Dan Radcliffe Talks Epilogue of "Deathly Hallows" Movie and more on Inside Actors Studio

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
October 16, 2008, 11:53 AM

As readers will remember, a few weeks back we first told you that actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) would be a guest on the Bravo channel show "Inside the Actors Studio" for their new season.  The recording of the program took place early last week at Pace University, and the first snippets from the interview are starting to appear online via a new article from The Pace Press newspaper.  Among the many topics discussed with interviewer James Lipton, Mr. Radcliffe briefly mentions the Epilogue in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" in regards to actors Rupert Grint and Emma Watson portraying characters Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger in the film adaptation.  He says: "It's going to be a source of entertainment to see Ron and Hermione together."

In addition to this, Mr. Radcliffe speaks further on the Harry Potter films and his experience working with the cast and crew.  When speaking of the "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" film, he remembers during the interview that director Alfonso Cuaron was able to push him to his limits when acting.  He says of Mr. Cuaron's directing style:

"You want somebody you can suggest things to, not someone you're intimidated by. You also want somebody who will turn to you after a take and say, 'That was not very good at all.' That's how you know you can trust his judgment."
Mr. Radcliffe continues, speaking on his childhood and what brought him into acting after he describes himself as being "crap at everything."  When asked if, as a child, he lived through his imagination, Radcliffe replied:  "Yes, and I still do. I have this fascination with the world. I like to observe weird things like how a door closes, or the grates on a subway platform."  Mr. Radcliffe also feels he shares a few characteristics with the character of Harry Potter, including a "innate curiosity about the world…" and, he says, "We have very good friends too."

Finally, Mr. Radcliffe's performance in the Peter Shaffer play "Equus" leads to talk of his preparation for the physically demanding role, the psychological aspects of the story, and his experiences with the American audiences.  Of the differences between the UK and Stateside audiences, he is quoted as saying: "[New York audiences] are amazing. They pick up on everything and are more generous."

As we've reported many times on Leaky, "Equus" currently runs through February 8, 2009 at the Broadhurst Theatre in New York City.  A limited number of tickets are still available and can be purchased via this link.  More information the play and performances can be found on the official “Equus” website.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

chrissy

thanks izziewitch i’m listening right now:) and he IS wonderful!

Posted by chrissy on October 17, 2008, 10:42 AM report to moderator
Maya

I love HP both books and movies, and i think Dan is growing into a fine actor but i can’t for the life of me understand why is he on The Actors Studio, i mean he is barley 20 years old and been in the industry for only 10 years with his most known performance yet is the HP movies.
i think this is way too early for him to be on that show i would have waited another 10 years let him finish HP do more movies and plays and then bring him on.
i can think of the top of my head 5 other people that (with all due respect to Dan) should be on that stage.

Posted by Maya on October 17, 2008, 11:08 AM report to moderator
Selina

He enjoys watching a door close?

Okay…

Posted by Selina on October 17, 2008, 11:44 AM report to moderator
kamion

@Ginney Potter………It says….Born July 23,1989,
Daniel James Radcliffe……….I think this person got Dan confused with
James Potter[lol!]

Posted by Jeannine on October 16, 2008, 10:04 PM

he really did as Daniel’s middle name is Jacob.

Posted by kamion on October 17, 2008, 12:28 PM report to moderator
n agree with Christine. I wish that I could go see Equus too. I live in CT which isn’t that far away from NY, but still it’d take a few hours before we could get there. And plus I’m sure that all of the tickets are almost sold out, if they’re not sold out already. And also, I’m sure it’s really expensive.

Posted by Sheri on October 16, 2008, 03:49 PM [/quote]

Sheri, tickets are almost always available at the half price booth. I walked up and bought a 4th row orchestra for last Wednesday’s matinee for $69. If you really want to go, quit making excuses and go.

Posted by n on October 17, 2008, 12:51 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Selina, I think the point he’s making is how we take things for granted like a door closing. He’s thinking how is it closing neatly. Its got hinges, so how do the hinges work. Ok I admit that sounds like someone who should become a mad scientist. But I know where he is coming from. I sit down at work and have a banana, then as I peel it, I’m thinking how the hell is this banana able to peel so neatly. How did McDonads dining table get to be so smooth? What? What do you mean its time for my medication, I only took it 10 mins ago…

Posted by Professor Potter on October 17, 2008, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

I thought that too Maya, but I realise we had the wrong preconception of Insiders Studio. Its not meant for just the older actors who have a long backlog of work. Its for any popular actor to discuss what they have experienced so far. Then what makes Insiders Studio interesting is that many of these actors get called back again after several years and they see how they have progressed. I remember Tom Hanks being on it lately and reflecting on the years that has passed since his last visit when he made Philadelphia.

Posted by Professor Potter on October 17, 2008, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Jeannine

@ Maya:: well the thing of it is that at so young an age Dan really has accomplished far more than some people far older and Equus has put him on another plain as ‘not just a movie star’ which he has now been for years but a ‘stage’ actor which in some eyes goes beyond ……….I’m not listing ALL the reasons he deserves this honor…..but he does ….and Dan can not control who they do and do not ask on this program,he can only respond to what
they ask of him.

Personally I think being a film star can be very underrated both
require much talent.

I don’t think the person who wrote this articule was paying much attention to what was being said or maybe they were just somewhere else..lol!.. and just wrote what they thought was said……I know they were lacking in a sense of humor.

Posted by Jeannine on October 17, 2008, 01:08 PM report to moderator
Jeannine

@ Professor Potter::: Yeah I love that thay do that with actors sometimes…. bring them back to discuss what has happend since …the progress of thier work and lives….I hope they do that with Dan as well….I think that is what they are thinking.

Posted by Jeannine on October 17, 2008, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Clara

I got worried !! Nothing for 3 days ‘in the news’!! Randy, what are you saying?!!!! you saw Dan in ‘Equus’!!! He must have been so good !!!! I wish I could see him in reality too !!!!!!

Posted by Clara on October 17, 2008, 01:14 PM report to moderator
bebe

Hello all – including Leaky news. Dan’s interview from the Times Talk is up – podcast and video clip. You should post the links. It’s pretty good!

Posted by bebe on October 17, 2008, 01:26 PM report to moderator
sl

Hi Maya – well, Christian Slater is about to be on Inside the Actor’s Studio. He’s been around for a long time, and I like him, but his body of work is not huge or fantastically acclaimed (except for “Heathers” – loved that!). But, he is an interesting person and there are many reasons for someone to be on the show (not to mention that Bravo is in the same group as the network that Mr. Slater’s new show is going to be on). But, Dan is pretty interesting and is a good interview. He is interesting to both youth and adults – he is just kind of different.

Posted by sl on October 17, 2008, 03:18 PM report to moderator
budb

i wonder how he would do, in a couple of years, as Mozart in the play version of Amadeus? Just thinking ahead…..

and of course when the re-make of the HP series gets done in 30 years or so, he should play Snape…. ;-)

Posted by budb on October 17, 2008, 04:12 PM report to moderator
H. Gregory Potter

So when is this episode going to air on Bravo

Posted by H. Gregory Potter on October 17, 2008, 05:19 PM report to moderator
anne

HPLUVER, that was mean…Sheri implied nothing about sitting “on her arse” instead of doing the traveling. And a few hours from CT to NYC is not like driving a few hours across ND or straight highway or country miles miles.

Posted by anne on October 17, 2008, 05:36 PM report to moderator

"He's not even good-looking!" she muttered angrily, glaring at Krum's sharp profile. "They only like him because he's famous! They wouldn't look twice at him if he couldn't do that Wonky-Faint thing --"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014