Marketing Professor: Only Hufflepuffs Totally Loyal to Harry

Books
October 20, 2008, 04:33 PM

The Telegraph is reporting tonight that a professor in the UK has done a study on readers of the Harry Potter novels, with the findings apparently revealing there are four distinct type of readers. According to the report, Professor Stephen Brown of the Ulster Business School says the groups closely mirror the Houses of Hogwarts, and indicates the breakdown of the groups as follows:

• 'Hufflepuff' readers take the tales at a slow, steady and systematic pace and enjoy re-reading the books over and over.
  • 'Gryffindor' readers are eager and energetic and will devour the latest Potter book in one sitting, but quickly move on to new things.
  • 'Ravenclaws' are subversive and take the stories with a pinch of salt, while 'Slytherin' readers are not fussed about the books.They prefer the films but pretend to have read the books when it suits them.

Speaking about potential sales and continuing interest in Harry Potter now that the seventh and final book in the series has been published, Professor Brown said "It is an interesting time in the development of the Potter brand because a lot of people have moved on. It will only be people who revel in his world who will continue with their admiration of the brand," he forecast.

He also noted that "Only the Hufflepuffs are totally loyal to Harry, the Gryffindors are already moving on to other things, the Slytherins never really liked him anyway and the Ravenclaws are too busy writing their own fan fiction or posting spoof videos on YouTube."

Finally, Professor Brown said that the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling do not have staying power, and noted "It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say 'Why did we ever read this stuff?' "

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

HRWGHP

Well, based on that guess I am a Hufflepuff reader

I enjoy reading the series over and over :D

Posted by HRWGHP on October 20, 2008, 11:38 PM report to moderator
Helios Lightra

Seems fairly accurate, though mention of fansites would probably lend him more credibility. He’s going to get totally trashed by the commenters by calling it a fad that people will look back on with distaste….

Posted by Helios Lightra on October 20, 2008, 11:39 PM report to moderator
kristine

agreed. proud to be a hufflepuffian reader!

Posted by kristine on October 20, 2008, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Steph

I’d be a Hufflepuff/Gryffindor hybrid. I devour them in one sitting, but I reread them over and over.

Plus, he forgot a huge part of the readership. The ones who obsess over the book, but they interpret everything incorrectly and/or only how they want to see it. The selective readers! Who would they be? The Death Eaters?? lol :)

Posted by Steph on October 20, 2008, 11:40 PM report to moderator
potterhead23

Hey, don’t besmirch the fanfics! I really hope it doesn’t all become a fad :(

“No word if Professor Brown has ever visited a Harry Potter fan site while doing the research.”- I love you Sue!

Posted by potterhead23 on October 20, 2008, 11:41 PM report to moderator
Lily Phoenix

He’s kind of dumb. Just saying, cause I’m a Gryffindor and I will never get tired of Harry Potter.

Oh, and it will never go out of style. NEVER.

Posted by Lily Phoenix on October 20, 2008, 11:42 PM report to moderator
phillip

im a hufflepuff all the way! WOOHOO!!!

Posted by phillip on October 20, 2008, 11:42 PM report to moderator
Flonk

Shall I split myself? I read the books in a rush, but I love to read them over and over, too. Gryffinpuff or something…

Posted by Flonk on October 20, 2008, 11:43 PM report to moderator
zoltan42

The first time I read each book I would read it in one day — maybe two — which is akin to Gryffindor. Basically I wanted to find out what happened. I’ve re-read the series several times, but those times slower, giving me time to more fully analysis and ponder what was written. However, I’ve tried several on-line sorting sites, and each time I get sorted into Ravenclaw.

Posted by zoltan42 on October 20, 2008, 11:51 PM report to moderator
Lindsey

I’m truly a Hufflepuff through and through!

Posted by Lindsey on October 20, 2008, 11:57 PM report to moderator
emmy

Same as Steph here!

I’m a ‘Huffledor’ as well ;-) Or just a Hufflepuff who reads it in one go
And the readers that interpret it all wrong- not death eaters. I think they’re muggles! :-P

Posted by emmy on October 21, 2008, 12:00 AM report to moderator
emmy

About the question whether the books will live on or not… Can’t blame him for saying they won’t, since we don’t know yet! It’s up to us to prove him wrong in the future!

Posted by emmy on October 21, 2008, 12:03 AM report to moderator
Steph

I think I like this being a “Huffledor” thing. And I’m totally re-reading them right now! I’ve gotta read em every three months or I start going through withdrawl.

Posted by Steph on October 21, 2008, 12:06 AM report to moderator
emmy

I’ve read comments on other sites as well: lots of people read it in one go, yet keep rereading them. So I guess the professor tried to put us in boxes, but it doesn’t quite fit! :-)

Posted by emmy on October 21, 2008, 12:09 AM report to moderator
Mimblewimble

“It could come back into fashion but I think it could be like many fads and just fade away and people will look back and say ‘Why did we ever read this stuff?’”

Oh man I wish Prof. Brown would bet me money on that prediction. Easy money. Too easy. Almost like stealing.

Posted by Mimblewimble on October 21, 2008, 12:09 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

He had patched up his wand with some borrowed Spellotape, but it seemed to be damaged beyond repair. It kept crackling and sparking at odd moments, and every time Ron tried to transfigure his beetle it engulfed him in thick gray smoke that smelled of rott