Imelda Staunton Receives London Critics Circle Nomination for OotP

333

Dec 15, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The London Critics Circle have released their nominations for their annual awards ceremony which highlight achievements made in British cinema and by British actors. Actress Imelda Staunton, who portrayed Dolores Umbridge in the “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” film, received a nomination for that role in the category of ‘British Actress in a Supporting Role.’ Fellow nominees in this category are: Saoirse Ronan (“Atonement”), Tilda Swinton (“Michael Clayton”), Kelly Macdonald (“No Country for Old Men”), and Vanessa Redgrave (“Atonement”).

Along with Mrs. Staunton, fellow Harry Potter film actors Julie Christie (Madam Rosmerta), Toby Jones (Dobby), and Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) received nominations for their work in other various films this past year. You can view the full list of categories and nominations here via Variety. The London Critics Circle awards ceremony will take place in London on February 8.

As we told you earlier in the week, “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” also received a nomination for “Family Film (live action)” at the Broadcast Film Critics Awards. Congratulations Imelda!

9 Responses to Imelda Staunton Receives London Critics Circle Nomination for OotP

Avatar Image says:

Well done, Ms. Staunton! You portrayed our beloved sickeningly-sweet sycophant like no one else could: sugar and lollipops on the outside and venoumous tentacula on the inside…

Avatar Image says:

Yay!!! Imelda’s my most favourite actress! I hope she wins!

Avatar Image says:

Hem, hem. Congradulations Imelda for creating a character I love to hate.

Avatar Image says:

omg! that’s huge news, i dont’ think any HP actor has ever gotten serious praise for their roles in the films…

Avatar Image says:

lol, congrats! And it does look acward seeing her in green xD xoxo

Avatar Image says:

cong imelda Staunton.but why is alan rickman not in supporting actor nom. and why is daniel radcliffe not in british Breakthrough nom.i think english people dont like rickman and radcliffe.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think it is that they dislike Dan or Alan Rickman, it is just that the role of Dolores Umbridge is one of those standout supporting roles in a film that if played well will always attract the attention at awards time.

It’s no different to really good actors in long running drama series who slog away week after week playing their roles really well but they get overlooked for the flashier supporting players or guest actors.

Avatar Image says:

personally I think its great that people are getting nominated for awards (who have taken part in the “harry potter” films). Firstly it acknownedges that the series has been noticed by “the crits”,Secondly that the films have been watched by the ‘said “crits”. Ms Staunton played the part very well (as did all the other people who played a part in the film) Her air of “superiority” was very good, All the actors have made a ‘superb job’ ! The role of Umbridge is central to the plot in this film, she did that ! (we learned to ‘love to hate’ the person she was playing) Of course she isnt the only actor in the film but her existance in this film is pivital to the plot, also is a ‘new role’ Personally I would give every actor in the films an award. Each uniquely portraying a given part. I am sure most will be nominated for awards in different categories. Well done all !

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations! Althrough I didn’t really like who she played the role, because it was too ‘caricaturesque’, too over played, I see her and think “this is a child movie”, which it’s not what I think when I read the books or I see the other actors, they play it like their characters where real, you don’t see they are acting, but with Umbridge you see it’s not a real character… But I think she is a great actress, and she seems to be a really nice woman. :)

Write a Reply or Comment