Dumbledore’s Thick Woolen Socks

407

Oct 12, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Readers will recall back in May we first learned of new Half-Blood Prince promo images on a new product, Harry Potter wool from the Opal Sock Yarn company. Opal has now updated their site with images of finished knitted socks made with this new Harry Potter yarn (also available here in our galleries.) This editor would like to think the late great Professor Dumbledore might have enjoyed these lovely thick woolen socks

Other finished socks using the new HP yarn include: Ron/Tonks/Harry/Draco/Lupin/Hedwig/RonHarry.

If you are a crafty person and are interested in making some Harry Potter socks, be sure to check out the Craft section of TLC, including a knitting section.

Thanks Kelly and Eleanor!

15 Responses to Dumbledore’s Thick Woolen Socks

Avatar Image says:

Love these socks! I’ll be making them!

Avatar Image says:

Hmm, this seems interesting. I wonder what happened to the article I was just reading and posting on.

Avatar Image says:

You can never have enough socks!

qwill,

My blog entry showed on the main site for about 20 minutes before I could get that “swish and flick” just right to put it in the right place. Your comment didn’t follow the article when I finally got it to move. (I think it was Nargles) I need to ask Luna about that necklace of hers!

Thanks -

Doris

Avatar Image says:

Aw, too bad that blog entry is gone, too…that would’ve been the first time that I was the first to comment on a news entry. xD

Avatar Image says:

My Draco yarn is on its way; Hedwig is on back order. ^_~ And this particular sock yarn is quite thin – not the thick woolen socks that Professor Dumbledore pined for, but it’s magical. Opal yarn is dyed in such a way that the patterns appear, uh, magically. It’s expensive but it’s a lot of fun to work with. Can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

i love harry potter, and i love knitting, but i honestly can’t see how these sock yarns bring these two things together in any interesting way. dumbledore loves socks, yes, but i bet he has mixed feelings about tenuous corporate tie-ins.

Avatar Image says:

I love the way the socks seem to reflect their characters. Except perhaps Hedwig. She isn’t dull.

Avatar Image says:

These look quite nice, especially the Tonks coloured yarn… perhaps I’ll try my first pair of socks soon!

Avatar Image says:

I CAN’T KNIT! : ( I wonder if anyone will be selling them? Hint Hint. I NEED DUMBLEDORES WARM WOOL SOCKS!!!

Doris,

Darn those nargles, they’re everywhere! Maybe I’ll plant some dirigible plums next spring.

qwill

Avatar Image says:

hmmm. I imagined Hedwig yarn to be more white and gray. Maybe that’s just me. :P

Avatar Image says:

Very cool, but I don’t see how the colors they chose for Harry and Draco match the characters. Ah well.

Avatar Image says:

I like the Tonks socks and the Lupin socks, but I don’t think Lupin’s fit his character and Draco’s didn’t really either. I’m waiting to hear whether this actually works. It would be easy for some talented knitters to make the socks look like that, but what about amateurs like me? I find it hard to believe that the yarn can be died so that the patterns appear like that every time. It’s a cool idea if it works, but the connection between the yarn and Harry Potter is a stretch at best.

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE these. If you asked me to make socks to fit someone’s character, I wouldn’t be able to do it. How did they make these work? I need to get this yarn. Lupin’s was kinda confusing, though. The pink seemes a little too bright for him. I would’ve used brown or dark gray, something more…wolfish.

Write a Reply or Comment