What if it was HP?

Jul 25, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

Hi everyone:

I am here at Comic Con, an event that makes Harry Potter conferences look like garden parties. Yesterday I fought and scraped to get into the Twilight panel, and my ears are still ringing.

Now, this is mostly fellow blogger Candace’s territory, so I won’t talk about Twilight often; plus which, while I’m a fan of the series I’m not a FAN OF THE SERIES so I don’t have as much to say. Still, I saw this panel….

Let me say up front that the movie looks amazing. Stephenie has said that she saw the story first as a movie, and I agree with her: I think it’s naturally cinematic, and that the footage we’ve seen is looking perfect. They showed almost the whole scene at the end of the first book, and I found myself even more tense and geared up than I was when I read the book.

Now, I’ll say again: The panel consisted of the director of the first movie, Catherine Hardwicke; the six major actors (who play Edward, Bella, James, Victoria, Laurent, and Jacob), and Stephenie Meyer, author of the series. The final book in the Twilight series comes out in about a week.

The place was in an uproar; I honestly don’t think Lucas could get this kind of reaction here if he brought James Earl Jones out in a Darth suit. It was hilarious, right before the panel, watching the place empty of men as if someone had opened the drain and let only testosterone out. And the screams – well, I think dogs are still reeling.

Now, you fully understand who was on the panel, right? The panel consisted of the director of the first movie, Catherine Hardwicke; the six major actors (who play Edward, Bella, James, Victoria, Laurent, and Jacob), and Stephenie Meyer, author of the series. The final book in the Twilight series comes out in about a week.

(And I’ll say now, I may be on Team Edward – yeah, I said it, mostly because I truly want Bella to become a vampire in BD – but the kid that plays Jacob is stunning.)

But this is what really got me, and how this all relates back to Harry Potter. I am NOT a fan of the big HPvsTwilight debates that go on. I think it’s silly and unnecessary, and presumes that you can’t be a fan of both series at once, or, worse, you can’t READ both series without having to choose. That’s creeeeazy talk, people. Like what you like. However, the audience questions at this panel, while from truly enthusiastic and adorable fans, were things like (honestly):

“Robert, how does it feel to be one of the most wanted men in America? BECAUSE I WANT YOU!”
“How does it feel to play superhot vampires?”
“Robert and [the guy who plays James], boxers or briefs?”

I’m not insulting these girls, I’m sure they were very sincere in their questioning, and were enthusiastic, and wonderful, and everything. And to be fair there were some good insightful questions about the film.

However, let me say one final time:

Let’s play a little game. Let’s play If This Was Harry Potter. The following scenario is completely fictional:

The place:
Comic Con 2007

The panel:
David Yates
Dan Radcliffe
Emma Watson
Rupert Grint
Bonnie Wright
Matthew Lewis
Evanna Lynch
J.K. Rowling

The date:
July 14, 2007

You tell me: What would the audience questions be about?

I don’t think anyone besides J.K. Rowling would have gotten a word in edgewise. Maybe they’d get one or two questions, but the rest would be about Snape, about plot details, about canon facts that were in dispute, about her writing process, about how she feels now that it’s done, about who was going to live or die, about THE BOOKS.

I felt bad for the Twilight fans who would have really wanted to hear about the upcoming book, because no one was ASKING. The closest we got was a question directed to Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart (Edward and Bella) about their favorite Bella/Edward moments. Thank god for the moderator, who asked the same of Stephenie Meyer, who said that her favorite Edward/Bella moment is in book four. The place went crazy. But how nice would it have been not to have hit upon that by accident? The “unsolved” era of the Twilight fandom is almost at an end, guys, take your opportunities to theorize while you can!

Trust us! We know!

34 Responses to What if it was HP?

Avatar Image says:

Instances like that, Melissa, are why I don’t find myself getting more involved in the Twilight fandom. My experiences with the hardcore Twilight fans have been nothing but terrifying. Like, passing fans, like a lot of our staff our, yeah, they’re cool, but the fans that are OMGTWILIGHT like we are OMGHARRY are mostly 12 year olds or emo kids…and they all want Edward. Or some other male. shudders ugh, I’m not sure I think that’s a wholesome environment, man… :P

GO TEAM EDWARD!

Oh I would have given anything to be there tonight! And yes, I totally get who was on the panel. I’ve seen pics of the guys playing Jacob, yeah he’s very handsome. (I’m being very polite)

Stephanie Meyers has been a very gracious author, and in that way she reminds me much of Jo. She’s very friendly and involved with her fans, which gives us (yes I am a Twilight fan in case you missed it) the feeling of being insiders in this special story we don’t always get with other authors.

Enjoy yourself, give John and Sue hugs, and please ask Stephanie if she’s on Team Edward or Team Jacob for me.

Avatar Image says:

seriously? where are our spoilers? alas

hey did you check out NECA’s booth? there are pictures online of a new potter board game. it’d be nice to have a new board game now that all the books are out since the other one only asks SS questions.

wishes she could be a comic-con, settles for wonder-con up north

Avatar Image says:

If I should up at comic-con and Jo was there and people were asking the actors questions like that (no offense to the actors at all) I think I’d get violent. :)

Anyways hope your enjoying comic-con Melissa. Would love to hear about the Harry Potter stuff at a later blog.

Avatar Image says:

Wow Melissa that is a good point! I mean it’s bizarre, isn’t it? I suppose you kind of answered it yourself – the vast majority of attendees were girls and Cedric had them howlin’ like those doggies with the rabies (woot), so… I mean Twilight a romance story first and foremost, with an awesome mythology to make the series stand out among other books like it. For me personally, the romance aspect doesn’t grip me as much as the mythology surrounding the Cullens, because quite frankly, I don’t find Edward and Bella a very enticing pairing. I suppose I’m team Jacob only because I like Jacob and I think the love story that could have been between Jacob and Bella is much more compelling – but this isn’t the place for that! I have no doubt Bella and Edward will end up together btw, I’m not de…um, never mind. :) But meh, Edward is too controlling for my liking. However I agree with you, I want to see Bella become a vampire because of all the intrigue surrounding what powers she’ll have, how she’ll get through the newborn stage etc. And I can’t believe people didn’t ask any questions like that! But I suppose it really is all about the Bella/Edward love story for a lot of people, and seeing that visualized.

Tsk, fangirls. ;) Luckily the book comes out in a week! I can wait.

And also, ITA about the HP vs. Twilight thing. Come on people, just read them both and be happy that you’re getting a lot of reading done! It’s not a war!

I’ll head on over to Candace’s blog now and read some more about this, thanks for linking it! :)

PS I hope you’ll be covering the Lost panel later today?? :D

Avatar Image says:

I definitely understand where you’re coming from. Because I was a Harry fan first, I desperately want people to argue with and theorize and pick details apart… and people always ask Stephenie the same questions. Over and over. She is such an intelligent woman, and just a doll about it. I just watched the videos today and they were hysterical – Kristen and Rob both had some serious issues attempting to formulate coherent thoughts through all of the rabid screaming. :) I’m jealous of you for getting to ComicCon! I hope to hear more about what goes on & how your panel goes! :)

Avatar Image says:

Precisely, Melissa, precisely. I’m a fan of the Twilight fan, but I’m not one of those OMGTWILIGHTEDWARDISSOHOTT! fans…and frankly, I find them a little scary. For me, the books are not about how attractive any of the characters are. Sadly, for some people that seems to be the case.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I think that HP fans would ask more about the books than Twilight fans because the Twilight books are not about the plot. At ALL. It can be seen as an attack on the series, but anyone who has read at least one of those books know it to be true.

The only pertinent questions on the fen's mind are "Will Edward and Bella be together" and "Will Bella become a vampire", and Meyer can't answer neither of them for obvious reasons. Besides, the way "Eclipse" ended is pretty much the way they want the series to end, Bella and Edward together. There was no cliffhanger, no unresolved business (except for Bella still wanting to be a vampire). It's like the guys from Mugglec-- oops, I mean IMPRINT, said: it seems too easy.
Avatar Image says:

Did you see the video of Robert Pattinson saying the screaming was like the sound you hear when they “open the gates of hell”? From what I understand the screaming wouldn’t even stop long enough for him to think so he could give people answers, and I actually feel a bit bad for him. In the same video he said he was totally not ready for that reaction and he doesn’t know what he’s going to do with six more months of that.

When asked “shouldn’t you be used to this? You were in Harry Potter” he responded “It’s a different kind of screaming.”

Avatar Image says:

Robert describes the screaming as the sound you hear when they open the gates of hell. I feel a bit bad for him, is it true they wouldn’t even stop long enough for him to think so he could answer questions? :(

Avatar Image says:

Good point. I was a little disappointed that no one asked Stephenie Meyer any questions. I thought there would be some big Breaking Dawn news coming from Comic-Con. And I totally agree about the Twilight verse Harry Potter arguments/debates. I don’t see why you have to choose. They’re both great, just in different ways! Love the blog! :)

Avatar Image says:

Ugh. Don’t remind me. This is exactly what I was thinking while reading all the Twilight Comic Con reports. If that had been Harry Potter, people would have been all “screw the actors, JK Rowling is on a panel”. And I would have been thrilled.

This was (probably) THE LAST FAN INTERVIEW with Stephenie before Breaking Dawn, the END of the series. There are so many questions just waiting to be asked. And not one of them was even mentioned.

Oh, I hurt. I think I’ll go cry now.

Avatar Image says:

What a fantastic summary of that panel Mellisa! I honestly didn’t understand the point you were trying to make until you staged the scenario with HP. What a fantastic point you make. I feel bad for that writer… but at the same time i am glad the Potter movies came after the books were so popular. Honestly, I didn’t know Twilight was a book series until very recently.

Avatar Image says:

Spot on, Melissa. I’m a lower-case fan of Twilight myself, and also a grown woman who doesn’t quite get the pubescent madness surrounding the books (not since my NKOTB fan days have my screams sounded like “the gates of hell opening.”) I think previous commenters are right about Meyer’s graciousness about it all. I think if it were Jo, she wouldn’t be able to stomach it.

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, you are totally right. I, too, am a fan of both HP and Twilight - both are completely different in my eyes and I enjoy them for different reasons. I don’t think there’s any reason why people feel they have to choose - maybe diehard fans of Potter are feeling guilty for “switching loyalties” or something, who knows.

As for the ComicCon questioning, what gives??? Even though I’m excited for the Twilight movie, it doesn’t even begin to compare to my excitement for the last book. It boggles my mind that people weren’t jumping down Stephenie’s throat to ask her questions!!! What a missed opportunity…

my thoughts exactly!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah. I read a lot of reports saying it was like a Backstreet Boys show and Twilight fans embarrassed themselves. But honestly I think it mirrors the book and the promotional stuff.

And that was exactly what I pictured. Jo on a panel with the trio just before Deathly Hallows. GROWN UP WOMAN gets to the mic “Rupert, boxer of briefs? Emma, do you know?”. What the… No, thanks.

Avatar Image says:

I think the questions aren’t asked because Twilight simply isn’t as loaded with possibilities the way Potter was. The biggest question is if Bella will become a vampire. We already know there IS a wedding scene, Stephenie has already stated that. While I could think of many questions like, how will the Denali clan be involved, what are the Volturi going to do, are there more werewolves in Alaska, etc, none of those would be answered because they have already been asked at every book signing Q&A she does. I think (and maybe I’m wrong) that Stephenie has already done more signings and interviews and Q&A’s than Jo did when we got to the days before the final Potter book release. So the foot has already come down on what she will answer, and it’s not much. Stephenie has done LOTS of talking about how she feels about the movie and the way the adaptation has been done and has been very accessible through her blogs and website about the entire process, so really, there isn’t much to ask anymore. Jo was always very quiet, or at least it seemed to me, and while she would update the website and do some cool things there, it was momentous when we would read or see an interview with her.

Just my opinions of course. While I am an enormous fan of BOTH series, I don’t feel the need to choose one over the other. There are differences in both, thank goodness, and I love them for it.

Laura

Laura

Avatar Image says:

Yea, that’s funny ‘cause I felt the testosterone drain out of me while reading this series.

Not that I didn’t enjoy it (though that second one was real tedious until Alice showed up and saved the book) but I wouldn’t expect anything different.

I’ve also been saying that this last book better have Bella either bitten properly or hit by a truck. Either way she’s got to die.

Avatar Image says:

You’ll have that “fictional” panel on Pottercast, right? You can only fool us so many times, evil Melissa!

Avatar Image says:

I was really surprised that most of the cheering, screaming, and genuine attention went to Robert Pattinson rather than AUTHOR Stephenie Meyer! I almost felt bad for her.

No doubt, Twilight has literary merits of its own, but the hype that surrounds the series still reeks of Disney’s HSM frenzy. Okay, maybe that wasn’t a fair comparison. Twilight is at least HSM in a book, with significantly more depth and maturity. In that sense, it is nothing like Harry Potter.. And it doesn’t do Meyer justice calling her the “next JK Rowling”. While JKR turned reading into popular culture, I believe Meyer made excellent reading out of pop culture, using appealing material that already relates to teenagers and those who have been. To me, this is what the overall fan base implies.

Of course, it is clear that there are many fans out there interested in the tiniest details. I’m sure there are also many say… Hannah Montana fans that write 30 chapter fan fics about their beloved characters and the universe in which they reside, yet the majority of Hannah Montana fans are probably more intrigued by Miley Cyrus and her concerts.

Like Kristen Stewart said in an interview, the only similarity between the two (HP and Twilight) is that fact that they are both extremely lucrative franchises. I do hope that the Twilight movie becomes successful because (warning – in the end – a fangirl-esque moment) I think Rob is an incredible actor and deserves a career launch.

Avatar Image says:

I was really surprised that most of the screaming, cheering, and genuine attention went to Rob Pattinson rather than AUTHOR Stephenie Meyer. I almost felt bad for her.

No doubt, Twilight has literary worth of its own. But the hype that surrounds the series reeks of Disney’s HSM frenzy. Okay, maybe that’s not a fair comparison. Twilight is at least HSM in a book, with infinitely more emotional depth and maturity. It is not like Harry Potter at all… And it doesn’t quite do Meyer justice comparing her to JK Rowling. While JK Rowling turned reading into popular culture, I believe Meyer made excellent reading out of material appealing to teenagers and those who have been.. Thus its success. Like Kristen Stewart said it herself, the biggest similarity between the two is the fact that they both are lucrative franchises. I do hope the Twilight movie does well, well enough to launch the career of young and aspiring actors like Pattinson.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve been a Harry Potter fan since forever and I just recently got into the Twilight series..so now I am a fan of both..both of course I’ll always be more into Harry! but yeah, those questions are a bit embarrasing of the Twilight fans..they could of thought of better questions..but it is true..there isn’t as much to ask and as many mysteries as they were for Deathly Hallows so I understand that too. but I wish I could have been there..I definitely would have thought of better questions!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I totally agree with you Melissa. I haven’t been a fan of twilight for very long, but I’m already sick of the fighting between the two series. They are two completely different stories and they need to stop being compared. I love both of them and there is nothing wrong with that.

Avatar Image says:

LoL Melissa. Good point. That is pretty sad, and it makes me fear for the next generation of young women.

Personally, I’m not a Twilight fan. I read the first book, and just didn’t enjoy it. However, I agree that there is no reason for the fighting or the constant comparison between the two series. First of all, Twilight is a YA romance series. HP is a classic fantasy series/hero tale. Comparing the two is silly, considering they both belong in different genres. However, you’ll continue to hear people fight over the quality of the two series as long as the media continues to compare the two fandoms and the authors. Plus, articles like the Entertainment Weekley article a few weeks ago that contained a quote from one of Stephanie Meyer’s friends saying J.K. Rowling may be a one hit wonder, doesn’t really help.

Avatar Image says:

I think the reasons why they didn’t ask any questions about the books really and in particular the last one is because no one went there to see Stephanie Meyer. No one drove 4 hours just to have her tell them “Oh wait for the 4th book”. It was about the Twilight MOVIE so people waited all day to see the cast, not the author. It wasn’t a book signing it was an event specifically about the movie.

Avatar Image says:

I read the the first 3 twilight books a while ago and I loved them. I have been keeping up with some stories about the movie and the new book comming out but unfortunatly these stories about the fandom cause me to hold the books in a lower esteem as time goes by. I know its not logical but thats whats happening. I can’t believe stephanie meyer was asked less questions than the actors. By what some of the commenters have been saying some of the actors are scared of the fans…thats a concern. Are harry potter events like that too?

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, you just nearly gave me a heart attack! I was skimming through because I’ve never read Twilight & don’t have any particular interest in it when I saw the HP Comic Con line up and completely freaked out because I’d somehow not heard about Jo being at a convention?! I still didn’t spot the ‘fictional’ part & it was only when I saw the date and thought ‘Hang onnnn, I was with Evanna Lynch in England on that day… PHEW!’ =P

Avatar Image says:

Melissa, this post is pretty much EXACTLY my reaction to the Twilight fandom, and the HP vs Twilight craziness. It also reminds me a lot of HP at the beginning, when it kept being compared to LotR, remember? It was like you couldn’t like one if you already liked the other, it was crazy! And now we’re getting the same with Twilight. The only things they have in common is that they are a series, they are very popular, they are written by women and they have movie adaptations. But story-wise they are as far apart from one another as France and Australia!

However, I have to say it’s isn’t as easy to theorize about Twilight than about HP; with Harry Potter there were clues all over as to what was going on, and in the end we had to discover what was going on; who was good, who was bad, what was where etc. It’s different with Twilight I think, it depends much more on the choices of the characters and the only things we can theorize about is whether Bella will become a vampire or not, and what will happen if she does or if she doesn’t, you know?

That being said, I cannot believe nobody asked SM about Breaking Dawn, that’s insane!!

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t (yet) read the twilight books, but from what I do know of them, they sound as if they are primarily romance novels, which might partially explain the type of questions posed. More to the point, though, the HP books have a big dose of thriller/ mystery in them which lend themselves to theorizing, research and debate. Does the twilight series have that same potential?

Avatar Image says:

I guess that is the difference between a book and literature--I read teh Twilight books-the first three anyway-the first was a fun book-sexy mysterious romantic…but then the next one was not so great and neither was the third though I felt better than the no. 2—-many people have one book in them whether or not they have two is what makes an author

. Jk Rowling has written classics for our time. Meyer has written some fun stuff-stories-to take you away for a few hours. Jk Rowling’s work-That is the stuff of great literature-we discuss IDEAS-THEMES—willingly and without an english teacher breathing down our necks! Thank you to both of them for writing what they do…But thank you JK for what my kids and grand kids and great grand kids will read.

Avatar Image says: i know i am so late commenting on this it's not even funny, but i thought i had to put something in. don't get me wrong, i'm a twilight fan, but i thought that melissa made excellent points when it came to this. a harry potter comic-con with a panel like that would be soooo different (but god, wouldn't it be amazing?? all the actors...plus jo...or maybe the other way around... jo plus all the actors :)) plus, the boxers/breifs question always makes me uncomfortable. sure, the actors are mega hot but i always cringe when it's asked. i remember watching an interview where dan was asked that question, and i find it as bad as when you see videos of actors' private photos on youtube or photos in tabloids of people with bad bikini bodies. ok, rant over!

Write a Reply or Comment