In Depth Profile and Interview with Emma Watson

280

Dec 15, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Actress Emma Watson is profiled in a new article online from the Telegraph. This lengthy piece goes into much detail about her young life, her desire to become “a proper actress,” and her new project, the upcoming film “Ballet Shoes.” She first speaks of this new role and of its differences from her role as Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films, as well as her own personal connections to this new character:

‘It’s the first time I’ve been anything but Hermione,’ she says, fiddling with the cushions. ‘Pauline is headstrong, so in that way she is quite like Hermione, but she is not academic. In fact, she actually reminds me of myself as a child, much more than Hermione does. Pauline is utterly obsessed with being an actress and I was just like that when I was younger. I dreamt of it. I practised speeches in front of mirrors. Whenever there was a part at school, I went for it. I was probably a bit of a show-off in the sense that any chance to get up and be seen, I did it.’ She sounds like a nightmare. ‘I was such a drama queen,’ she says, blushing a bit. ‘I used to wail and moan and cry, and little things were blown up into being big things. I don’t know how my parents stood it, really.’ She says she isn’t like that at all now. ‘I’ve grown up a bit,’ she says. ‘I’ve had to.’

Acting, however, is not the only avenue Miss Watson is perusing. She goes on to detail her plans to apply at Cambridge to ‘read English and philosophy,’ by saying: “I feel it’s terribly important to continue with my education, in case acting doesn’t work out for me.” The interview goes on to discuss her life as a teenager and an actress, along with life she has lead being both. The topics of seeing her family, relationships, and fashion are also mentioned in this extended look at her career. The profile concludes with Emma’s thoughts on the world shown in “Ballet Shoes,” one which she feels ‘captivates everyone it touches.’ Asked about the relevance of this story, which looks at the aftermath of war, and whether this generation will be interested, she says:

‘Yes, I still think it’s relevant,’ she says enthusiastically. ‘Everyone loves that world, don’t they? The backstage world of what actually goes on during the rehearsals of a play or the making of a film. I thought it would be so glamorous, so exciting.’ And isn’t it? Emma Watson looks at me in surprise. ‘Yes,’ she says, eyes open wide, ‘of course.’

“Ballet Shoes” will be broadcast December 26 on BBC1 at 8:30pm.

37 Responses to In Depth Profile and Interview with Emma Watson

Avatar Image says:

This was a fantastic interview. She is so well spoken, bright, classy and has a good head on her shoulders. The fact that she is pursuing her education and plans to go to university shows you she realizes that there are no guarantees in life. I really hope that I can somehow see “Ballet Shoes” at some point although I am in the states!

Way to go Emma- one of my favorite actresses :)

Avatar Image says:

Nice interview. She really comes off as being down to earth and level headed. She seems to hae her prorities right. I’ve heard really good reviews are coming out for ballet Shoes. Sounds like a magical movie. can’t wait to see it.

Avatar Image says:

She is so irritating!!! She always acts like a PRIMA DONNA she is so full of herself!!!!

I used to love her in the first and second movie. She was a great actress and was a perfect Hermione…. but now she is an Hermione who always wears pink and solved all her problems with the bushie hair. The only reason why she will get more jobs is only because of the fame that the Harry Potter movies brought to her, because I’m pretty sure that there r other girls out there who can play the actress much better then her.

Avatar Image says:

The interview had a very somber feeling to it…

Avatar Image says:

It was a good interview. It’s surprising that there seems to be quite a bit of humility there. Maybe it’s being in Britain (away from Hollywood), or maybe it’s just really good parents/family, but how many young actors in the US, who had been in 5 of the highest grossing films of all time, would say things like ”... in case acting doesnt work out”? I’m guessing none. good on her.

It was a bit somber, tho. I feel bad for how much she’s missed, and from what she says (about hiding in the department store, and not being able to just go into town for coffee), she does seem like she missed those experiences.

More power to ya, Emma.

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, sad interview if you ask me. She sounds very unhappy about everything she’s missed, and like she’s not enjoying fame at all, which makes me wonder why she’s persuing it.

Avatar Image says:

The interviewer was the one who made it sound all sad. Emma doesn’t seem sad. She seems like she loves what she does and she is smart enough to know whether or not this is what she really wants to do or not and since she is pursuing this career it is obvious acting is what she wants to do. She understands what she has missed out on and what she has to deal with but it seems to me that she has accepted it and moved on because this is what she really wants to do. I say good for Emma! She is obviously very intelligetnt, well spoken, and knows how to carry herslef which is very refreshing to see in a young actress these days.

You gotta love her! :D

Avatar Image says:

AWESOME!! I love her. She’s such an amazing role model and she’s so smart. I love how much she values Education, I really admire that. Because education is very important. LIke Emma said in another interview, acting is an unpredictable business, so you have to have something to fall back on. That’s why so many celebs are like musicians/actors/fashion designers because they know they need a back up. But Emma is such a great actress, I’m sure she’ll be a very successful. I think she’s like the next Natalie Portman or Scarlett Johanssen

Avatar Image says:

yes a very somber article. She sounds a nice girl, but that interview does come across a bit unhappy. Maybe it’s just the sort of questions she was asked.

But I don’t like how celebrities compain about pubicity one minute and then court it the next. If she does’t like publicity she should step back and not encourage it so much, her Chanel outfits aren’t going to help her be low key. Rupert manages to live a normal life apparently.

Avatar Image says:

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with Hermione wearing pink. I read it all the bloody time. I just don’t get all the fuss about that.

Just because the characters best mates are boys and is a bookworm doesn’t mean she can’t wear pink. And it’s not Emma’s fault. She just does what she is told and wears the item. I wish people would just get over it.

Anyway great article. I’m so glad that she is doing other things. I recently watched Driving Lessons and Rupert was so good. Better than in any Potter film. I think all three of them are going to be sticking around.

Avatar Image says:

I’d love to read it, but it won’t work for some reason?

Emma does seem quite unhappy, I’ve been thinking that for a while just be recent interviews, maybe she’s still not over the breakup with her boyfriend. She really does seem to like being around her friends and HP seems to have taken that away to an extent.

I think Dan will be the one that will disappear, he hasn’t got the interest and devoted fans like Rupert & Emma.

It is strange if she says she doesn’t like publicity but goes to fashion shows, mind you, it’s all publicity for Ballet Shoes and if she’s been signed as their model, she has to I suppose and the money can’t be bad either.

Don’t worry Emma, only one more film to go and then you’re free.

Avatar Image says:

First off, I don’t think Dan will be the one to disappear…he’s got the most acting experience of the three, both in movies (December Boys) and plays (Equus) that have received good reviews.

Second, remember that Emma’s kind of just “getting into” acting…this is the person that was rumored to be out of the Potter movies twice before. Yes, she will be famous for life as Hermione, and it’s a problem many actors have faced (look at Star Trek actors, even the Star Wars actors…how many folks know Mark Hamill for his myriad voicework in cartoons over him being Luke Skywalker? I didn’t know he did the Joker’s voice in the Batman series until way later!) I do applaud that she has a backup plan…who knows, we could see her quietly fade out of acting for a few years, and then come back.

As to hating her because she wore pink as Hermione, or she has the different hairstyles? First, those are director/producer decisions as much as actor decisions. I recall they did get to choose some of their own clothes for POA, but I’d think someone would have overriding say. Plus, do we see Dan wearing ultra-baggy clothes as Harry when he’s in the summer/start of the year, no. Do the Weasleys look like their clothes are hurting for money, not always.

Remember this is a movie interpretation of the book, and especially since COS is not 100% faithful to the book, mainly for time constraints. (I still think they should’ve made GOF and OOTP three hours…OOTP ended up being the shortest, and I could see HBP being shorter if they chop down the pensieve scenes.) Also remember there are many people whose only exposure to the Potterverse is the movies, so they don’t know these nitpicking details, or who ends up with whom.

I know no one here can answer this, but maybe you have a friend. Something I’ve been curious about, but as you watch the movies, does anyone else think they have much more of a Harry/Hermione ship bias? I’m not trying to start a ship war, but serious consideration. Given that Ginny wasn’t a featured player until OOTP (in COS she was either a lump or not very active on camera), her little looks at Harry when he stayed behind with Cho or she was mentioned are the first indicator of her feelings (other than the Burrow COS scene, which could also be looked at as “strange boy seeing me in my jammies!”) Next movie may comes as a shock to those who don’t know the books, but they’ll probably clear it up there (since we see Harry and Ginny almost kissing in some early HBP scenes).

Side note, as a H/Hr fan: I want the Evil!Harry and Evil!Hermione make out scene in the DH movie. Give the other side some love, you guys are gonna get your H/G and R/Hr kisses! ;)

Avatar Image says:

Awwwwww. After reading the interview, I feel really sorry for her. I mean now that I think about it, that HAS to be really hard to live your life in the spotlight and not be able to go out to public places with your friends. That’s really got to suck for her and for Dan and Rupert.

I mean most teenagers her age are seniors in high school and they go out and party with their friends and get drunk and make mistakes and then learn from them. But Emma can’t do that because if she makes a mistake or gets drunk then it ends up on the front page of “People” magazine or “The Sun.” And that doesn’t apply only to the trio, that applies to all child stars. I mean your social life has to be so limited that you basically end up skipping your childhood/teen years and going straight to young adult.

But they all handle it well and there are perks. I mean I wish Chanel would send me clothes for free.

Avatar Image says:

@FraA: Okay, you’re exactly like the people Emma was talking about in the article. You’re talking like you actually KNOW her and that you actually have a legitimate reason to say that stuff when in actuality you don’t. So stop being jealous. I mean seriously, there isn’t one negative thing about that girl that we see. She’s obviously a very nice, intelligent, sophisticated, and gorgeous. I mean seriously what else do you want??

Emma as Hermione Granger equals perfection. She portrays Hermione exactly like she is in the books and it’s not like the color of the clothes Hermione is wearing is ever mentioned in the books in the first place. So why the hell does it matter??? I mean seriously, Ron is supposed to be poor and they dress him better than they dress Harry in the movies, but I really don’t give a damn because it’s the acting that matters! ANd it’s not like they put Hermione in a miniskirt and tube top!!! She had on a freakin’ PINK hoodie and JEANS! So what?! I know plenty of smart people who wear hoodies in every freakin’ color!

And even if you do have a problem with the way they dress Hermione in the movies, then you should be taking that out on the wardrobe people! NOt Emma! she doesn’t pick the clothes or do her own hair in the movies! the makeup and wardrobe people decide that!

Avatar Image says:

Actually they do mention the colour of her bathrobe in book 1. It’s pink.

Who cares about the colour of the clothing? It’s so unimportant compared to what they end up taking out of the books or mangling Jo Rowling’s wording. Hers are so much more funnier than Kloves. Julie, seems to me it’s been Dan getting a lot more offers than Rupert. Emma doesn’t count, seeing as she’s been in school and could only take offers in her free time, which is little. Emma will be at a disadvantage as once she hits her 30s and up, she’ll probably only get mommy roles like the majority of actresses. As a beautiful ingenue or young actress, she’ll be of course getting tons of offers. Dan has a huge fanbase which is obvious when you remember he won that NMA for favourite or best actor. He beat out ALL those other actors including Johnny Depp and that James Bond actor . Kenneth Branagh was the one trying to work a play out with Dan for years, so who knows, maybe we’ll yet see the two together elsewhere crosses fingers .

Avatar Image says:

Note to Ken M, oh yeah, they had better not take out that evil h/hr kiss! The screen will be burning up. It’s a pity that they couldn’t take more advantage of Dan and Emma’s chemistry. I agree that the h/g thing was always so slow and miniscule that people have had trouble seeing it, but again it’s because Bonnie’s part/ginny’s parts were miniscule to begin with. Heck no one knew for sure until this book anyways when she wrote it in.

Avatar Image says:

Hear, hear!! Celia has it right. Emma’s wardrobe/makeup is mostly a producer/director decision, not something most actors have much of a say in.

I think Emma is about as ‘well adjusted’ to her situation as can be expected. Her interpretation of Hermione is spot on, unlike the interpretation of Dumbledore by old what’s his name…

Emma Watson is much to be admired, and I do.

OMT

ugh, she annoys me.

Avatar Image says:

‘Ear, ‘ear to Celia, KenM and Radcakesfan and Old Mr Toad!

I was just thinking about the evil H/Hr kiss last night and saying to myself they just have to leave that in there… I applaud your comments on the chemistry between Dan and Emma, I had been saying this myself for awhile. It just always seemed that H/Hr had more substance and that the H/G was hard for me to see. Not trying to start any debates, but it would be so awesome if they left that in there. It would serve to illustrate Ron’s deepest and darkest fears, from a “furthering the plot” perspective.

Celia- I think you and I are some of the biggest Hermione/Emma fans on here! You always come to her rescue when posters rip into her. Yes her wradrobe is determined by the producers and costume designers. Furthermore, many people consider the colors pink (and red) colors of power , power and femininity. This may be a bit of a generalization, but I think for women those colors symbolize strength and cunning. So perhaps they put her in pink for a reason.

Emma plays Hermione as no one else could. I think she is a fantastic actress and I hope she has much success in her future endeavors, whatever she wants them to be. I was the first to comment up above and I too realized she did seem a bit sad when thinking about all of the normal things she has missed out on. I think this is typical in child actors; it’s a trade off. I think she realizes that though and I hope she keeps herself as grounded as she is now. Emma you rock :)

Avatar Image says:

She sounds really nervous about her new film. I’m actually a bit nervous for her as well because this role is really going to show whether she can act or not. I was not impressed with her in GOF or OOTP. I like her as a person but she just hasn’t gotten the hang of delivering lines naturally. I’m certainly not bashing her, and I really hope she did well in this film and that she continues to work hard to improve her acting so that she’s better in HBP and DH.

She has a lot of brothers and sisters, huh? That’s cool. This interview was really interesting and personal. I agree that lately she has seemed a bit down in interviews, and I think she’s feeling the full effect of the celebrity life on her personal life. I do feel pretty bad for her. I also think that it’s kind of brave for her to admit to her “drama queen” personality when she was younger. Most would like to forget their bad qualities when they were kids. I sort of suspected this type of personality back during the earlier films, but it seems like she’s growing up. It’s nice to see how the trio change as they get older.

About the Riddle!Harry and Riddle!Hermione kiss, they should keep it in, but not because it’s going to be “hot” to see Dan and Emma make-out, but because that kiss is supposed to be horrible, and emotional for RON who is the focus of the scene. I don’t really get the claim that Dan and Emma have “unbelievable” chemistry on-screen; I don’t see it. In fact I think in every scene they have together both their acting is at it’s worst. I mean look at the bridge scene in GOF, and in OOTP the common room scene after Harry’s detention, Emma was alright until she started talking to Dan about his hand, then she became over-dramatic. Plus Riddle!Harry and Riddle!Hermione are smoky figures and most of it will probably be cgi, they might not even have to kiss at all.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t mean to sound cruel, but I still can’t feel sorry for Emma, no matter how melancholy she sounded. Come on, there are people out there who would kill to be in her shoes. And paparazzi come with the turf, as I’m sure her parents, who seem very sensible, warned her about early on. Besides, the intensity of paparazzi-stalking fluctuates all the time, it’s not like they follow her everywhere and all the time. Where’s that fabled English stiff upper lip, Emma? LOL Ahhh, she is still so, so young, and that’s what’s absolutely endearing about her. :)

Well said T_D_O, about the Riddle! Harry/Hermione kiss! The focus of it should be on Ron (if they’re going to do justice to the book, that is).

Avatar Image says:

Why are people talking about Hermione’s wardrobe. Honestly, some people must have the reading IQ of a twelve yr old. I don’t think Emma is whining. She just talks about the ups and downs of being a celeb. For some reason it seems the paparrazzi are starting to harrass her a lot. The radio times has an article that said she was harrassed while filming Ballet Shoes. it’s got to suck. Yes, it has it up sides, clothes, meeting great actors, but I imagine for a teenage girl that not being able to go get a coffee with friends because she gets mobbed is hard. I’m glad she’s continueing with her education, not sitting back on her money and not progressing or improving herself. She’s a great kid- sorry- young woman.

Avatar Image says:

LOL!! I think it’s kind of funny that she recognized that she was such a drama queen as a child!! XD I couldn’t stand her just because of that!! =( She’s right, she was a bit of a show-off… :/ But I’m amazed at how much she’s matured since then!! ^^ Now I’m liking her more and more. I agree with ImHermoine, she’s so grounded!! I’m itching to see her in Ballet Shoes, but I don’t know if it’ll make it to my country… Good luck to Emma in her career!! ;)

I didn’t know she has so many stepsiblings!! O_O I remember I once wondered if her mother and father were married to other people, but I hadn’t actually thought of more children. So she’s the oldest of seven now!! =) That’s so Weasley-like!! XD

Avatar Image says:

Okay, so she says that she is sad because she missed out yada yada…but honestly, I don’t think she would trade Chanel shows for friends. So, Emma, stop complaining.

Avatar Image says:

Oh and Emma darling, there are kids and teens out there who don’t see their parents often or are unhappy about one thing or another, and they don’t have Karl to back them up. Again, stop complaining.

Avatar Image says:

She isn’t complaining; she was just being honest. It is the interviewer who is being down in the dumps about Emma’s life, which IMO is slightly condescending towards her. And be real who on earth would rather have Chanel, than friends? Anyway Emma isn’t saying she has no friends, just that she is not free to do whatever she likes because she has to be mindful about being mobbed.

Avatar Image says:

i dont understand why people keep criticizing her or dissing her. i like all three equally as i like the rest of the cast (not mentioning gambon….b/c he has earned my dislike on every level) and i think they’re all doing their best. Emma’s interpretation of Hermione is right on, i never imagined her any other way.

as for her dressing up, get over it people, is there NOTHING else you can complain about? i mean either its the dress, or the hair, or the shoes, the accent, this that..and when they ask them honest opinions about things, whatever they say, some of you just sit there and complain.

if she said ‘oh i’m really going to pursue acting’ then you’d say ‘oh look shes not even good at it, & she thinks shes somebody’. if she said ‘oh i’m so happy with everything’, then you’d say ‘and u better be. it cost me over $10 to come watch your crappy acting’. now that she says she has plans you go on about how ‘she is so full of herself’. if she said she had no plans then you’d go on about how ‘she’s trying to pull off the loner look to get more publicity’.

why cant you just not complain? the only conclusion i can reach is that you either have alot of issues in your own life and seeing someone better than yourself annoys you or else you are just in general a negative person.

face-

It is incredible to me how mean you are being. Yes, there are people out there with WAY less than she has, who would give anything to be her…But does that mean she should LIE about how she feels? I don’t think she ever said, “Man, I have it worse than anyone else out there!” She was just saying, reasonably, that you miss out on some stuff being a celebrity. I’m sorry, but the way you were saying it was very obnoxious.

Avatar Image says:

But there’s something I don’t know if I should believe or not… She says that the most expensive thing she has ever bought is a laptop, but it has to be a very expensive laptop is it’s more expensive than those Chanel dresses she wears in public events!! XD I have no idea of the price of a Chanel dress, though!! Maybe they are cheaper than I think. Once she wore a Chanel ring with diamonds and a pearl, and that has to be very expensive!! O_O She looked so pretty in her last public appearances!! I didn’t like her style some years ago, but I have to recognize that she’s more and more sophisticated as time goes by!! ^^

Avatar Image says:

i enjoyed reading the interview, though it think it was written in a pretty negative way. i don’t think she was complaining, she was just telling it like it is. they could have included those quotes but written it so it wasn’t so downcast. and people, you need to quit jumping on emma’s back! i do love emma and think she acts very well, but even if you don’t you don’t need to say she’s horrible just because she’s worn pink!

Avatar Image says:

@Bonnie Radcliffe- i think sometimes with celebrities they get to wear designer clothes for free because it’s like advertising. you don’t make your model pay to wear the clothes. also she may have been talking about her most expensive buy for her personal life.

Avatar Image says:

Emma you are the woman mas pretty of the whole planet I you and loved from always even more when I saw for the first time harry potter.

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Posted by harry watson on December 19, 2007 @ 10:02 AM

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Posted by harry watson on December 19, 2007 @ 10:03 AM

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Posted by harry watson on December 19, 2007 @ 10:04 AM

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Posted by harry watson on December 19, 2007 @ 10:02 AM

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Posted by harry watson on December 19, 2007 @ 10:03 AM

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Posted by harry watson on December 19, 2007 @ 10:04 AM

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Posted by harry watson on December 19, 2007 @ 10:02 AM

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Posted by harry watson on December 19, 2007 @ 10:03 AM

Post.

I want to know you algun day and that we are friends forever.

I love you emmita.

Posted by harry watson on December 19, 2007 @ 10:04 AM

Posted by diego on December 19, 2007 @ 10:07 AM

y love you!!!

Avatar Image says:

She is pleasant enough and intelligent enough to succeed in anything she puts her mind to. Many young actresses aspire to stay on and enjoy a career in films but some venture into different fields. Would not surprise me if she ended up as a screenwriter, wardrobe person or director later on in life. Jodie Foster certainly proved that point and so did Ron Howard. Child actors survive if they have a back-up plan in the industry. I am sick of the comparissons between Hollywood vs. British, can we just agree that the parenting factor and their encouragment to go forth and give it their best shot is the way to go?

Write a Reply or Comment