J.K. Rowling Updates Site on New Prequel Material

108

May 29, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Author J.K. Rowling is doing some updating this morning on her website, with a news entry on the upcoming charity auction featuring that special 800 word prequel to the Harry Potter series. Of note is the fact Jo says the story on the prequel card takes place 3 years before Harry was born. Full quotage is as follows:

“A few months ago a number of authors were invited to handwrite cards for auction by Waterstones, on June 10, all proceeds to go to English PEN, the writers’ association, and the Dyslexia Society.

After playing around with a number of different ideas I decided to write a short (for me!) excerpt from a prequel to the Potter series. It is about 800 words long and the action takes place around 3 years before Harry is born.

Although I did feel a bit like a relapsing addict as I sat down to write – the words poured from my pen with frightening ease – I am NOT working on a prequel. Indeed, I’ve written that clearly at the bottom of the card itself. I just thought that this was the best way to make money for two extremely worthwhile charities.

The good news for Potter fans who will not be able to bid at the auction is that you will be able to read the short story (along with amazing contributions from Doris Lessing, Margaret Atwood, Tom Stoppard, Irvine Welsh, Sebastian Faulks, Axel Scheffler, Lauren Child, Nick Hornby, Neil Gaiman, Lisa Appignanesi, Richard Ford, and Michael Rosen) by purchasing a book of facsimiles, which will be available in August. The proceeds from this book, too, will go to the charities.”

As reported below, this new 800 word Harry Potter prequel will involves James Potter and Sirius Black.

116 Responses to J.K. Rowling Updates Site on New Prequel Material

Avatar Image says:

ooooooohhhhhhh…. can’t wait to read it….....!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow I’m so excited! Also JK Rowling has done two Harry Potter related writings now, and it’s not even been a year since Deathly Hallows came out!!! I think this bodes well for the future.

Avatar Image says:

Jo is so entertaining, even with her “news”. Can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

SOOOOO excited to read this prequel thing!!! :D i wish jo was writing a full prequel! imagine how amazing that would be!

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I’m excited that we can own this one. I hope she releases Tales of Beedle the Bard one day for charity, too!

Amazing ….just amazing….

Avatar Image says:

Yea! We will get to have it!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh my God! Dreams are becoming real-at least in part-! So happy! Thank you TLC for letting us know!

Avatar Image says:

I always love going to her website. The background noises get me all excited.

I’m a strange person xDD

Avatar Image says:

The words just poured from her pen? I thought The Lawsuit had sapped her will to ever write again sob

Eh, I think I’ll pass. She said the story would be complete after DH. So why does she keep coming back to it?

Avatar Image says:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG! YESSSSSSSSS! JAMES AND SIRIUS! I CANNOT WAIT!

In conclusion, I am quite excited. And extremely glad that this will be made available to the public.

I love J.K. Rowling, roll on August

Avatar Image says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to read it!!

I LOVE JO!

Avatar Image says:

I hope Waterstones prints a lot of the facsimilies! They could have a best seller on their hands. I want to buy a copy!

Avatar Image says:

In August?!? FANTASTIC!!!!! I CAN’T WAIT!!! 2 MONTHS!!!! YA HOO!!!!

OKAY! Warner Bros! Get on the stick … 2012? :-)

Avatar Image says:

yay i love the marauders! i cant wait for it to come out even if its only 800 words.

Avatar Image says:

And the hits just keep “Rowing” on! [LOL]! This is fandamtastic! Jo, you are one remarkable lady! I want my copy! Said in a ‘Hammy’ way. [‘Over The Hedge’] I’m “over the moon”!

Avatar Image says:

OOPS! Sorry! I mis-read. At in my excitment and at first glance I thought I saw 800 PAGES not words. :-( But hey I’ll be very happy with anything I can get!

HMMM, that is an idea …. What about a 800 PAGE prequel? ... I know Warner Bros and Millions of fans worldwide would be interested! PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE JO?

Avatar Image says:

TO JKR, if you ever read this,i don’t mean to be rude, but PLEASE PLEASE! JUST WRITE A PREQUEL!!!! WE ARE JUST DYING TO READ MORE. Pretty please? :D

Avatar Image says:

Jo,I love you sooooooooo much. We are all addicts! and thank God for that. and to you.can’t wait for the new books,anything…as long as its yours!

Avatar Image says:

What’s good is that we’ll be able to read it… But I wouldn’t want her to publish a prequel…

Avatar Image says:

This is sooooo cool. Can’t wait to read the story.

Lots of Potter news today…I’m all a glow :-)

Avatar Image says:

One things for sure, the English PEN and the Dyslexia Society are going to benefit enormously from this! I mean surely, most Harry Potter fans all over the world are going to purchase these. Quiddich through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts made so much for charity (obviously sales are no where near the actually novels) but they are still being sold. This I am sure will be the same, if not more. And personally, i just cant wait for it, very exciting news.

This reminds me of Phil Pullman’s Lyra’s World, a very small short story set shortly after the Dark Materials trilogy. It was a hard back book with lovely illustrations and a fold out map. I think this was for charity too.

Harry Potter Prequel!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

This is awesome. So glad that we are going to able to read this.

Avatar Image says:

kbnthomas stop being a mean-spirited sour posse. people make mistakes, that doesn’t make them bad and can change their minds- we are not set in stone.

so don’t ruin the good mood for eveyone else.

I’m soooooooooooooo excited for this story will be interesting

Avatar Image says:

J.K. Rowling is evil. She can’t tease me with a story about Sirius and then not write it!

Avatar Image says:

Leaky, please let us know when the copies are avaiable to buy!

Avatar Image says:

I am SO exited! I’m quite literally jumping up and down! :P Please JK Rowling, make it a 800 PAGE sequel! Er..prequel I mean. Anyway, this is good too..! YAY! Finally something to get exited for!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, but I can’t wait till august! I’m guessing that 800 words will probably make for 800,000 bucks or more to the auction so… YAY!

Avatar Image says:

can’t wait to read it, and i would love a full blown prequel but this great thanks Jo

Avatar Image says:

I would not be surprised to see this sell for several million pounds, maybe not as much as the talesof beedle the bard but certainly significant money, and if publishing rights went with it ( they don’t though) the value would sky rocket , they will have fun comming up with an auction estimate for this one

Avatar Image says:

Oh my goodness! I get to read about Sirius when he’s 18! Can’t wait, I’ll be snatching that book up like it was a Golden Snitch!*

Avatar Image says:

Wasn’t the prequel going to be published online on the day after the auction, on June 11th? I thought it said so in the last update?

Avatar Image says:

I love her quote about relapsing. Well hey, I relapse my way back through all seven books at least twice a year, so I understand.

If she is on the verge of relapsing, it is our solemn duty to be the world’s biggest enablers. : )

Avatar Image says:

Come on JK! Write the prequels. You know you want too…

Avatar Image says:

Come to think of it, 800 words is nothing! It’ll be over in a heartbeat. Wow.

Avatar Image says:

Oh and three years before Harry was born would make ::does math in head::

James was a four months into being 20 when Harry was born, so three years before would have made him just seventeen and in his sixth year at school. Roughly the same with Sirius. So it’s going to take place anywhere between the tail end of their sixth year and the start of their seventh!

YAY!

Avatar Image says:

Thank you Jo. for not For not forgetting about us (Fans) I must say in behalf of everyone that we do appreciate what you doing. Helping with charities and including Harry’s fans as well.

Please keep in mind that we will stick with you and Harry Potter for ever, there wont be no change of mind so please, please keep on adding your ideas on cards on candy wrap on what ever you want, as long as you happy and we are included.

Much Love Huge Fan.

Avatar Image says:

TLC, Thank You for letting us know about this. I am sorry to say that since book seven came out, and nothing new is expected, I fail to check the website on a daily basis and would have missed it until this weekend.

I know that Mrs. Rowling occasionally visits this site, and may read this, so let me add something of my own. By your own statement you have said what we all know, “the words poured from my pen with frightening ease”. You will always be the person who brought Harry and his friends to me, my children, and now my grandchildren. I hope that you will realize that since writing about the wizarding world came with ‘ease’ that perhaps this may mean you are meant to write about it again. I hope so. In any event, be happy, and may you and your family be well.

Avatar Image says:

At this point, does this qualify as Fanfic? I’m just joking. I think it is wonderful that Jo is able to use her position to do so much good in the world . . . and chooses to take advantage of that opportunity. (Bloody ‘ell)

Avatar Image says:

No really, it’s a one-shot Marauders-era genfic! :D I LOVE this woman…

Avatar Image says:

AHHH CRAP, I’M SO EXCITED! Holy freaking Merlin’s saggy left—this is AWESOME!!! : ):)

Avatar Image says:

Why can’t she pen an 8,000 word prequel on Snape? I would give up a kidney for that sort of thing.

Avatar Image says:

I think I just melted into my chair. Marauders… prequel… We actually get to read it… Oh my god. Oh my god. I think I’m overreacting. But I think that’s okay.

Avatar Image says:

Isn’t this just crazy but I’d give anything to read more Harry Potter Books!!

Avatar Image says:

Ohhh cool. I have to get it! The charities definitely got some great other authors too – Niel Gaiman ftw! And now they’re going to raise loads of money with JKR! XD

Awesome sauce! Can’t wait for it!

Avatar Image says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HOORAH! HOORAH! HOORAH! I WILL BUY IT! =D But only 800 words?! Ahh well, better than nothing! =]

YES YES YES YES YES!!!

i feel so happy right now it feels as if my chest will burst!! YAY!!!

Live, Love,Harry Potter!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH JO!!!

Avatar Image says:

I just did a word count of page 2 comments (by copy and pasting to Microsoft word) and it comes to 807 words. S if you read page 2 comments, that will give you an idea of how long the prequel mini story is! Sob. If only Waterstones gave the authors a much bigger card to write on!!

Avatar Image says:

CANON WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS SHOEBOX.

Huzzah!

Avatar Image says:

How odd lol, I started writing a prequel a few months ago…

That’s not fully updated as I got alot of my facts wrong, but still.. Pretty cool

Merlins Pants!!

That is sooo awesome… the whole collection sounds amazing Gaiman is absolutely brilliant too (love Sandman), but a prequel, I know she says “the prequel that I am not writing” i just so hope that she is being ironic and we get a prequel. I just get that feeling that if she just goes and writes thats what she will produce and we would all just love her so much for it…Go on Jo fill in the backstory for us…

lol KC.

THERE WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH COMMA LOVE IN 800 WORDS.

Avatar Image says:

This is AMAZING!!! Can’t wait. Just when i started to get upset about no more hp

Avatar Image says:

Love love love love LOVE love LOOOOVVEEEEh!

Avatar Image says:

You rock Jo!!!!! Write on!!

Avatar Image says:

You know, I went to the Waterstones website and clicked on ‘pre-order’, but nothing happens. Anyone already pre-ordered it? I don’t know what I’m doing wrong- unless it’s cos I’m not a UK resident?

Avatar Image says:

Whoopsie, it did react- I had already pre-ordered it four times, ahem, just didn’t see…

Avatar Image says:

it sounds great but i was hoping that it was a 800 page book instead of 800 word book because i fell that there could be alot of explainning about voldamort uprising and the death of the potters.

Avatar Image says:

I’m excited to read it! I wonder if it will be available in the US or if we have to order it from Waterstone’s and pay overseas shipping?

Here is the Waterstone’s site where you can read all about exactly what they are doing.

It seems these stories are all pretty short and have to fit on a “story card.” and seems to be a totally exclusive Waterstone’s project.

Leaky, please let us know if we can purchase this in the US!

Avatar Image says:

Oh my….....I tried to preorder it too…thought nothing was happening, then discovered the shopping basket and had 7 of them in there. DUH!!

Avatar Image says:

Funny thing, kbnthomas keeps implying that JKR is such a mean bitch (sob), and that meh s/he’s over HP, and s/he’ll pass, blah blah blah, and yet s/he keeps coming back here and commenting…

Avatar Image says:

Yea!! Thanks for posting guys, I am going to go pre-order write now…

Loves to Jo

Avatar Image says:

wow! i was hoping something like this would finally happen!! Thanks Jo! Waiting for the release….... :)

AWSOME!! I don’t care how long it is I just can’t wait!!! =]

Avatar Image says:

this is really neat, i cannot wait. its funny how j.k.rowling keeps saying she’s not going to write another potter book, but im sure in the end the fans will get to her and she’ll write another small one. at least that’s what im hoping. :)

Avatar Image says:

I thought she swore she wouldn’t do this. I think OS Card is right. She’s out. She’s grasping.

Avatar Image says:

Leaky and other potter fans with power should set up more charity auctions that need new Harry Potter excerpts. This seems to be the only way to get her to write. I hope we get a ton of these by the time the scottish book comes out. I would like to know if one can buy it in the U.S. or not. YEAH, some new Harry Potter Action

JKR: ” – the words poured from my pen with frightening ease -“

Indeed. Her pen is her wand, and a powerful one too. Could we call it The Elder Pen perhaps ? ;)

I wonder … if she can let go of Harry Potter forever. Maybe this burst of creativity she describes is a sign of an unconcious need she has to tell more? After a few years writing other things, maybe, just maybe, she’ll feel that the time is right to write a prequel or three to HP? Oh, I wish. Hmm… where’s that Wish Spell again… :)

Avatar Image says:

more words about James and Sirius? wonderful.

those are other great authors with Jo on the book. we get to buy and enjoy their stories and at the same time give to charities, too.

Avatar Image says:

Is it true that it involves the school life of James and Sirius.Can’t wait.It’s soooooooo exciting.

Avatar Image says:

Ah there are so many marauder fanfics out there! Possibly she has just stolen the 800 words from one of her gifted fans like she has copied the prince´s tale out of a fanific i read month before DH came out.

Avatar Image says:

this is the best birthday present ever

Posted by Tripster on May 29, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

You know i find many faults with Jo, but here well I got more and more the impression that 1. there are many fans who just decide jo is not out so she is not.

2. she was asked to write something and I know that a story you carried around with you for so long just doesn´t leave you because you promised it. Anyway, maybe she thinks with something new she can´t raise much for charity. (what would be definitly wrong-in fact i dislike james and sirius and not particularly eager to read about them)

Avatar Image says:

Thank you secunda – There’s not many comments here that have me laughing out loud but JKR ‘stealing’ fanfic managed it. Well done!

Avatar Image says:

Absolutely FANTASTIC!! This’ll be around the seventh year of James and Sirius, or just after their seventh year! I am already melting in my seat!! Love you Jo!!

Avatar Image says:

secunda, if you’re so disinterested in the book and in Jo, why make the effort of coming to Leaky and commenting on such news articles? I’m sorry, but I just don’t see the point in such useless endeavours.

Avatar Image says:

ohhhhhhhhhhhh i cannnnnnnnnnnnnn’tttttttttttt waittttttttttttttttt !!! xD

dies

Avatar Image says:

I love the idea of a prequel , am very glad Jo wrote this for charity and hope they make pookoos of monies for the charities. I would also love to read it but am wondering if it will ever be avalible for the rest of the public….who do not own it….to be able to read it…or just that person who makes the final bit for the purchase of it.That would be very sad.When Beetle the Bard was purchased for charity only a few have gotten the chance to read it and it could be years…if at all…..for it to be avalible…...it would be so lovely were we able to read that as well…..but I’m not thinking it will happen in my lifetime. Sadly.

LOL FrizzyHermione!! :-D

Avatar Image says:

Secunda can you link me to the “Prince’s Tale” fanfic? Thanks :)

Avatar Image says:

I am very happy for this 800 word prequel snip. I love it when she does these things for charity, that way she impacts the charity itself by giving them so many more sales just from her fandom alone.

People, Jo has already said she’s not writing a prequel… Just be happy with what we’re getting and don’t hound the woman! ;)

Avatar Image says:

Ha, ha, I first also thought it was a 800 PAGE prequel. Wishful thinking I guess. :)

Well, not exactly the ‘prequel’ stuff. I personally am generally not much a fan of prequels, be it Star Wars, Star Trek, HP. I am excited and curious to read this 800 WORDS story about James and Sirius however, and I’m grateful JKR contributed to this charity and thus gives us something new from our beloved HP world.

But this gives me an idea…. hm, Ms Rowling, you’re fortunately clearly not done with the HP world.. why not write a compilation of short stories as a sequel to HP which depicts moments in time of our heros? Harry and Ginny of course, Ron and Hermione of course, but also Luna (maybe how she met Rolf the first time, could be quite funny), Neville’s first lesson as a Hogwarts teacher, how George copes with Fred’s death… OH, I have so many ideas, I just hoped I was JKR. But I’m not. I’m just a greedy fan who can’t get enough.

So for now: Thank you Jo! And may this raise lots of money for the good cause.

Avatar Image says:

Have to admit- was very bummed to find out about another book/story for Charity. Nothing against charity..is much needed everywhere,but we, the fans,hunger for more HP AND would gladly contribute for any worthy cause. So, was thrilled to read that a prequel story would show up in August! (For the masses) and this will bring in much money for good causes. Just a thought..it must be kind of hard to write a best-selling series,sold the world over,raised almost a generation of readers in a wonderful world, and still they clammer for more!! Well, Ms.Rowling..you did it-it’s all your fault!! LOL!! Even if you never touched a pen-to-paper again we would say Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!

Avatar Image says:

Poor Jo – prequel denial, scribbled on notes and napkins, stuffed in drawers and closets, hidden in the attic and floppy discs. Someone should just say to her, it’s fine to have Prequel denial – we all suffer from it. So what if her pen dashes out exciting words, that lead to sentences, that consume her coffee creative time. I am sure the Jo house is very familiar with their Mother when she comes home having that sort of guilty look on her face, saying to her family, oh, well, you know how it is, I was just jotting down some more ideas” but they would notice that these ideas go into the locked safe, that is behind the fat lady portrait.

Oh, Prequel Denial… Jo, it’s OK! That is part of the enjoyment of writing – knowing more of the story than your readers do.

Avatar Image says:

I just find it a bit sad that James Potter and Sirius Black seem to be the ones most regarded – both by Rowling and by fans. To me both Sirius and James were nothing more than some fortunate upper class snobs who didn’t give a damn about other people’s sufferings – they bullied Snape although they very well knew that Severus was vulnerable because of his lower class status !

I expected a bit more sympathy from Rowling for Snape – and a bit more tribute. Enough sad about about the fortunate ones !! I had hoped for a prequel about the less privileged souls in “Harry Potter”, I am disappointed.

@ siena

I think that, in the books, Jo made us like Remus and Snape the most. Remus is the most gentle of the Marauders, and Snape because of his love for Lily. I also see Sirius and James as the bigger snobs, but maybe that’s a good reason to show us something extra, so we realize that, at the end of their school period, they did change. Because we haven’t seen anything that could make Lily fall in love with James, but there must have been a lot there that we just haven’t been shown yet. So to me it seems like a good idea to show the James and Sirius after they changed their snobbist ways and realized they needed to grow up.

Avatar Image says:

this is amazing cant wait to read it :):):):):):)

Avatar Image says:

When is the book coming out? I can’t wait to read it! Now, if only she would write a more stisfyig epilogue…

Avatar Image says:

oh my gosh if thisprequel ruins the shoebox project, i shall cry. forever.

Avatar Image says:

Commenting after turning in her book report called, “This is not a Prequel” Jo, was vexed in which one to turn in? She could turn in the one that had all the scribbles and crossed out parts. Then there was the one with the drawings which she knew would get a lesser grading. She finally turned in one of her drafts – but secretly has a stash of papers that Doby, her house elf agreed to complete secrecy. to store away because Doby was supposed to help Jo word count and Doby just thinks words that mean something count and not that a word counts as a word.

Avatar Image says:

I know! The Shoebox Project is in danger! Oh noes!

haha. It’s so funny I care about that thing more than do about this prequel. It’s totally like the roots of my fandom history!

Avatar Image says:

Why was my comment removed?....I didn’t say anything bad about anyone> Just curious ,thanks.

Avatar Image says:

wow… and this series is supposed to be over…

HEY! i’m in NO WAY complaining, i LOVED the ened of the seies, i even got the whole series for christmas for a collection, those books were awesome and i’m GLAD she’s still writting… if she made more books i’d be in line for a copy!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, Helyx Helyx , yourr messages are so cryptic. I hope you are not attempting humor.

Avatar Image says:

800 words are good, especially when they include James and Sirius. 800 pages would thrill me to pieces. : ) Fingers crossed that JK keeps writing. Maybe another short story next year… Will this be included in the Scottish Book or are they going to be sold separately?

Avatar Image says:

Please Jo, don’t feel like a relapsing addict ! There is an entire universe with years of stories in your head that have never been written. They should come out !

For example, I always wanted to know what happened when Snape went to see DD and decided to change sides. I am so happy I got to read that in book 7! I knew it existed somewhere in your head, that this moment was imagined in detail. How many great stories like that are still unknown? We would LOVE to read them!

And if you are an addict, well, just join the club of your millions of readers. It is not a destructive addiction, just a very pleasurable one. So, what is the bad side of that?

Avatar Image says:

THAT IS SO COOL!!! Oh wow!! Can’t wait to read!!!! Sirius and James!!! I wonder if Lily will be present too? Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you J.K!!!!

Avatar Image says:

haha oops!! I don’t even know how that posted twice…. Maybe I’m just that excited. Actually there’s no maybe about.

Avatar Image says:

yeah I pretty much just had a heart attack JAMES AND SIRIUS ARE LIKE THE COOLEST CHARACTERS EVERRRRRRR =D I wanna marry Jo

Avatar Image says:

OH MY GOD!!!! The Prequel!!!! I just died of happiness even if it’s only 800 words long.

Avatar Image says:

I personally think Warner Brothers would be Brilliant if they had Jo have her own special Chat with Jo, featuring the Actors in their Character parts from Harry Potter, reacting as if she was a writer for the Daily Prophet.

She could write the script so her characters could “reveal” certain parts of their background during the interview. This could be quite – a bit of fun – as well for our Prequel Denial favorite!

Avatar Image says:

@ EMMY thank you for your comment, you are right of course .. I shoudn’t judge the prequel before I’ve actually read it. Maybe it really does give the kind of information you mentioned, that would be great. It is true we, we don’t know much about James in his later years. Maybe you are right there as well- maybe he wasn’t really that important for Rowling after all. Thanks for pointing these things out to me!

Avatar Image says:

Can I get the loudest WOOT ever, people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet it has to do with the Order, or even the end of their school career!

Avatar Image says:

YAY… that means 2 more months of waiting, gosh, I can’t wait and will start dreaming of it. BTW, hope it’s available for sale world wide.

Avatar Image says:

wow, gooood news, I hope this will sell worldwide, as I live neither in the UK nor US.

By the way would by a nice complete book, to hear read the story of James Potters schoollife, togehter with the maruaders and Lily.

Anyway too much to hope to come ture.

Avatar Image says:

Hi Matt: Check out this info on an 800-word Harry Potter prequel that Jo wrote for a charity.

Love, Deb

Avatar Image says:

I’ll buy that book, especially if it’s for charity AND it contains CANON writing of pre-HP James and Sirius. 800 words… not long, but definitely nothing to complain about! I can NOT wait! You’d better believe I’ll be one of those buying it the day it comes out nods.

Avatar Image says:

I love the Harry Potter books. I’m reading them for the 30th time. I’m a mum of two teenagers and I’m 42. Why did Voldie want to kill James and Harry in the 1st place? And how did James and Lily thrice defy Voldie? Were these questions answered or did I miss something? Thankyou for your time.

Avatar Image says: lavidjioAvatar Image says: Avatar Image says: