J.K. Rowling Nominated as a Great Briton

105

Dec 15, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has been nominated for the Morgan Stanley Great Briton 2007 Awards. Jo is nominated in the Arts category, along with acclaimed actor Sir Ian McKellen and artist Damien Hirst. The Telegraph reports:

The judges described Rowling’s “unprecedented global reach” as phenomenal – even her official website is available in six languages.More than anything, they were impressed by the way she had managed to infect children (and adults) the world over with an enthusiasm for reading. They conceded that the form of her novels was “conventional to a tee”, but were impressed by the way she had given them a “modern, imaginative twist”.

The Great Briton awards recognise those who “contributed exceptional achievements to their field this year in a distinctly British way.” The winners will be announced at a gala dinner in London in January. Congratulations Jo!

Thanks radcakesfan!

12 Responses to J.K. Rowling Nominated as a Great Briton

Concrats Jo!!!! That’s awesome :D

Avatar Image says:

Well earned! Her reach is worldwide, and she has everybody reading!

Congratulations!

Avatar Image says:

To the best of the best, we salute you Jo.

Avatar Image says:

Is there a category for the author who has all royalties for plotholes? The previous comments sounded like PR. Paid folks you have to camouflage yourself better! Just learned today that in Russia “The Guards of Eternity” are far more popular than Harry Potter. BTW: the very british way: I thought we were over the cliché-french. Kudos Fleur!

Avatar Image says:

It is very true that Jo has produced a seires of reading matter that appeals to “millions” and that her work alone has created a universe of “eager readers”. I have never come across a more interesting set of books, we are honoured to have been able to read of a world that runs “parralel with ours” that most peple can relate to (even if it is fantacy) we see characters who have very “similar roles” in society today but in the case of “potterverse” with “constant vigilance”. Evil can be “over thown”. The books provide a clear “good way of life”, the books show us lessons to be learned although from the comments I see on here I wonfer if any of the “teachings have sunk in”. Bless you all for the Chrismas season.Flittwick.

Avatar Image says:

Yay for Jo!! :D That’s totally awesome. She’s definitely got my vote (if you vote picking Great Britons… I can’t remember if you do, but Isaac Newton didn’t get it that one time and I was annoyed. XD)

Avatar Image says:

I say well done Jo. Flittwick, I couldn’t have put it better myself regarding your comment about some of the comments on here. I think some people (secunda) have huge chips on their shoulders. When you break it down and really take a good look at what Jo has done it’s huge.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I don’t really think that I am “qualified” to be PR. PC, maybe, but never PR. Ms Rowling is a fantastic writer, and deserves recognition. She has done so much, for children and reading, in general. As a First Grade Teacher, a few years back, I found that the ‘Harry Potter’ books were not only interesting, they were causing discussion, amongst children as young as 7. Discussion about life and friendship…life lessons, all “taught” in an inimitable Rowling fashion. It takes a lot, now days, to impress a youngster. With all the electronics, they could easily LISTEN to books. I’m not talking those who are visually impaired, either. If a child is not encouraged to read, they never will. JKR has done remarkably in that area.Congratulations, in advance, JKR. She may be in the same category, with Sir Ian, but she certainly is a “cut above” as far as writers go! *>

Avatar Image says:

_Please forgive the deplorable spelling and grammar. I’m tired (no excuse…)

Congratz Jo. You deserve it you earn it,

Avatar Image says:

It’s a great honour to be shortlisted for these awards so well done Jo.

Another ‘Potter person’ Stephen Fry, the narrater of the British HP audiobooks, has been shortlisted this time in the category of ‘Creative Indiustries’ so good luck to both Jo and Stephen.

Write a Reply or Comment