talking about? Hermione is not the center of the world! she is not the one who made Harry realize that, it was Dumbledore who told him that he needs his friends. I’m a little tired of Emma stealing things from Dumbledore, it seems Kloves is not the only one who likes to do that. And although I agree with some of you that humor is one of the great things of these books, there is a lot of dark stuff in the last 2 books. It’s stupid, in my opinion, they have forgotten about Jo’s fantastic sense of humor in the previous 5 movies and now they want to put all of it in just one?? I hope I’m wrong but I have the impression the filmakers (producers, director, scriptwriter…) are giving too much importance to things that are secondary in the book, and they are forgetting the important plots. The only romantic relationship really important in HBP book is Harry and Ginny, I wouldn’t even call Ron-Laverder a relationship. And things like quidditch are not important either, it’s just a way Jo uses to show other things. But it seems they are forgetting about Harry learning about Voldermot’s past, the horcruxes, Harry learning more about Snape too, Dumbledore and Harry spending more time together, even things like Lupin and Tonks are much more important than quiditch and stupid WonWon and his Lav Lav and Emma’s wish to make Hermione the center of the world.

Avatar Image says:

Good interview: I wouldn’t worry too much about the “romantic comedy” thing, I take that more as an acknowledgment that HBP is tonally somewhat lighter than the brooding OotP.

In all honesty, now that I come to think about it, the regression towards frothier adolescent school hijinks that characterises much of the first two-thirds of Half-Blood Prince has always been one of my central problems with it; tonally, it seems like a weird backwards step in a series that otherwise gets gradually and logically darker as it progresses. I mean, on the one side of Book Six you’ve got Harry’s isolation, the death of Sirius and the tyranny of Umbridge, and on the other side you’ve got Dumbledore’s murder and the dark duty of the Horcrux search; in this context, all the lightweight dalliances with Romilda Vane, McLaggen, Lav-Lav and the Slug Club just seemed oddly trivial and tonally out of kilter to me, a weird throwback to the more carefree days of Books Two and Three, but one that seemed out of place in the darker post-GoF climate. I guess all of the books featured a balance of humour and drama to some extent, but HBP’s tonal problems were compounded by the fact that its main narratives were the weakest of the series, in my view: the “what’s Malfoy up to” plotline felt like a diluted retread of CoS’s whodunnit structure, whilst the actual Half-Blood Prince/mysterious textbook strand promised a lot, but didn’t really go anywhere in the end. As such, they just ended up getting swamped by the “light relief” elements of the story…thank goodness, then, for the intriguing Pensieve plotline, which picked up the slack of the other storylines and kept the momentum going long enough to ease the book into its fantastically dramatic ending, one of the best 100 pages in the whole series. For me, that’s what really rescued HBP, and it’ll be what I’m lloking forward to seeing come November 2008. In that respect, seems like I’m with Mr. Radcliffe… :)

Avatar Image says:

I have to say, a good portion of this book is quite romantic-comedy-like (no no, not all of it). The interview said something like ‘While Half-Blood Prince does have dark passages it will emphasize the romantic entanglements,’ which I think sounds quite nice. I’ll enjoy the last big hurrah of romance and comedy while I can, as DH will certainly be almost all dark.

Avatar Image says:

I’m with Dan all the way! the OOTP movie was fantastic because it was dark, deep and emotional, I hope they’re not turning HBP in a romantic comedy. Dan is great in angsty scenes (like sirius’death) so I hope they’re going to give him the chance to show his acting skills again. After all dumbledore dies in this one, so it’s definetely not so “light”

Avatar Image says:

Ugh, I wish they’d stop talking up HBP as this light-hearted comedy. I know there’s very little plot for the Gryffindors in this one apart from the godawful OBHWF stuff but this story has Riddle’s past, Dumbledore dying, Snape killing him, Draco being assigned a mission by Voldemort, Harry nearly killing him; it’s not exactly sunshine and lollipops. I’d rather the attention was focused on more neglected members of the cast rather than ignoring all the interesting drama for unimportant stuff like shipping.

Avatar Image says:

What Jane said. Another vote for actually putting some plot into this one!

Avatar Image says:

I think it’s going to be allright. They are talking about the romantic-comedy-thing a lot to show it’s going to be more light-harted than OOTP. It doesn’t mean they are going to ignore the dark stuff. They won’t forget the plot. With OOTP everyone was complaining that there was no quidditch and not enough ron and hermione. THEY ARE GIVING YOU WHAT YOU ASKED FOR PEOPLE, a lot of ron/hermione, harry/ginny, quidditch and as we saw in the preview, a lot of dumbledore. I would actually like to take my hogwarts-mates and smell the flowers for one more time, before the serious action starts in Deathly hallows.

Avatar Image says:

it sounds like they got the book perfect. Book 6 wasn’t as dark as the rest of the other books. The only truly dark moment was the last few chapters of the book. I think david yates would build it up to that suspenseful ending. Or build the scenes as if hogwarts wasn’t in too much danger till the deatheaters attacks. I think this movie would be perfect for those who haven’t read the book because they would be shock to see hogwart, harry’s true home, being attack by death eaters.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! Can’t wait for the movie! Would be cool, would be like a “romantic comedy” hehehehe. Love you Rupert!

Avatar Image says:

I do well agree with ‘Sunshine Daisy’: “Quiet, before the storm”! I thought that the interviews were great, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for HBP and DH! It will, most certainly, be a wild ride…..

Avatar Image says:

I don’t really know how I feel about all this talk about HBP as a “love comedy”. For me HBP is quite a dark book and not at all a comedy!

Avatar Image says:

it isn’t nearly as dark as OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

Well said, redbeard. I agree with you completely. People are too quick to get upset, I think. I’m really excited for HBP. It has a simply fantastic, heart-stopping climax. The cave scene with the inferi and Dumbledore drinking that wretched potion was extremely chilling and things only gathered momentum from there. Won’t it be something to watch Harry and Dumbledore return to see the dark mark hovering over Hogwarts? Those scenes were thrilling! I enjoyed the lighter aspects too – like quidditch, Harry/Ginny, etc. Harry needs to have those sweet memories to tide him over through the chaos that is DH. HBP wasn’t bogged down by any one tone. It was the combination of light-hearted and dark moments that made it great. If the movie can capture that we shouldn’t have a problem.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t want to hear about all that romantic comedy stuff again. Can’t they talk about any other stuff in the interviews: like Quidditch I wouldn’t mind if they talked a bit about that or anything ELSE: Slughorn, Dumbledore, important things!

And Dan said the script is not as dark as he prefers. :( It’s not all fluffy i hope <3

Avatar Image says:

Have they cast who would play Vol.’s mother and grandfather and uncle yet? even Vol.’s father?

Avatar Image says:

why is everyone so upset about some of the lighter aspects of hbp? jo herself is responsible for all the lavender-hermoine moments, is she not? i think in an interview a few years ago she mentioned that she couldn’t wait for rupert’s reaction to the lavender episode. so it seems she was anticipating that it would be included. this is a very diversified book, there are more elements to hbp than only death and destruction. of course the saddest part of this story is the death of dumbledore, a lighter moment or two is not going to take anything away from this. it makes one wonder if some people are fearful that they might not appear to be “cool” if the movie is not “dark enough”. they so want to distance themselves from a child’s book. the general consensus is that hp has not been a child’s book since poa. lighten up a little.

Avatar Image says:

i agree with bogus. Its not like yates and heyman just read the books and said okay lets make this a light romantic comedy! Noo they sat down with Jo herself and disscussed it. Shes the one who wrote the books not you guys. This is how she wants the films and you know what if you guys are already having doubts dont watch and quit talking negativly about a film you have yet to see.

Emma isnt exactly saying Hermione is the centre of the world its just how Hermione feels and how most teenage girls feel. I remember back when i was 16-17 i felt like i owned everyone and i solved everyones problems when i really i didnt. Anyways sounds like this will be a great film and they could really use the humor and acwardess.
Avatar Image says:

Not at all worried about the HBP film. Like the other HP books, HBP is about Harry’s journey toward his ultimate confrontation with Voldemort. The Ron-Hermione-Lavender thing is just a subplot. It has its funny moments, but it is still a subplot. HBP is NOT a romantic comedy and I don’t see Yates making it into one.

I also like hearing what Emma Watson has to say about the books. She seems to love them and her comments are often insightful. Not putting down Dan or Rupert, but Emma sounds truly excited when she talks about the books.

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear. No Coulson as Tom Riddle, Madonna’s daughter playing Fenrir Greyback and now…>sob< a light-hearted HBP? I loved the dark tone of the last film. I’m glad to see more Ron (or “Won Won”), but I just hope they get the important scenes (the cave/inferi, the pensieve memories, death of Dumbledore) right…

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I think HBP will be sort of wicked, yeah and I think Ron will really be in his element which is sort of cool :) Seriously though, why do I get the feeling that Chris Columbus chose 3 actors who are nearly exactly the same as the characters they play? eg Emma has Hermione’s brain, Radcliffe has Harry’s sincerity, and Grint, well, has the same lack of passion for school/education as Ron but has a heart of gold.

wonderful

Avatar Image says:

I third redbeard’s comments; I just finished re-reading the whole series, very slowly, and what I realized is that there are many elements to HBP that I didn’t see before. Sure the romance and comedy are on the surface, but the darker issues are brewing, if you will. I think they will make it the dramatic lead up to DH that it is intended to be. I couldn’t have said it better than redbeard: “I would actually like to take my hogwarts-mates and smell the flowers for one more time, before the serious action starts in Deathly hallows.” Well said! The interviews with Dan, Emma and Rupert were great, especially Dan hehe :)

Avatar Image says:

Some HP fans may not like HP to be a romantic/comedy but a lot more people who are not HP fas will certainly love it.

The movie Tittanic was not a big hit only because of the tragedy storyline but moreso the “unreal” love story that was squeezed in there that only made the tragedy more human and easily relatable. The regedy was still the focus but the tragic love story twist is a proven formula that always worked.

And people may be complaining too early because in the end, editing will take over and then you find that its the subplot that gets heavily cut, and the darker tones end up being 90% of the film.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope their exagerating about all the light heartedness. If not, I sense another Goblet of Fire coming on (although probably it won’t be as rushed, which is good). I want Micheal Goldenburg back!

Avatar Image says:

@Madeleine: What are you talking about? Coulson was born in 1978. He’s just about 30 years old, um… him playing a teenager really wouldn’t work out to well. We already know there is going to be the cave scene and talks about the “army of the dead” most likely referring to the inferi. Stop moaning about not being able to comprehend what’s being announced. The book was not just about the death of Dumbledore. It’s a good thing you have no say in the making of the film, as your idea of what made the sixth book so great is so far off what it should be.

Avatar Image says:

Emma, you are delusioned. Hermione doesn’t let Harry realize he needs his friends, it’s Dumbledore, Ginny, Neville, and Luna that does this. So stop trying to make Hermione the kind of person you want to be.

I like Dan’s point of view. And poor Rupert… he needs better charisma, or he’s going to be shunted to the side.

I can’t even dignify the comment about “romantic comedy”. This is going to be another Mean Girls with a few magic wands, isn’t it?

Avatar Image says:

The comment at the end about Dumbledore and his wand were interesting – did anyone else interpret that in the original draft of the screenplay Kloves had DD’s wand break?

And I wouldn’t worry too much about the light-hearted parts of the HBP movie. We know that they are taking into account a lot of detail while filming the orphanage scene, there’s another Voldemort scene with Tom Riddle between orphanage age and Finnes age, Dumbledore is still going to die, and they’re going to do the cave scene. But I agree with other who said that HBP is lighter than the 5th and 7th books – there’s a lot of romantic teen angst and school drama.

Avatar Image says:

I’m looking forward to a more “romantic comedy” feel in HBP. I loved how they did that with GoF, and it would be great pacing to do it again. Deathly Hallows is plenty dark for the whole series; triumphant and exciting, yes, but also dark. It’ll be nice to have more light-hearted moments before the end.

I think you have some good points, Bogus. There’s always been a real push for Potter fans to make others take us seriously. “These are most certainly not children’s books!” we scream. “Look! They’re so DARK! And…so DARK! And in fact, they’re also very very DARK!” It’s become a litany, a mantra. Really folks, it’s okay for a story to be funny and warm and romantic. :)

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm, I don’t like the tone of this interview, as pleased as I am to read it. I think they’re probably filming all the light stuff now, and possibly that’s why the people are so agitated- though it looks like they’ve started filming “the cave” scenes if you pause in that sneak peek video at a certain point with DD.

I do have a feeling with Kloves back the Ron/Lavendar/Hermione triangle will take a big leap forward in front of Harry/Ginny, which I think is a bit silly. Though there are rumors that Harry and Ginny might work together to solve the whole Snape/Draco thing and that might balance off with the lighter business.

HBP is the lightest of Books 4 through 7. If you think about it, it’s the only book where Harry seems quite infinitely happy for long periods of time (because he’s in love and because he is a little naive). When I was reading it, it felt like it had been written really differently. It is a bit more teenage-inclined I think. BECAUSE as JKR has said, Book Six is like a part one and Book Seven is like a part two of a very long story! Thinking of it that way, it all fits. The happiness takes a decline to the end of the book and leads into Book 7. I have a feeling that Movie 7 will have to be a seriously compressed version of the book.

My brother pointed out that much of HBP has to do with purely Harry’s thoughts. There’s practically no action until “Sectumsempra” and BOOM the book is just one thing after another. So, I’m not taking their comments on it being a romantic comedy too seriously until I see the commercials. I think they’ll do well with it. Yates and the main actors have read all of the books.

Avatar Image says:

i wasn’t able to read Leaky news for more than a week so i’m just happy to read about the trio again. =)

Avatar Image says:

Rupert Grint doesnt interview well. To much use of ‘sort of’, ‘cool’, ‘wicked’ and giving non answers. Tends to annoy the hell out of interviewers. I wonder what the ‘real’ person that JKR based Ron on is like? Would he be daft in interviews as well or more cutting and biting in his remarks. I do like RG by the way – I’ve just noticed all interviewers tend to hate interviewing him.

Avatar Image says:

Interviewers who dont like to be challenged tend to not like interviewing Rupert. But I think he said enough in one sentence. When you look at all that Dan and Emma had to say, you can actually compress everything to a short sentence because its a bit redundant and basically means just one thing.

Avatar Image says:

I think the most EXCRUCIATING thing of all is to have to wait until November of NEXT YEAR to see the movie!!!

Avatar Image says:

Me likey Emma’s sexy brain.

It’s hilarious that a small number of people indirectly suggest that Hermione plays no role in letting Harry learn the importance of friends/loved ones. XD

Avatar Image says:

To much use of ‘sort of’, ‘cool’, ‘wicked’ and giving non answers is not enough in interviews, Rupert doesn’t really have the education to have a more elaborated answer, it is ok when you’re with your teen friends to talk to them that way, but when you’re talking to adults and in showbiz at least try to comunicate a bit better, by the way Rupert is not a teen anymore, he’s going to be 20 next year which makes him a man not a teen and as an adult he should “at least” try to be more open, I know the way he is now it’s OK to his die hard fans, but for the regular interviewers he can really make the media walk away from him if he doesn’t do something drastic about his lack of vocabulary.

Avatar Image says:

After OotP, I have faith in Heyman as a director (tho not in Klove’s screenwriting abilities – it was such a delight to have a break from him).

I’m not worried about HBP being lighter, it always seemed to me that HBP was the first half of the last book. I think Jo herself said something about the story skidding off the end of six and into the beginning of seven. I just wish we could watch the movies that way – imagine, starting out with fun, laughter, romance; moving into darker action, the death of DD, Snape’s identity and apparenty perfidy revealed; (insert quick interval here) and Boom! into Snape arriving at the Malfoy Mansion with the suspended (upended?) Muggle studies teacher; crazy action; (insert brief breath-catcher here, while trio wander about assorted uk’r forests); wild action, death, dismay; crazy finale!!! Zowie! Would’ve been WICKED!

Avatar Image says:

Sorry sorry sorry!! I meant David Yates has my confidence as a director. (insert caffeine here) :)

Avatar Image says:

To those here saying that Emma Watson is trying to steal the ‘show’ for Hermione by suggesting that Hermione helps Harry realise the importance of friendship – GO BACK AND READ THE BOOKS AGAIN. Hermione DOES do this, along with other characters including Dumbledore, Ron, Neville and Luna. Emma talks about Hermione more because that is the character the interviewers ask her about.

As for Rupert, he is a man of few words and we should be used to it by now, but there’s no need for people to talk him down just becuase he isn’t as loquacious as Dan and Emma. With Rupert, you get what he thinks in a nutshell. I love him for it!

Avatar Image says:

Ron wears his heart on his sleeves. Rupert on the other hand is a master at keeping his emotions neatly sealed. I think its ironic that on screen he is a master at facial expressions but in real life you wont even be able to tell just by looking at his face if he is excited or shocked or even sad or whatever. He seems very secretive and guarded of his thoughts and feelings.

Avatar Image says:

All your comments make me remember the hilarious “Harry Potter and the Chamber Pot of Azerbaïdjan”, with the interveiws of the actors… (with Jeremy Irons). I understand better now the Rupert/Ron thing in that video!

Avatar Image says:

It’s not the first time that Emma talks about Hermione as if she’s the main character and everything revolved around her, so I can understand what people are talking about. I love re-reading the books, to remind myself how our real Hermione really is, ‘cause in the films.. God, it’s such a disappointment. It’s sad that such an amazing character isn’t seen in her true form, with her qualities and flaws, that’s what makes her so amazing and so close to our hearts.

Avatar Image says:

Apologies for this long post:

To be fair, very few of the characters are seen in their true form in the movies because Heyman keeps stressing that the main focus has got to be on Harry. So we get a mostly clownish/wimpish Ron, a Hermione who is either whimpering or being supergirl, and the other characters are mostly one-dimensional because they don’t get enough screen-time.

This is the fault of the screenplay writer(s), the directors, and the producers (and a little bit of JK who approves everything).

It’s not Emma’s fault that she is constantly asked about Hermione, but she hasn’t said anything that isn’t true about Hermione – you can find plenty of references in the books. Of course she is going to talk more about Hermione, in the same way that Dan will talk more about Harry, and Evanna Lynch talks mostly about Luna. It’s path of the course when answering the mundane questions of journalists who clearly don’t know the books and don’t do prior research.

But Emma has never once said that Hermione is the centre of the Harry Potter universe, she has just extolled the virtues of her character, which is what she’s supposed to do, especially when constantly asked.

A lot of this stems from people believing that the character of Hermione has been made more important in the movies than Ron. If that is true, it’s still not Emma’s fault. But people use the movie posters as an example. If you look at 4 of the 5 movie posters, Hermione is only more prominent on one of them – the GOF poster. On the rest she’s actually less prominent or equal. In terms of the script – blame Kloves and Heyman. But don’t forget that Ron gets lines that were supposed to be for Neville or other minor characters. It’s all about a Hollywood formula where everything has to fit into neat little boxes of a male lead, a female lead, eye candy, comic relief, a side kick and a wise old codger.

So I guess what I’m saying in my overlong post is that if you want to blame someone for these movies not fitting the books, blame Warner Brothers and their insistence on using a Hollywood…one that has actually worked for them.

Avatar Image says:

After reading HBP again, I really hope they include Hermione trying to get revenge on Ron by going with McClagen (or however its spelled) to the party. I love the icy tone of “I like REALLY GOOD quidditch players” paraphrasing.

Avatar Image says:

If this bloody film’s main theme is gonna be Ron/ Hermione/ Lavender then I’m giving it a miss. I’m with Dan, give me darkness over comedy any time.

Some great comments about Dan too. I agree with El caz, Dan will probably do darker stuff which is why I’m really interested in his post HP career. This film will probably bore him after doing Equus, MBJ etc…

Avatar Image says:

I agree with whoever pointed out that, until the end of the book, HBP was one of the lightest books of the series and the only book since PS/SS really where Harry has actually been happy and care-free. I’m starting to wonder if everyone has read the same book.

The end is terrible, really dark, and heart-breaking ( I cried and cried ). But, the rest? Nope, it’s mostly fun and games with a few dark Riddle moments thrown into the mix. We get love potions, people making out left and right, lucky potions, a lot of Quittich antics, we get teenage hormonal angst and fighting, we get jealous monsters trying to claw their way out of young men’s chests, we get the character of Slughorn who is the definition of a comedic character, and most importantly we get our most whimsical Dumbledore since PS/SS.

They haven’t ignored the dark parts. We’ve heard Dan talk about the tragic side to Slughorn’s character, we’ve heard Yates talk about the relationship between Harry and Dumbledore, his poignant funeral, and the inferi and cave, and Snape’s ambiguity, we’ve seen their designs for the orphanage, and we’ve heard Heyman talk about people breaking apart and learning the importance of their relationship (I think he may be referring to Ron and Hermione’s split here, I can’t think of what else it would be).

They are exploring the deeper parts of the book, and they are exploring the lighter parts of the book. The movie wouldn’t be representative of the book if it didn’t include both the light and the dark. OOTP was a much much darker book, with a depressive aura throughout, and HBP is nothing like OOTP in tone. Even the fighting and death in HBP has a different tone than in OOTP. I certainly wouldn’t expect HBP to be as dark and depressive as OOTP was because the book isn’t. The real person who is responsible for all this romance, comedy, and fun is J.K. Rowling.

I also suspect that each actor and crew member is discussing what is most relevant to their role and what they are most excited about. Dan said Rupert and Emma prefer lighter storylines, so of course that’s what they will talk about, plus it makes up a majority of their roles in this book. Dan has talked about the cave and Slughorn when he was filming those scenes and he prefers dark material. Yates seems to be excited about the romance because it’s a fresh change from all the darkness and angst of OOTP, and people are always excited about what’s new. Plus he may also like the challenge of pushing other actors besides Dan. He said in an interview that it would be much less Dan’s story this time, that Dumbledore, Snape, and Ron and Hermione get more focus in this film than they had in OOTP. He might find that new and challenging. Heyman seems to like the character and relationship development that occurs in the book with ” characters growing apart as well as realizing the importance of one another”; he’s said that a few times. I think the focus on character and relationship development (not the romances necessarily but all the main characters) is a good thing in my book, since I love the series because of the characters and mostly because of the trio relationship, the Dumbledore/Harry relationship, and Snape’s character.

Sorry for the long post.

Sectumsempra please.

Exactly how it was written in the books, and I shall be happy with the entire movie 0.0

Avatar Image says:

I loved those interviews. I was actually laughing during that last bit of the second interview (Dumbledore’s wand). Oh, I’m going to love this movie.

Avatar Image says:

I’m feeling a bit wary about the fluffy adjesctives being used in all the interviews:

“Steve Kloves submitted a fun script” “Ootp was about politics, HBP will be about sexual politics…” “Ron gets a girlfriend in this one. hehehehehehe”

These interviews all say the same thing over and over. mostly pandering to the non HP readers… ugh

new content is very very minimal. So I’m beginning to question the point of reading them at all…

Fantastic post, T_D_O.

The split you refer to I think is that of Harry and Ginny at the end. Ron and Hermione can’t split because they haven’t actually got together yet. But I agree with you that up until the last few chapters, the books IS much less darker than the previous two books. There IS comedy there – just look at Slughorn’s party, and the antics of Ron and Hermione, and even Harry’s fumbling attempts to understand his feelings for Ginny. I’m looking forward to getting different angles on the HBP film adaptation, especially if there is more of Dumbledore in it (I think we have to understand the people around Harry in order to understand Harry).

Avatar Image says:

When all the parts are put together with the lighter side and the drama I’m sure the film will be very good[maybe great].I think Dan is just referring to the fact that HE [himself ] prefers playing the darker side of the books to the humor ,not that the film is all lightness and will STILL be a GREAT film. I think Yates staying is a big plus for this film’s script.

There is so much pressure put on all of the trio by all to media about the films and to answer mundane questions over and over and over[because the darn interviewers forget these are now young adults and not children and usually haven’t bothered read the books] that they do very well with dealing with the media. Dan ,Emma and Rupert have their own way of dealing with it all [in the ways they answer the questions put to them]and I so agree with Heyman,Yates and Strautan ,they do it very well. And in each their own way.

Avatar Image says:

I can see that the movie is talked as being a light-hearted one by the cast and its makers but then it’s just a part of the story. Harry explores Voldemort’s past in this one(HBP) which would take him ahead into the darker side(DH). Romance is just a flavour added in this one which has made it enjoyable to read. And talking of romance I’m not saying that earlier HP was devoid of romance(GoF and OotP) but this time JKR has gone a bit further in extending romance beyond Harry to Ron-Lavender-Hermione. Though we agree that the movie is going to be less darker it can still be really entertaining provided it captivates the all the elements of the book.

Avatar Image says:

I love watching Rupert on screen, particularly in Sorcerer’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets. But his interviewing skills just don’t exist. I’m sure he’s heard all the criticism, but we’re six years into this and he’s not improved.

But hey, I still love ya Rupe!

Avatar Image says:

Reading and listening to Rupert’s interviews makes me embarassed for him. Surely the producers and/or WB publicity could have seen how he struggles by now and offered him PR lessons or something? He’s practically an adult. There’s no excuse for him to still be like this. I don’t want him to be like Dan and emma, who are way too earnest for my taste, but Rupert really should be more articulate by now.

Avatar Image says:

Rupert is the way he is, there are plenty of celebs who find interviews difficult to cope with. He can’t help it and shouldn’t have to force himself to be different, all that will do is make him feel more uncomfortable. Some people are just not very articulate, or are quite reticent and prefer to say as little as they can get away with saying. That’s our Rupert.

Dan’s parents are in the entertainment industry so it comes more naturally to him, and Emma is very studious so maybe she finds it a bit easier too. But they are all different and I appreciate them the way they are as individuals.

Minisha,

I hope they have the Sectumsepra scene, too. I wonder if they’ll bring Myrtle back?

I heard that Guillermo Del Toro may direct DH…Not sure if there is any truth to this rumor, but that would be amazing.

Avatar Image says:

I happen to look forward to Harry and Ginny, this is when they get together. Not the only thing but I do look forward to that. :-)

Avatar Image says:

As far as Rupert’s interviewing skills, there are a number of actors and actresses who are much more comfortable in front of a camera as a character than they are as themselves (especially when they’ve been asked the same questions over and over and over ad nauseum). Ever hear an interview with Johnny Depp or Dustin Hoffman? Yeah, they answer questions much like Rupert does – and it doesn’t seem to have hurt their careers much.

Avatar Image says:

Back to the Emma bashing again. HP fans are really immature. I’m beginning to wonder if people did read DH or skim through it. Hermione’s importance in helping Harry through their close relationship couldn’t have been more obvious. In DH, and the end of HBP, Jo took the story back to it’s three core characters, everybody else faded into the back ground. The trio’s relationship is the main focus of the book. To say that Luna, Ginny or even Neville was more importantto Harry than Ron or Hermione is a joke and and insult to the lovely characters that Jo wrote. Even ginny was virtually non existant in book 7. I think what is upsetting some people is Dan’s obvious distain for the romantic hookups in this movie. That’s his choice, he’s not saying he won’t do them but it’s not what he’s looking foreward to. As for HBP being lighter, when I read the book I thought the Ron/Hermione/Lavendar scenes were very humorous. For many, the Ron and Hermione relationship is very important. It takes 7 books till we get a kiss. And Jo saved the best kiss for last, IMO. She saved the Hr/R kiss till the end of the book, that shows how important it is. Personally, I felt the Ginny and Harry romance was forced and fake. I never understood why harry loved Ginny since she really never came off as really likable to me. Anyways, don’t assume that everybody dislikes Hr/R and has no interest in seeing their romance through its highs and lows. I could care less about Ginny and Harry. Luna was more likable and like Dan, I would liked to have seen Harry and Luna get together. Perhaps this another reason he is uninterested in any romance with Ginny. Can’t blame him, he’s a smart boy.

Avatar Image says:

Marci I wasn’t trying to bash emma watson as this is leaky and I know its not very nice to bash an actress who’s fans regularly come to this site. That’s why my post was umm..brief. Sorry if i hurt your feelings but i particularly didn’t go into detail in order to not bash her on a fansite.

Thanks

Avatar Image says:

Marci, your Harry/Ginny bashing is SO immature.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t think Marci was bashing Harry/Ginny at all. She just thought their relationship seemed a bit fake – that’s not bashing, it’s an opinion, and one that lots of other HP fans share.

Personally I like their relationship but it WAS kind of sprung on us from Harry’s pov because he never showed any interest in Ginny until part-way through HBP. Then were meant to be taken in by it. I was always more interested in R/Hr or even who Neville and Luna would eventually hook up with. But I agree that the Emma bashing gets a bit old, especially because people are finding hollow excuses to do it and it just isn’t necessary.

Avatar Image says:

I’m not bashing Harry and Ginny. I just think it was poorly written. And I’m not the only one. But I don’t think it’s right to trivialize the importance of Ron and Hermione in order to build up secondary characters. The Hr/R relationship is important, plus theose two characters are incredibly important to Harry. It shouldn’t be written off.

Avatar Image says:

I dont personally think that this “article” exactly is telling the truth…personally..I sounds like they took what was somewhat said and made it sound like Dan first of all is against this movie, which I highly doubt Dan would ever make it sound like that…..this is his bread and butter… I love that they are finally finally getting the humor of HP into a movie…but heres my problem, their hasnt been any so now its going to look out of place..ya know…geez! they have really screwed with this series…I wish we could go back and start over sometimes…too too much has been left out over the years…its a damn shame…

Avatar Image says:

Well, I didn’t take it as Dan was totally against the movie. It seems he’s just wanting scenes to dig his acting teeth into. I got the opinion that the romance stuff was for him was a hinderance to that. He’s older now, not a giggly teenager. He’ll do the romantic stuff because he has to, just his heart isn’t in it. Like I said he always claimed to be a Luna/Harry shipper and that didn’t happen. It’s got to be a downer to him in a way. Definitley takes the thrill out of it.

Avatar Image says:

Marci, People aren’t bashing Emma. They are stating their opinion that she isn’t a good actress and her interpretation of Hermione’s role in the books is WAY off base.

You have the right to express your opinion of Harry/Ginny, we have the right to express our opinion of Emma Watson.

Avatar Image says:

Marcia, Dan has stated more than once in the past that he IS looking forward to filming the Harry/Ginny stuff. Are you trying to say he was lying about that? lol All he really said in this interview is that he prefers the darker, brooding scenes. When Melissa asked him what his favorite parts of book six was at the GoF premiere in NY he said the cave stuff with Dumbledore and all the stuff with Ginny he would look forward to. He repeated this answer in his interview with Aint It Cool News. Here are some links:

Avatar Image says:

Muddtallica – I completely agree with you about HBP. I had problems with this book for the first 2/3rds until the cave scene, although I did like the Riddle memory scenes. I’m not a great one for the romance but it definitely is a romantic comedy for the first half at least. At least there’s the Riddle memory scenes to add some beef.

I think that HBP film will have a good balance in the first half between the Riddle memory and Ron/Lav-Lav and they’ve presumably got to get the Prince’s book in as well (although it seems a bit irrelevant now). I’m hoping for the sectumsempra moment to be kept in. I think that’s quite important for showing the gradual change in Harry’s attitude towards Draco’s situation.

I also think that Emma is right in what she says about Hermione being central. I think when it gets to DH she (not Ron) is Harry’s major support and the brains. I fell in love with her as a character in DH; I thought she came into her own and showed her softer side. I was never been struck on her before because she was just WAY too clever and irritating; I always thought it odd that NOT ONE of her classmates could match her in any subject, in contrast to the Superclever year that had James, Sirius, Lily AND Snape all vying for Genius of the Year.

Avatar Image says:

“lol Trust me Emma is nothing like Hermione in reality apart from her brainyness.”

Like others, I get tired of the sneering personal comments about Dan, Rupert, & Emma from people who have likely never been within 100 miles of any HP film star. Even if you do know Emma Watson personally, the only reason for that kind of comment is to take a swipe at her as a person. I think comments like that have no place on Leaky.

Avatar Image says:

Well I thought all three interviews were nice and can’t see why there’d be any bashing at all. I thought it very generous what Dan said about Rupert’s comic timing and I completely understand his desire to do the darker stuff and excitement about the 7th, and Emma came across as very intelligent. Rupert was sort of Rupert, which is cool.

Avatar Image says:

There’s always bashing of the actors when any type of news emerges about any one of them.

I think Emma discussed Hermione, because she plays Hermione, and nothing she said was false. I don’t remember Dan ever discussing any other characterization but Harry’s. So, why can’t Emma discuss Hermione? We don’t even know the questions that the interviewer asked her. He could have said, how do you like the way Hermione has developed over the series, or what is Hermione’s role in Harry’s life. I also liked what she said about the books not only being for kids, and the different themes and details Jo wove into the stories. It was nice to hear one of the actors discuss the books. Dan has also discussed the books before. I like hearing how the actors interpret the books, and their characters.

Leave Rupert alone. Some people are shy, and that’s not going to go away completely. Shy, introverted people will always be like that to some extent. They can get used to certain situations and become much more comfortable with themselves, but they’re not going to suddenly be giving away personal details or speaking for long periods of time. Dan, Rupert, and Emma are all different personalities and you can’t compare them; Rupert is never going to be like Dan and Emma in interviews because he’s much more introverted than they are, so stop bashing him for it. It’s been six years and he’s an adult now, so we know that it’s not just a phase, but the type of person he is, so we should get used to it, because people can’t change who they are.

And Dan was just stating the type of scenes he prefers to shoot; it doesn’t mean that he’s implying that he doesn’t like filming HBP.

I hate when people bash the young actors. Why don’t you try thinking about things from their point of view before you throw insults at them. None of the trio satisfies me with their performances, and I think they all need a lot of work, but there’s a difference between critiquing their acting and bashing their personalities and insulting them. It sort of amazes me what people find to complain about in such small articles.

Avatar Image says:

@ T_D_O, I agree with you completely. VERY WELL SAID!!!

Avatar Image says:

Well of coarse when Dan is asked if he’s looking foreward to the Ginny scenes he will say he is. LOL! What’s he going to say when directly asked the question: “I’d rather kiss a fish.” LOL. Please, he’s a professional. He has to sell it even if he’s not interested in it. When asked what scenes he is looking foreward to, he doesn’t offer any romantic scenes. Not like he did when he kissed Katie. When he has his own choice of what he likes, he states it. He likes the dark, more complicated scenes. Not childish romance that he obviously has grown out of. Really after Equus do you think he’ll even remotely get a thrill out of teenage romance anymore? He clearly is swaying his career away from childish things. It’s understandable he’s looking foreward to a script that will give him that and that script is DH. It’s where Harry focuses on what he hs to do and becomes a man in his own right. And he does that without a romance.

Avatar Image says:

Do you notice, how nobody, but nobody, but nobody, in any of these interviews, ever mentions extended DVDs. It seems that all of the interviewers, including surprisingly enough our own Melissa or her like, never broach this most obvious of subjects.

Dan says how seriously they take the whole project and he says this by reference to the work on the DVDs. wELL…gOOD BUT…...

I only wish they would take it half as seriously as Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema did with the Lord of The Rings. Their extended DVDs were brilliant -and PROFITABLE !!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Dan wasn’t directly asked about the romance in either interview I provided, dear. In both interviews HE was the one to bring it up, not the person interviewing him. Even more recently during the Ootp DVD launch an interviewer asked him about RUPERT’s kissing scene and Dan brought up the fact that HE got a kiss in the movie too (“I kiss his sister!”). Once again he was not asked about his character’s romance, but he CHOSE to bring it up and was very good-natured.

And when speaking of looking forward to the scenes with Ginny he didn’t specify any one scene because notice he said “ALL the stuff with Ginny” as he was being directed to the next interviewer by his PR person.

And yes, Ginny was not physically present in DH much but she was constantly in Harry’s thoughts. She represented his future, the life he hoped to have when his ordeal was over. His dream of a family came true in the end and it was Ginny he was standing with in the end, seeing their children off to school.

Avatar Image says:

Well said Marissa! I have no doubt that Dan is looking forward to the Ginny scenes just like he stated before. I wouldn’t exactly call them all light either. Their break-up was very angsty and heart-wrenching. No lightness there.

Avatar Image says:

I wouldnt waste my time Marissa. People like certain characters more than others and ship certain ships, so then they tend to read into interviews what they want to hear out of them. Whether thats how the actors intended it or not. Silly really. They are fans of the books, just like us. In the end its JK Rowling’s opinion that finalizes things. Save the other mess for fanfiction.

Avatar Image says:

I honestly hope they don’t emphasize the romantic comedy aspects of this book too much. Yes, there were light moments in HBP- but I agree with jane’s earlier comments on page 1. I thought the book was more about harry learning of voldemort’s past with those dramatic pensieve scenes, the horcruxes, snape, malfoy’s plans, harry’s relationship with dumbledore,etc. I always considered the romance as subplots and comic relief- like the yule ball in goblet of fire. I hope they strike a balance and stay true to the dark undertones of the film, especially with the finale.

Avatar Image says:

“When asked what scenes he is looking forward to, he doesn’t offer any romantic scenes. Not like he did when he kissed Katie.”

@ Marci, I think Dan talked a lot about the Harry/Cho kiss because he was constantly asked about it. The “first” of anything always gets the most attention from the media. The second time around is just not considered as interesting.

You also say that DH is “…where Harry focuses on what he has to do and becomes a man in his own right. And he does that without a romance.”

Without romance?? During his time at the Burrow, Harry thinks about Ginny a lot. They also have a great snogging scene in Ginny’s room. And of course, in the end, he and Ginny marry. Sounds a lot like romance to me.

Avatar Image says:

I think this interview: http://youtube.com/watch?v=yCcFRh0Z6-Q (1:52-2:26) <-is one of the few where Rupert doesn’t use much filler language. He looks enthuasiastic (he usually just looks chillaxed) and his sentence is coherent. He spoke in a way that’s unusual for him, and that’s very refreshing even if it’s a short bit. If you watch the bit following Rupert, you’ll see Bonnie who reacts similarly. I dunno if any of you have noticed but Bonnie has the same problem as Rupert. It can be VERY annoying to hear her interviews because she’ll say “sort of” every other word. But not in this one! It’s great; whoever interviewed them here should follow the cast to every single press junket. As for Dan and Emma is not their fault they like to talk; they just repeat themselves every interview anyway. Emma always talks about how she just believes that the films are getting darker and darker, better and better, Hermione does this and this for Harry. Dan does the same (minus the Hermione bit) but adds some funniness and charm plus a few vocabulary words here and there (e.g., leviathan). Rupes just is. I love them all.

Avatar Image says:

Cool interviews. David Yates and David Heyman are both right Chris Columbus deserves a standing ovation and a round of drinks for picking the three actors that he did. I think it’s funny how Dan isn’t excited about doing the lighter stuff, he wants to get to book 7 where Harry almost gets killed like 10 different times. Emma seems to really know her Harry Potter and also knows alot about her character and how Hermione’s mind works and I think that’s brilliant. Rupert is the same as usual. He didn’t say anything new. Just the same, “it’s kinda scary,” “it’s cool,” and of course like a million, “yeahs.” but whatever he’s cute so i forgive him for it.

Avatar Image says:

I’m with Dan Rad all the way. Wish we could just skip HBP and move on to Deathly Hallows. Plotwise, there’s nothing much there except for the Harry/Dumbledore scenes. That’s why the filmmakers want movie 6 to be a light romantic comedy. How else could they fill the 2 hour mark?

BTW, this is another article talking about Rupert’s inarticulateness. But at least, the reporter added another word to Grint’s vocabulary. He doesn’t just say “cool”, he also says “sort of”. lol

Avatar Image says:

Let me add my two cents to the discussion going on here:

1. HBP shouldn’t be turned into a lighthearted romantic comedy. THis is the book where Dumbledore died for Dobby’s sake. And puhleeze… why are they enlarging the Ron/Lavender thingy? The romance to watch out for in this book is Harry and GInny.

2. The trio are all grown up and their personalities are now pretty much set. Dan is “charming but serious” as one reporter says. Very eloquent too. And talks sense. I’m with him on getting on to DH and I might just skip HBP if Yates makes this all too romantic. Emma tends to be like bossy Hermione and exaggerate her importance in the movie. She did something like this too on the GOF DVD. Droned on and on abut Hermione’s great role in the DA. KInda understand her. Luna stole some of her lines in OotP. As for Rupert, it’s just not being shy. As one reporter says it, there’s nothing much there to begin with. I’ve always suspected that he hasn’t read the books so how can he talk intelligently about it? Just no acumen there.

Avatar Image says:

“And the expanding of the Lavender angle is tacky but actualy funny since lavender was previously in love with Harry and when she couldn’t get him, had to settle for the next best thing.”

Um. You actually have read the books, right? Lavender was never in love with Harry.

Avatar Image says:

Calm down Harry/Ginny fans! I’m sure your beloved “romance” will be in the film, done just as well as it was in the book. Yay for mary sues and chest monsters!

Avatar Image says:

Refreshing back pointers in cinematic arts, film is definitely diverse compared to a book. So, I believe that comparing the two is a misconception and would most likely lead to bewilderment or disappointments. Weaving a film out of several equally essential plots and subplots from a hundreds of pages book is like picking the best strawberry in a very immense field! that’s bloody hard!! and is really a talent.

Im very excited to see this talent again from the director, producer, all members of the cast especially the trio, and most importantly the minds behind those wonderful films without forgetting of course the great mind who sets all brains to work. Thanks Jo!!

Avatar Image says:

T_D_O, we are not bashing Ron. We are stating a fact – he is rubbish at interviews. Period.

Avatar Image says:

While I think HBP is the “romance book” of the series, there will still be dark bits. They’re not going to leave out Dumbledore’s death or Snape killing him for crying out loud.

I am looking forward to seeing Harry and Ginny’s kiss, though. That was so cute in the book.

Avatar Image says:

Whoops! I meant to say Rupert not Ron! I think Ron would have been okay at interviews – look at how he brags about how well he played in quidditch in the later books. Very good at talking it up. Some of his arguments with Hermoine become very verbous and witty. Our rupert grint however seems limited to monosyllabic replies, simple re-reflection of questions asked or resort to common teenage expressions of the day – ‘cool’! ‘wicked’! etc which was endearing when he was 13 but nauseating when he is 19.

Avatar Image says:

Very well put, Muddtallica :)

Avatar Image says:

I enjoyed the interview. Though I do have to say that his bashing of the 3 is getting rather old. Makes me want to avoid the comments really. (IMHO, ad hominem attacks aren’t useful nor do they contribute to good discussion.)

Avatar Image says:

“Ever hear an interview with Johnny Depp or Dustin Hoffman? Yeah, they answer questions much like Rupert does – and it doesn’t seem to have hurt their careers much.”

Ever heard Depp when he was younger, the guy was funny and very talkative, the difference is that Depp doesn’t do much interviews now that he’s older because he had so many problems with the media when he was younger…either way Depp is articulated when he speaks, Rupert is not, Depp reads tons of book which gives him a very nice vocabulary, the guy is eloquent when he talks maybe he’s shy but one thing is to be shy and another is to be eloquent, Rupert is nothing like Depp or Hoffman when they were young or even now that they are older.

Avatar Image says:

Well Marissa those quotes were done a year so so ago, before Equus…when he was asked about kissing Bonnie in an interiew while promoting OotP he said it is going to be weird kissing her and so…that was the first time that he directed the whole kissing scene as weird…maybe he was still young and innocent when he was asked about those questions a year ago, but it looks like after Equus the whole romance is not something he does look forward to do it, I think Dan is more into deep drama scenes than some kind of romantic comedy scenes, I think after HP we might seen Dan doing work very similar to Johnny Depp, he’s talking dark roles to play, I can see Dan doing something similar….

Avatar Image says:

Hey, 12 grimmauld place, Dan is the most classically handsome guy on the HP set and that’s a description from danhaters lol! They can’t get better lookin’! Going by the reactions these interviews have gotten, the majority of the people AGREE with Dan. POA was the movie that went furthest from the story line, making SuperHermione the hero of the story and ignoring an important part of Harry’s backstory, the Marauders. The audience screamed bloody murder and answered with their pocketbooks by making it the least successful movie. Hopefully WB will realize this and possibly edit the story into THE STORY and place the least important stuff into the background where it belongs. Unfortunately with the writer’s strike, I don’t know if they will be able to salvage this story.

Incidentally, Jo involves herself very little with the moviemaking except to correct the odd thing that would have interfered with future storylines so we can’t blame her for how the movies end up. That is the responsibility of the screenwriters and the director and the editing team. We can however, blame her for a crappy story and that’s what this book was.

I also agree that you can’t blame Emma for her centering on her character. What actor cares about other characters? Her responsibility is to work on her character and she is very intelligent and insightful judging by her responses in other interviews as well. I also agree with that other poster who thought perhap Rupert hadn’t really read this book. But going by my response to this book, eh, I can’t say I blame him!

Avatar Image says:

Suzanne, I know it’s not worth it, but I suppose I’m a bit of a masochist these days. Very true though, JKR’s opinion is the only one that matters in the end. She’s got the final say on these things and she’s made her opinion on this matter crystal clear many times.

Harry and Ginny’s relationship wasn’t all sunlit days and happy hours by the lake as AlisonK pointed out. Voldemort was standing in the way of their life together, after all. Plenty of angst for Dan to enjoy. ;) I can’t wait to see how Dan and Bonnie do with the break-up and Ginny pulling Harry away from Dumbledore’s body.

Look again, Ana. Only the GoF premiere interview was well before Equus. The interview Dan did with Quint of Aint It Cool News is dated July 7th 2007 AFTER his stint in Equus. Quint asked him, “What are you looking forward to doing the most in the next movie… if they don’t cut it?”

Dan answered: “I would say the scenes with Horace Slughorn. I’ve got no idea who’s playing him. I’ve got one person in particular who I’d love to play him… All the stuff with Ginny and all the stuff towards the end in the caves… all of that…”

The other interview I mentioned that was conducted during the DVD Launch is as recent as this month. Yes, Dan’s said in a different interview it might be a bit weird to film because he has known Bonnie since they were children. Even Rupert and Emma have said it would be ‘weird’ when they’d have to kiss because they’ve known each other so long. Is that really so shocking? It doesn’t mean they aren’t pleased with the status of their characters. Honestly!

Avatar Image says:

“And I’m so sad to see these kids be slagged off by ‘rival fans’. They all seem like wonderful and very sweet people. Dan, Rupert, Emma, Bonnie, all of them. I don’t understand why some feel the need to inadvertently slam one to praise the other. It’s not a contest, it’s really not. I think it’s horrible.”

WELL SAID, MARISSA! It’s so sad to see HP fandom descending into cheap and incredibly immature bashing. I’m also part of His Dark Materials fandom and this kind of behaviour just doesn’t exist there. I wish people would grow up.

Avatar Image says:

12 Grimmauld Place, I may agree on the midget but not on the unhandsome face. Dan is classically handsome and has often been likened to Elijah Wood who is a very good looking man by any standards.

As for Rupert, heh, I’m not bashing when I say he’s inarticualte. It’s almost an accepted fact. Nothing new there. It’s not a matter of shyness even which would have been cute. It’s just a lack of something inside for how can you share somehting you don’t have? BTW, I’m a Depp fan and he has become reticent in current interviews because he wants to go low key. THat’s not shyness. He has just found a way to cope with his celebrity status. Not the same thing with Grint who still needs to have more publicity and a reeinvention of his image.

BTW, Emma seems to be taking after Dan’s footsteps. She has now decided to be an actress and I won’t be surprised if she takes a vacation from her university ambitions. Might even stay in showbusiness for good.

Avatar Image says:

Emma just recently said that she will continue her education at a university. She will never give up that dream for acting. She doesn’t want to limit herself with acting, she has other things she’s interested in too. But she is thinking about having a career in acting, something she wasn’t sure about before. But she’s stated again and again, uni is in her near future. Fortuanetly she’ll be trying to fill her down time with acting roles, sounds like anyways.

Avatar Image says:

“Elijah Wood who is a very good looking man by any standards”

LMAO. Funniest thing I’ve heard all day.

Avatar Image says:

I would love to interview Ron. He’s extroverted and funny. He’d spin a good yarn, but wouldn’t talk about the really private stuff. And his ears would go red every time someone mentioned his girl Hermione. And as a recent convert to SPEW, he would plug her favourite cause. ;D

Avatar Image says:

Marissa that interview of Dan was done by Melissa from TLC at the GoF premier, they just posted the same thing he said back in 2005, word by word…but as you can see he doesn’t input the romantic aspect of his character in his latest interviews, usually when he was asked about any fav scene while filming OotP he would mentioned the cho/harry kiss as his fav scene, now days he talks about the Dumbeldore scene, and a few other ones…but doesn’t bring the romantic side between Harry/Ginny, sometimes like he did in one interivew where he said that he also kiss Ron’s sister, but he was clearly trying to be funny, plus if there is any mentioned in the future is more to promote the movie, to make the movie more interesting, I think he does enjoy talking about someone else romantic scenes like in this case Rupert. I’ll try to find the interview where he was asked about kissing Bonnie, he said is going to be weird kissing her, he never said that about Katie, he was quite excited about that kiss, no so much about the Harry and Ginny kiss.

Avatar Image says:

ana, that might be because Bonnie is a bit younger. Katie is two years older than Dan and he hadn’t known her since she was a little kid so he wouldn’t have felt as awkward about kissing her. He’s known Bonnie since she was 8 or 9 years old so of course it would strange for him, and for Bonnie too.

There’s also the possibility that he’s never had an attraction to Bonnie that he admits having had to Katie (and Emma). That may be an age issue too.

But he’ll be totally professional about the kissing scenes with Bonnie, and I’m sure he’ll make her feel comfortable about it. Don’t forget, it’s probably far more nerve-wracking for Bonnie who’s never done kissing scenes before.

And in DH, Emma will be nervous about her kissing scenes having never done them before. We forget that they’re young and are doing some things on screen for the first time in their careers.

Avatar Image says:

”@meera, are you suggesting that Emma Watson does not have magical powers?? Or is it something else??”

Hehehe that made me laugh!

“Anyone reading your comment might assume that you know Emma Watson personally. My guess is that would be a mistake.”

Ask me no questions and i shall tell no lies.

Avatar Image says:

“Ask me no questions and i shall tell no lies.”

Avatar Image says:

“This implies that if asked (personal) questions about Ms Watson, you would lie as a matter of course. So yeah, it probably is best that you say nothing at all. Infact, why even hint that you have something to tell in the first place?

Fortunately, intelligent folk take other people as they find them, rather than as someone else says they are (and opinions vary of course). So if you did decide to drop a Ms Watson expose anywhere, I’d hope people would take it with a pinch of salt and reserve judgement.”

I didn’t mean to imply anything but, goodness this is hard to say without breaking a few promises, my original comment was just stating that se wasn’t like hermione. And yes I would have to lie if you asked me a question about emma because, its hard to explain, i just can’t.

Just ignore me I’ve dug myself a hole and I better be quite now.

p.s. sorry if i upset you. I didn’t mean to but i’m not good at writing comments as the wrong context is usually taken when i write. i better brush up on my writing ;-)

Avatar Image says:

Ana, the interview with Quint was brand new, not something copied from 2005. Dan simply repeated the answer about what he’s looking forward to (hint: because those are STILL the scenes he’s looking forward to) and added the bit about Slughorn in addition to Ginny and the cave scenes.

As I said, I’ve already watched the interview you’re talking about. Dan said it could be ‘weird’ because they’ve known each other since they were children. Not so with Katie. And as Zee pointed out all of his leading ladies so far have been older than him. Bonnie is younger. Again, doesn’t mean they aren’t excited. They’ve all said it’d be fun.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t thing Dan is that excited to kiss Bonnie, I think for him the whole kissing a girl in movies is not an issue or something that excite him any more like it happened a few years ago, he has done DB when he kissed a lot, OoTP Harry’s first kiss, and in Equus he was kissing and also naked simulating sex on stage. And when Dan talks about the Harry and Ginny scenes, I think Dan is the kind of professional that will comment on what people want to hear and as good actor as he is, he has to spice up the movie with comments like that, but you can already see Dan not getting too much into the romantic scenes, he said it himself that he prefer the more dark scenes, compare to Rupert and Emma who likes the light comedy romantic scenes.

Avatar Image says:

Miia, Dan has said repeatedly that he’s excited to kiss Bonnie. Preferring darker/angsty roles to comedy has nothing to do with that. A lot of actors think comedy is very hard, and I can’t blame them, in many ways, comedy is a lot harder than drama. Dan even says Rupert has the comic timing and he must not think he himself does. But he shouldn’t be so hard on himself, he was wonderful in Extras, which was nothing but comedy.

Avatar Image says:

Debra, you’re taking the word of one reporter who interviewed Rupert for, what, three minutes that there’s no “there” there? I think you’ll find other reporters, including the lovely folks right here on TLC, who would disagree with you. I’ve seen interviews with him where he is articulate and has something new and interesting to say, but those are invariably with reporters who have asked him interesting, and NEW questions, not the same questions the trio are always asked by too many reporters who haven’t bothered to do any work or research to prep themselves. Rupert clearly doesn’t handle the repetitive questions as well as Dan and Emma do, or the types where a lot of people are interviewing him at once. I used to prep executives for interviews, and I can tell you that even some of the most articulate had trouble with interviews. One on one they’re great, but interviews were another story. They’re far more difficult than you would expect, and likely excruciating for someone who is uncomfortable with them to begin with. I’m willing to give him a pass. In fact, I give the trio credit for not running screaming out of the room the 50th time they’re asked about how “dark” the books and films have gotten.

As far as accusing Rupert of never having read the books, Rupert said himself in the TLC interview this past summer that he was planning to reread HBP before filming began. He said either there or elsewhere that he does that before every film begins.

So, I guess what I’m trying to say is, if you don’t like the way Rupert interviews, don’t bother reading them. In any case, the only thing we all really should care about anyway is not how the trio perform in interviews but how they perform in front of the movie camera.

Avatar Image says:

Kelly, I’m not taking the word of only one reporter but many. Actually, the words “nothing there” are the words of the first reporter to publish her report of the DVD launch. For myself, I’ve watched Rupert in some interviews and he does tend to… be in Rupertland. He will give a different answer to the question being asked. Maybe he’s just rattled or what, but answers like that tend to give the impression that he’s not smart in the head. As for not reading the books, I’m not accusing him. I just suspected that he has not read the books. He says he does but how come he can’t talk intelligently about it? He didn’t even know that Ron had quidditch scenes in OotP. (GOF DVD interview) That implies that he just relied on what the sripttwriter and the Director said to him.

But you’re right, it’s his acting that matters most not his work outside the camera. Dan and Emma are already terrific advertisements for HP, Rupert can remain in their shadows.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

If ron was really with luna i would cut her!!

Avatar Image says:

Ross, he hasn’t repeatedly said he is excited to kiss Bonnie, he mentioned the Ginny scenes to TLC and then while promoting OotP he said it (if I’m not mistaken) 2 times, then in another interview he said “it’s going to be weird…” so let’s not put word in his mouth…he repeatdly talk about the kissing scene when he did it with Katie.

And Dan has no problem with the comedy aspect, again you’re putting words in his mouth that he finds it difficult to film these scenes, Dan has done a lot of light and no so light comedy, including Equus which he used a lot of sarcastic comedy, but as an actor he does prefer the more dramatic tone in a movie, personally I find easy to make people laugh, with dumb comedy or with smart comedy (however you want to put it) drama is another notch, it is complicated to find the right tone on drama, if you push it too much it comes as force if you don’t push enough it comes as light and boring, Dan has master drama which is reflected in the projects he has done so far, he is more into dark drama than light romance comedy, I don’t picture Dan watching those teen romantic movies but movies with smart scripts and powerful themes…

Avatar Image says:

Every time he’s been asked, and even times when he hasn’t, he’s expressed excitement over it. He said it’d be weird because he’s known Bonnie since she was 9, but he’s still excited about it. Especially at the OotP premiere, he sounded very excited.

I’m not putting any words in Dan’s mouth, he himself said he finds the darker stuff easier and is drawn to it. He said Rupert can do the comic stuff well, and he himself doesn’t seem to think he can. Nothing wrong with that.

Avatar Image says:

Dan was just being diplomatic when he said that he prefers the dark stuff than the light stuff. He has great comedic timing as evidenced by his turn in “Extras”. I suspect what Dan really means is that he didn’t like the way they have turned HBP into just a lighthearted romantic comedy film. But he’s too well bred to say that the script sucks. Maybe that’s why he also isn’t looking forward to the GInny scenes. I mean, he couldn’t stop talking about kissing Katie before. ONly two reasons for that: 1. He doesn’t find Bonnie attractive (whereas Katie is “beautiful” OR; 2. he’s following what the filmmakers want – to make the Lavender/Ron thingy as the selling point of the HBP movie just as the Harry/Cho kiss was the publicity centerpiece of OotP.

Avatar Image says:

“he himself doesn’t seem to think he can. ” Again you’re putting words in his mouth, when he has said that he doesn’t think he can do comendy, when and where please post quotes to back up what you’re talking about, he has done Extras, which by the way his episode was nominated for an Emmy, in DB he has funny lines, specially when he is with Lucy (Maps gf), and in Equus he has to the funny sarcastic tone, which is great, so he has dones all kind of comedy which shows he is more than capable to do comedy, but that is something that he doesn’t like to do in his professional projects, I think he did it and show he CAN do it and then move on to what he really likes which is drama, you really can tell what kind of movie topics he likes with the tittle books he mentioned in his latest fan letters.

About the Ginny scenes, I only have heard him talking about it about 2 times, and I’m a Dan fans so I have read most of his interviews, the last interview he did (video not writing press) was when he said that it was going to be weird kissing Bonnie, then there was the comment of Harry kissing ROn’s sister, but he didn’t show any excitment compare to when he was talking about the kiss between Cho and Harry, that right there was excitment.

Avatar Image says:

Debra: I’m not disagreeing with you that Rupert has done some terrible interviews. I’m just saying that perhaps he’s very uncomfortable with the circumstances, which doesn’t mean he’s dumb. I know which interview you were referring to, I saw it myself. I actually thought that it wasn’t one of his worst interviews considering the reporter asked the same questions everyone has already asked – nothing original. BTW, Emma and Dan didn’t say anything new, either, they just used more words. Sometimes when Rupert does a really bad interview I think that maybe he’s doing it on purpose so people will leave him alone. Perhaps he doesn’t care if people think he’s stupid if it means he won’t have to do interviews, or at least not as many as Dan and Emma.

Both Dan and Emma have very exuberant public personalities, and Rupert’s public personality is really laid back. We have to remember that we don’t know any of the trio personally, so what they are or aren’t like in reality is a matter of conjecture. They show us what they want us to see.

Avatar Image says:

Kelly that’s true. I always get the impression Rupert doesn’t give a toss what anyone says about him, everyone loves him anyway, so why should he?, unlike Dan and partly Emma. They’re not as secure as Rupert. I reckon Rupert is far more open in real life, he’s just keeps it to himself in interviews etc…, (good trick Rupert, less is more as they say). I also think Rupert has probably read the books once and that’s it, just like myself. He’s not a Harry Potter nut, they’re just books which he has to read because he’s in the films! He’s an actor, it’s only a job. Ron’s a part which is pretty obvious from the start, he’s the comedy side-kick, it’s an easy character if you’re skilled in that type of role, which Rupert clearly is. I can NEVER feel sorry for Rupert, because he is good and he knows it. Why do you think he doesn’t do lots of stuff outside Potter, he doesn’t need to, he knows he’s good, he’s got nothing to prove.

Dan is the one I feel especially sorry for, he isn’t that good of an actor and he hasn’t got the stunning looks like Emma, which will carry her, or the natural skill that Rupert has. He’s not proved himself as an actor, even though he’s tried to outside in Equus & MBJ and sadly, the Harry Potter films haven’t shown him in a good light as an actor, so he’s dead after Harry. I go for the underdog and Dan is definately that in the bigger picture.

Harry is a far more complex, quite a morbid character so he’s not popular like Ron or Hermione. Dan’s need for darkness is maybe his only way of being able to get a grip on the character from the hollow screenplays, or the only skill he has as an actor.! So when people keep slagging off Dan, please take into consideration the feelings that as Dan fans, we may never see him again after Harry finishes!! Rupert and Emma are guaranteed a future, that’s why I like to see Dan at the forefront, get him while we can.

As for the romance, I think it’s been handled extremely badly through all the films, as the adaptations have. The films could have been soooo much better but it seems the actors get the blame for it, (especially Dan), but does he write the screenplays that leave out Rupert?, not that I know of, so blame the Kloves and Goldberg!

Write a Reply or Comment