Borders in London to Hold Midnight Release Party for "Beedle the Bard," Waterstone's Planning Day Release Events

Books
November 10, 2008, 04:43 PM

TLC has received word of what we believe is the first midnight release parties being planned for The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Thanks to TLC reader David  we now know of two parties being held at book stores in the UK. Borders at Charing Cross Road (near and dear to us here at TLC as it is also the location of the Leaky Cauldron in London) is set to hold a special midnight release party for the new book by J.K. Rowling due out December 4. Information posted on the Borders website reads as follows:

Join us in store on Wednesday 3rd December for events Harry Potter style, taking us right up to the release at 1 minute past midnight on Thursday 4th December. Be the first to own the long anticipated release from J.K. Rowling.

Additional London events are being held (Watford, Islington, Kingston) as is one by the London Colney Borders, where the site has a bit more on things planned for that event.

J.K. Rowling 'Tales of Beedle the Bard' MIDNIGHT PARTY!
12:01 pm, Thu 4th Dec 2008
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling returns with her highly anticipated new novel 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard'. Join us here at Borders London Colney for the midnight launch party and be one of the first to get your copy. There will be all kinds of activities on the night leading up to the release of the book at 1 minute past midnight. Reserve your copy for just £2.00 and get Jonathan Stroud's 'The Amulet of Samarkand' and Justin Somper's 'Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean' for FREE when collecting 'Tales of Beedle the Bard'.Pre-order before 21/11/08.

Dublin, Ireland will also see a midnight release party for The Tales of Beedle the Bard, as the Borders store there says "We'll have Face Painting, Fancy Dress prizes, Magic Potions and readings from The Tales once it's released at midnight and much more!"

Other UK Borders holding midnight release parties include: Dundee, Scotland, Glasgow-Fort,  Inverness, Scotland (day party only, plus weekend event), Fort Kinnaird, Scotland (midnight, plus weekend event)

UPDATE: Many Waterstone's stores in the UK are planning DAY RELEASE parties, starting at 8am on December 4 for the release. A full list of those stores is available here. Please note that at Waterstone's you can currently pre-order The Tales of Beedle the Bard at half-price! As of now we do not know of any Midnight parties planned here in the States. If you know of a special release party being planned for Beedle, please leave a comment below and we will update this post.

Thanks so much David of EvannaLynch.net!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

KatetheKeeper

I wish I lived in London…

Posted by KatetheKeeper on November 10, 2008, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

AWESOME!! I’m so there!!

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on November 10, 2008, 04:54 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

…or maybe not as it turns out as buses don’t appear to run after midnight and can’t afford to stay over in London… ah well that was a short lived happiness!

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on November 10, 2008, 05:04 PM report to moderator
Miriam

I am so there, and I live 20 minutes walk from that Borders :)…

Posted by Miriam on November 10, 2008, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Sophie

Aaaw… I am one year “late”.. I could have gone to the release party in Inverness as I was only about an hour away from there at my exchange year, but no. Now I’m back in Norway. Oh well.. I’ll have my own release party!! :D Anyone from Norway want to have a Harry Potter party? And we do have The Scottish Book to look forward to ;D

Posted by Sophie on November 10, 2008, 06:20 PM report to moderator
Joel

When I pre-ordered Beedle at the WaldenBooks in Concord, North Carolina (at the Carolina Mall) I was informed that they were planning a midnight release and would call me with more information as the release date grew closer. I pre-ordered in August, though, and still haven’t heard anything, so I’m starting to doubt their plans. I do wish Beedle were being released on a Saturday, though, to allow for more children to attend midnight releases…

Posted by Joel on November 10, 2008, 06:50 PM report to moderator
H

Come on, America! Let’s have some parties of our own!

Posted by H on November 10, 2008, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Thats great news! I thought last year’s DH will be the last time I experience a fanatic midnight release. Beedle is not as big as a HP novel but it sure will be nice to be amongst potter fans on a midnight release one more time. I think I will settle with going to Borders at Charing X as I think they will have a bigger atmosphere there. And I am sure many US book stores will have a release party too, so dont worry guys!

Posted by Professor Potter on November 10, 2008, 08:17 PM report to moderator
courtney

i want one.

Posted by courtney on November 10, 2008, 09:18 PM report to moderator
hpboy13

May I ask whose genius idea it was to release this on a THURSDAY? Why Thursday, of all days, why not Saturday or Sunday or Monday or ANY day that people can actually go? No wonder no US bookstores are gonna bother with midnight parties, who on earth would show up? A dozen adults? sigh And I’d had such big plans for this…oh well.

Posted by hpboy13 on November 11, 2008, 01:17 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Thats true, didnt realise its on a Thursday. Thats an awkward day. Memory serves that Harry Potter books were released on a Friday night which was far more suitable for everyone. I reckon when they announced the release date, they didn’t reckon on fans wanting a release party for this one.

Posted by Professor Potter on November 11, 2008, 04:11 AM report to moderator
jenn.

oooh i think i’ll have to get my mum to preorder me this in waterstones [she buys all my books as i don’t read many.. (only ever read HBP & DH lol..) ] although i cant see my local store on the list?? luckily my sister lives in liverpool so if i cant get it here i can get her to get me it and send it on or bring it home when shes next here ;D

Posted by jenn. on November 11, 2008, 04:44 AM report to moderator
Hazel

I live near London, but it’s a school night, and I won’t be able to get home =( Am gutted, this would have been fantastic.

Posted by Hazel on November 11, 2008, 11:45 AM report to moderator
hericus

I live a couple of hours away from london, can drive aswel, but I cant be bothered lol (sorry) I’ll wait to buy it the next day.

Posted by hericus on November 11, 2008, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Daisy

Yays! It was my friend Izzy who found this and told everyone about it! I never made it to a midnight party before but I’m going to be at this one :)

Posted by Daisy on November 11, 2008, 01:17 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Ron... haven't I been a good friend... a good pet? You won't let them kill me, Ron, will you... you're on my side, aren't you?"[br]But Ron was staring at Pettigrew with the utmost revulsion.[br]"I let you sleep in my [i]bed[/i]!" he said.