John Hurt to Return as Ollivander for “Deathly Hallows”?

116

May 22, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

While promoting his new film, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, actor John Hurt has made some remarks regarding his possible return to the Harry Potter film series. UK tabloid the Sun cites John Hurt as saying it is possible he will return as the mysterious wand maker Ollivander for the film (s) of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Quotage as follows: “I didn’t spend a lot of time on the Harry Potter film but I might be spending more time there next time’ he smiled. “We’ll see.”
Readers will recall of course, Mr. Hurt made a brief but memorable appearance as Ollivander in the first Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. We are working to obtain some verification on this, and will update with more when we can.

46 Responses to John Hurt to Return as Ollivander for “Deathly Hallows”?

Avatar Image says:

I would like to see John Hurt back for Ollivander.

But it sounds like from that brief interview that Hurt doesn’t know himself, and that there probably hasn’t been much discussion about it.

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! I love that they’ve used the same actors all the way through (for the most part).

Avatar Image says:

I do hope he’s back! he was pretty close to the Ollivander in my head, and he has a pretty major role in DH!

Avatar Image says:

I too hope he returns for DH – I’m sure he would take up the role if it is offered to him because it is quite large in comparison the one from PS. I really hope WB continue with the original actors because it brings such a unity to all the 8 films!

Avatar Image says:

If it was only going to be one movie I would say he shouldn’t appear, it would be unneeded considering how much other material they have to cram in. However there’s definitely a place for him in this double movie spectacular!

Avatar Image says:

I hope they get him back, I loved Ollivander and Luna in the book and I love John Hurt!

Avatar Image says:

OKAY!, if he doesn’t appear i will be very upset because “the malfoy manor” was one of my fav. parts!

Avatar Image says:

well, they can’t cut Ollivander out…so I would like to see John Hurt again. it would be stupid that in DH we see different Ollivander.

Avatar Image says:

I hope this turns out to be true, he IS Ollivander in my mind and would be great to have back!!

Avatar Image says:

I do hope that John Hurt returns as Ollivander!! =D I really liked his performance on the first film, and I can’t imagine anyone else playing this character now.. So, it would be great to see him again!!!

He better had be in it!

Avatar Image says:

Well he will be at the London Film and Comin Con in July so I will ask him then if there isn’t any other word by then.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I hope he is! He was wonderful in the first movie. He really pulled off the personality so that you understand why Harry wasn’t quite sure if he liked him or not.

Avatar Image says:

keep in mind that report from the HBP set said Ollivnder’s shop had broken glass and was borded up so it looks like they’re travelling down the path to have Ollivander in the story again- could be kind of difficult without him, I doubt they could shuve Hermione in to save the day and talk about her endless knowledge of wands or whatever (with Kloves though who knows)

Avatar Image says:

I reaaly do hope that John Hurt returns at Olivander as to me and many many others he is olivander, he perfectly fits how i saw Olivander in the books, as for his pert in DH it is a small yet critical part, he gives harry the Information on wands that is vital to his defeat of Voldemort at the battle of hogwarts, Information that Voldemort lacks or under estimates and thus ignores . so i feel even if it had been just 1 moive for DH he should be in

Avatar Image says:

Wandlore is such a HUGE part of DH, I can’t imagine not including Olivander. John Hurt played Olivander exceptionally well, so I do hope they bring him back.

Avatar Image says:

John Hurt was so wonderfully creepy in Sorcerer’s Stone, it was great. I really hope he comes back

PLEASE

YOU WERE PREFECT LAST TIME!

Avatar Image says:

The Sun isn’t the same that “imagined” an entire interview with Rupert where he was supposed to talk about Lavender ??

Oh yes it was!!

Such a reliable source

Avatar Image says:

I have little faith in stories published by this rag, but I sooooo hope we get to see John Hurt in DH!

Oh, he’d better return!

Avatar Image says:

He better play Olivander. Hurt was really good and if they cut out Olivander from the movie I will be pissed! No wedding, no Tonks and Lupin moments! I can’t handle too much more! WB does a great job, though. I hope Olivander and Dobby are in the movie!

Avatar Image says:

I would love to see him back as Olivander. In fact if every great actor and actress in the UK wanted to show up for the Battle for Hogwarts I would be thrilled!!!

Avatar Image says:

Assuming he hasnt actually read DH, perhaps the WB has informed him of the possibility and thats how he knows hes in it.

Avatar Image says:

That would be cool to see Mr. Hurt back in that role.

Avatar Image says:

he has to come back… the moment he has with Luna is one of the bittersweet moments for me… if it wasn’t for her personality and her hope I think ollivander would have lost the will to go on.

I hope they keep that in.

Avatar Image says:

John Hurt ( why not Sir John Hurt by now?)is one of the handful out of the cast who fits my mind’s eye while I read and yes, reread the books. If they leave him out it would be right up there with their cutting out the hospital wing scene in HBP. I don’t know how they can say they don’t make all their decisions based on profit when they are making two movies for DH without adhering to the books for six films. Two movies of plot made from compounding corruption of canon and they say they are doing it to be more true to the books. I’m not so easily confunded as John Dawlish. I will enjoy the last three films on the opening day/night and then my son and I will spew ( small letters) our frustration over what was left out or hacked. That’s what Harry Potter book fans do. We support the fandom at the theater and then complain over a butterbeer later. Some day when I am as old as Ollivander the BBC will make a 28 part series true to the books and then I can go to my own King’s Cross Station in peace. By then Dan can play Dumbledore.

Avatar Image says:

“I could manure my garden with the contents of that rag”—rita skiter describing the quibbler and taylor describing “the sun”. i highly doubts that this article is real, but who cares. john hurt dude, who ever he is, was brillant in the first film. he is really one of the most perfectly cast is looks for HP. viv ce

Avatar Image says:

Ollivander is in the “plot outline” for DH 2 (this is not a script: not even an early working draft in progress incomplete variation script). There are no plans to recast the character.

Dobby’s future is bleak right now :-( Kreacher looks poised to take over ALL his scenes.

Avatar Image says:

it would be so awkward if they change ollivander to someone else. i always hated when movies does that.

Avatar Image says:

Ahem Indiana Jones and the KINGDOM OF THE Crystal Skull… =) Plus I hope he’s in it! That would be great!

Avatar Image says:

If John Hurt doesn’t return as Ollivander, I will be very sad. There surely can’t be any question of Ollivander being in the DH movies? He’s key to the plot!

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic! Absolutely adore John Hurt, one of my fave actors. Be really glad to see him come back for DH.

Avatar Image says:

@metea: ”...it would be stupid that in DH we see a diffrerent Olivander”

We must think positive thoughts….it’s not that it would be stupid. The only way it would really be upsetting is if they DIDN’T use him, and he was “available” They do have quite some time to “book him”...think positive, eveyone! He is fantastic! :D

Avatar Image says:

well it makes sence to have a fine actor like john hurt to be back as olivander as the man is a legeon so count my vote.

well done john you play olivander supurb…...

Avatar Image says:

I just checked John Hurt on IMDB.com and he is rather busy. It may be a matter of finding time in his schedule to do the scenes.

1. Angel Makers (2008) (announced)
2. 44 Inch Chest (2009) (pre-production) .... Old Man Peanut
3. An Englishman in New York (2008) (TV) (pre-production) .... Quentin Crisp
4. No One Gets Off in This Town (2008) (pre-production)
5. The Limits of Control (2009) (post-production)
6. Outlander (2008) (post-production) .... Rothgar
7. Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) (post-production) .... Trevor 'Broom' Bruttenholm
8. New York, I Love You (2008) (post-production) .... Waiter
Avatar Image says:

I too would love to see him come back- the majorety of the characters have been played by the same people- the only ones that have gotten casted twice or thrice are the ones like Pansy and Katie Bell, basically backgrounders. But the prominent ones have all been the same- we couldnt help that Richard Harris passed away. Thats why I hope all the ones who will be included that have been casted before will come back. We dont know if there is or is not going to be a wedding of Tonks and Lupin? I think it sounds like its heading in that direction. But no one has confirmed that there wont be one have they? Oh yah, I dont care how “old” Alan is he has to be Snape till the very end- to me he isnt even old. Age is but a number.

Avatar Image says:

| |, thanks for the info about John Hurt. Nice to see that they’re not looking to recasting Ollivander’s role.

But at the same time, I’m saddened that they’re looking at just placing Kreacher in Dobby’s place during pre-production. Story-wise, it doesn’t make sense (maybe monetarily, since ILM would only have to do one house-elf and not two) and since they’re making TWO films, they should try to make the movies as canon as possible to satisfy more fans.

EE!! This is exciting! I love John Hurt. Have you seen him in 1984 :P

Hehe..oh man, I cannot wait. This will be the highlight of the movie…

Maybe… >.< Can’t wait for Snape and his doe.

Avatar Image says:

Does the plot outline include who will be getting married and where the wedding will be held? Just curious…

Avatar Image says:

I really do hope that John Hurt returns at Olivander as to me and many many others he is olivander, he perfectly fits how i saw Olivander in the books”

Agreed totally!

Avatar Image says:

I hope he returns!!!!! He is a great actor and he was a perfect Ollivander. Malfoy’s manor is one of my favorite parts in the Deathy Hallows

Avatar Image says:

this is great id love to see him back DH he is a great actor and is made for the part.

Avatar Image says:

I hope he returns. I love that scene with Daniel and John in the first HP movie. It’s one of my favorite scenes of all the HP movies, and one of the most memorables moments. It would be soooo special to see them doing another scene together as Harry and Ollivander, after almost 10 years. I would love to see them filming the scene where Ollivander is in the bed, after being rescued, and Harry comes, talks to him and ask him about the Eldest wand.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope that he comes back to play that part. I really like him playing Oliver. Also I enjoy that they keep the same characters mostly through the movies.

Avatar Imagegust2vo says: RdZ mais "FOFO" esse?

Write a Reply or Comment