J.K. Rowling Hosts Party Before Auction of “Tales of Beedle the Bard”

Dec 11, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Author J.K. Rowling hosted a party tonight in honor of the upcoming Sotheby’s auction of the “Tales of Beedle the Bard” book. Metro reports that Jo gave a reading of fairy tales mentioned in the final Harry Potter novel before they are auctioned to raise money for a children’s charity. You can see photos of JKR at this event, here via Getty, and Rex Features.

As reported previously, Sotheby’s will be auctioning off a special hand-written book by J.K. Rowling called “The Tales of Beedle the Bard” which were mentioned in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” All proceeds from this auction will benefit The Children’s Voice charity. The book is one of seven that Jo created, with the other six going as gifts to special friends of the author. The book is currently on display in London, England before it goes up for auction this Thursday. You can see additional photos of this unique book here in our galleries, and read Melissa’s special preview of the book, here.

45 Responses to J.K. Rowling Hosts Party Before Auction of “Tales of Beedle the Bard”

Jo didn’t invite me?!

Avatar Image says:

Jo’s looking fabulous, as always :) Anyone who got to go to this is extremely lucky!!

Avatar Image says:

You mean these people got the hear the story from Jo!

Oh my god that is Awesome!!!

Dang nabbit, I cannot possibly say the word Awesome without getting Whommpy’s House of Awesome song stuck in my head!

Avatar Image says:

She did a reading and we’ll never get to here it…damn!

Avatar Image says:

Am I the only one feeling a bit like this book, which none of us are aver going to know the contents of, written by an author we have devotedly followed for ten years, is getting dangled over our noses and taunted with it?

At this point I’m coming to the conclusion that the contents of this (probably) amazing book will never be published for mass consumption, and I won’t be able to read it because I’m not a billionaire. I’m more than a little upset about this.

Avatar Image says:

Hee Hee Hee! Who is Whompy?

Yep! My toenails are turning green with jealousy. I wish Jo all the best with her auction.

Avatar Image says:

Well, at least my 15.00 for the booklet went to a good cause. I, however, have never received it. I’m more than just a tad disappointed and totally disgusted with Sothebys. I could cry actually. I really wanted to see it.

Avatar Image says:

Whompy is the Whomping Willows who is Matt Magocomo which is my favorite wizard wrock band ever.

His song ‘Oh Christmas Tree’ is on jingle spells and you can hear it on his myspace www.myspace.com/thewhompingwillows

Avatar Image says:

I am sorry to hear that Mom Weasley… it could have got lost among the xmas tons of mail (I hate when that happens).

Avatar Image says:

I would like to add that I also feel a little (okay, a LOT) envious of all those peeps who will hear/read the story. Yet, I will not lose hope about that little book getting published, not until I am buried six feet under!

Avatar Image says:

But, to the person that ordered the booklet from Sotheby’s and didn’t receive it, e-mail the catalogue department with your order number and tell them you didn’t get it. I ordered both catalogues (the HUGE one with a small mention of the book as well as the special booklet) and the HUGE one came damaged and I hadn’t received the booklet when I e-mailed them about it. They sent another copy of each, both of which, thankfully, came undamaged (and the booklet turned up the two days after I had e-mailed saying I didn’t get it). Woo-hoo!

Avatar Image says:

Has Jo ever said that this book is “never to be published”? No, she hasn’t has she? Then it will be published. Simple as that folks. I bet you plans are already in the works, but obviously if they are they can’t be made public yet because it would decrease the value of this book. Sit tight guys.

Avatar Image says:

Jo is doing a wonderful thing for charity. She is under no obligation to make public everything she writes. Sure, a part of me wishes that I too could read the Tales of Beedle the Bard (and I hope you’re right, Amy, that eventually it might go public in some form), but I respect what she is doing and wish her all the best with this charity auction.

So no, I do not feel like Jo is doing any kind of “dangling.” “You can’t always get what you want,” as the Rolling Stones once said.

Thanks, Katie.

Avatar Image says:

“I’m sad that it’s being dangled about us but none of us will ever have the chance to read it because we’re not rolling in the dough. sigh”

It’s the feeling of many, renee.

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Renee, I’ll give that a try!

sigh

No good deed goes unpunished

Avatar Image says:

Be patient people. I am sure the text of the four unknown stories will appear in some form. Even if the book is “never to be published”, (which doesn’t seem to be anything Jo has said directly) the stories can still appear in some form, in the long promised Encyclopedia perhaps, or maybe (one at a time) behind the door on Jo’s website, and as I do expect her to do something on her site around Christmas, it might be sooner than people think.

Avatar Image says:

Jo is looking beautiful as ever there! And glad to see there aren’t any random “celebrities” in those photos!

To the people moaning about Beedle, please give it a rest! Just be happy that it exists! If you’re not, then well, it’s only yourself that you’re upsetting ;)

Renee:

Did the two items come separately? I got the big catalog last night, but no Beedle the Bard catalog yet.

Diluvia

Avatar Image says:

Jo looks beautiful. I love the gorgeous print of her dress.

Avatar Image says:

Seriously guys how can you’ll be so unsupportive of JK Rowling for not making the book public. I understand you’ll are dissapointed to not get a chance to read it ( so am I ) but look at it this way, she could have published it and made another couple of million dollars out of it, but she chose to put it up for charity instead. This is seriously one of the best things that she has ever done, and I think we should applaud her rather than acting childish about not getting a chance to read those stories

Avatar Image says:

I’m in agreement with Amy, roonwit and others….the stories will appear, sooner or alter, in some format. just because we can’t have them, right now, and encrusted with precious stones on the leather covers doesnt mean we won’t get them. echoning others, patience!

Roonwit, I like your new idea of JKR releasing them through her website, nice touch!

Avatar Image says:

budb: That idea is one I have mentioned before, but Jo does seem to give us something for Christmas on her website. 2004 was a door opening saying “HBP is finished and the publishers will give a release date tomorrow”, 2005 was the diary on the desktop (replacing a previous Welcome message), and 2006 was another door opening revealing the title of DH. I think she will give us something at Christmas, and unless her half-written book for children is further on than we realize, a Beedle the Bard story seems like a sensible thing to put behind the door (each story probably isn’t any longer than the Acknowledgments she put there the day before the DH release).

Avatar Image says:

Actually I like the idea that the fairy tales are secret and only in the hands of those who have bought them. While, okay, it sucks a bit that we can’t get our own hands on the beautiful book as we’re not rich, think about it. This could raise £500,000 for a truly worthwhile charity, the sales of the catalogue go to this book, and the fact that Jo has retained copyright meaning they can’t be published by the buyer makes the purchase even more special. Don’t forget, this is a way for her to thank the six most important people to the creation of Harry Potter. The fact that someone else will be able to have a copy is just a wonderful bonus, with great repercussions for The Children’s Voice, and the publicity has certainly helped to raise awareness for the charity. I support her entirely.

Avatar Image says:

ARGH I didn’t win the lottery on Saturday, I was quite upset.

Did you know Evanna Lynch got to go to this to hear Jo read from the book.

WHY can’t I be a milionaire? It is really unfair that we have all been dedicated fans to Jo and her work and now we’re being punished for not being rich. I understand that it will raise a lot of money for her charity through the auction but I believe it will make so much more if she published it. Why isn’t she saying Thank you to us, the fans? Why don’t we deserve this treat.

As you can tell I am upset and very disappointed by this descision.

Avatar Image says:

I must have missed the earlier post where you suggested that, Roonwit…I remember you suggesting it would be in the Encyclopedia tho. I’m still holding out the idea that we’ll see the Tales as a stand lone volume (proceeds for charity), but, like you, I’m sure we’ll get them “sooner or later, in some format”

just ran to the store and got the dvd. now am motivated to get several projects done today to i can sit and watch without feeling guilty.

Avatar Image says:

budb: The Encyclopedia was my initial idea (and that may still happen even if Jo releases the text through her website). But I don’t think she would do a Beedle the Bard paperback, because I don’t think she will reproduce the drawings in the original 7 so they can retain some uniqueness, and with just the text it would be too short to make into a book. But it certainly isn’t impossible.

Avatar Image says:

(Other) Becca- as I said in my previous post, stop whining that you can’t see Beedle the Bard. There’s nothing you can do about it, is there? So you can either sit there getting all annoyed with Jo for trying to raise money for charity, or you can get over it.

Oh, and she has said thank you to the fans, many times. I think, though, that her family and friends are a bit more important to her!!

Avatar Image says:

roonwit, yeah, I’ve been doing the math as well. Perhaps with large font sizes, a fancier script-like type, and lots of illustrations (of some kind, even if not identical to those in the auctioned copy), it would be barely possible to stretch the Tales into 40 pages. Shorter than Quidditch or Fantastic Beasts, obviously. But, not impossible. We’ll be patient and see…

btw, for those that have the catalogue in hand: we know the word count for the Tales is “around 5500” ...but does the catalogue say how many pages the copy to be auctioned off will be? Just curious, trying to picture what could be done in terms of mass publishing…

One more must-do project, then I can sit in front of the tv without feeling guilty…or maybe I’ll just say “oh, why not!” and procrastinate on the work…..

Avatar Image says:

The book is circa 160 pages.

Avatar Image says:

What is this big catalogue you guys are talking about I have the beedle the bard catalogue, but never heard about the big one?

Avatar Image says:

The big catalogue is the other catalogue that you were offered when you ordered the Beedle the Bard one, and is the catalogue for the auction that Beedle the Bard is the last lot in. I doubt there was anything in it about Beedle that wasn’t in the special catalogue, though a separate drawing by Jo was also in the auction.

Avatar Image says:

Roonwit said: though a separate drawing by Jo was also in the auction.

You can find this drawing on their website. They have descriptions of all items from this large catalogue, and pictures of most of them. It’s a sort of online catalogue. You just have search under the heading for the catalogues, and look for the auctions held on 13 Dec.

Everytime I see the Beedle the Bard book on television, I get so greedy. Wannahave, wannahave… It’s not just the stories, but it looks so great with the silver ornaments and everything. Well, I do hope, we get to read the stories someday and see the drawings. Surely, she scanned them to her computer…? But I also understand that the people who supported her through thick and thin, deserve something really special. And this charity is a very good cause.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, Roonwit…trying to picture what could be, ya know?

And, yes, I said “Oh, why not”....i deserved a break, after all!

Avatar Image says:

yay, im traveling all the way to London tomorrow to go see it, anybody else goin? or who else has been, do you actually get to touch it or what

Avatar Image says:

I travelled for 2 hours on the train on sunday to see the book at Sothebys in London. It was fantasic, I wont forget it. I have my badges and catalogue to remember it aswell.

:( If only I was very rich…

Avatar Image says:

Kiwi – the book is in a glass case with 3 security guards around it and rope so you cant get to close to the case. It is open at at angle so you can see the front cover and the first page.

Avatar Image says:

I so wish, I could have gone to see it :o(

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe how selfish some HP fans are! She’s doing this for charity! that’s far more important than us! Get your priorities straight!

Avatar Image says:

Has anyone bought the other catalogue worth i think 20 pounds or something as it has the picture that jo drew which also is going on auction tommorrow.

Avatar Image says:

I too am “dissappointed” in Jo’s “handling” of her special book. First, with royalties and sales all donated to the charity, you would think it would earn more over time for the charity. But then maybe she is “clever” then we’re giving her credit for and will release it for the masses later. She would have the the nearly $ 4 million from the auction AND the royalties/sales donated to the charity. If not don’t even tell us about something we’ll never get to experience. How cruel! But if she was going to do that, than tell us. The person/persons who paid big bucks at the auction is still getting their money’s worth. . . handwritten, signed, leather & jewel encrusted, special edition but her fans wouldn’t feel so dissappointed and used. If not for the loyal readers and followers, she’d not be able to benefit this charity. I truly hope she does allow it to come out for publication and in my lifetime! I would hate to think the author I had come to love has turned like so many other and forgotten already where she came from and how she got there.

Avatar Image says:

patience Katie….there is no reason to think that we’ll never see the Tales, on the contrary, based on how JKR’s writings have been released so far everything points to the Tales becoming available to all, “sooner or later, in some format”

Avatar Image says:

Katie- the majority of Jo’s fans don’t feel disappointed (with one S, might I add) and used, because we’re not that selfish.

And, uhm… how is creating something that gives almost £2million to charity forgetting where she came from and how she got there? She’s probably the most humble “celebrity” I’ve ever come across.

Avatar Image says:

To those who are upset that “Tales of Beedle the Bard” is not commercially available to everyone, lets look at it this way…

Lets say you were a world famous chef. Millions of people have eaten at your restaurant in the past 20 years, and absolutely loved it. You decide to make a one of a kind meal for your closest, nearest and dearest for the support they have given you while starting up your restaurant, picking out the linens, perfecting the menu, etc. Does that mean you now have to make that meal available to everyone who wants it? No. That would take away from the gift you are giving to your closest, nearest and dearest. But your closest, nearest & dearest would not mind if you made up one more place setting for charity benefit.

JKR did not have to make one more for charity, or even let anyone know that she made the gifts in the first place. Amazon won the bidding, and reportedly will take the book on tour to schools, where many will have a chance to see it and hear a couple of the tales.

As we have learned from the 7 HP books, you are not alwq\ays dealt the best hand, but it is what you choose do do with the cards you are dealt that matters.

You are choosing to be “dissapointed” rather than saying, “I am so glad she treats her closest this way.” Those who choose to be “upset they aren’t billionaires that could have bid”, and may have not shared themselves, instead of happy that Amazon said they will share by bringing “Tales of Beedle the Bard” on tour to many children. Those who choose to “feel it should have been published & then profits are given to charity” instead of “thank God, many will benefit from the sale of just one book” ‘cause there are so many out there that could help in many ways, but don’t. Those that choose to think JKR should say “thank you” to her fans, instead of taking a step back and realizing that she has given the fans “thank yous” in many ways, multiple times.

I myself am happy she treats her closest friends well and gives to charity. While it would be neat to see how many little bits from “Tales of Beedle the Bard” I could refrence to the HP series. I believe all the important parts were already explained in book 7. And my life is not altered in anyway by not having the “Tales of Beedle the Bard” available to me.

Write a Reply or Comment