Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Harry Loony

Why do I feel that us fans have become less and less supportive of the Harry Potter franchise?

Posted by Harry Loony on November 14, 2008, 06:56 AM report to moderator
Erin

It really is too bad. I think they won’t bother to replace her…she isn’t so improtant in the last film…but she was always good for comic relief!

Posted by Erin on November 14, 2008, 05:50 PM report to moderator
Dee

Seriously…Nanny McPhee…no one will remember it in 10 years. But the Harry Potter movies? Will be watched for decades and decades.

Hmm…I’m an actress and I look quite a bit like Emma…where do I apply?? Oh, drat, I’m not British….

Posted by Dee on November 14, 2008, 10:09 PM report to moderator
DUMBYFORTH

OUTRAGEOUS!!! WHY DO ALL THE EMMAS CONSIDER DROPPING OUT? THE NAME SHOULD BE BANNED.HOPE THAT THIS EMMA CHANGES HER MIND…. LIKE THE 1 ST

Posted by DUMBYFORTH on November 15, 2008, 12:25 PM report to moderator
Robbie

I’ll bet they meant something to her while she was cashing those fat paychecks, though. Greedy ignorant woman. I’ve lost all respect for her.

Posted by Robbie on November 15, 2008, 02:12 PM report to moderator
lkdh

I can understand her being interested in her own project more. And I can live with another actress playing Trelawney, since whoever it is will be mostly hidden behind those silly glasses anyway. True, Thompson has a gift for comedy, but so do other good actresses. I don’t think she was in it “just for the money”. Emma is not shallow; she puts herself into any part she play. I don’t perceive her statement as “harsh”, as much as simply matter-of-fact as to how it relates to her own life. She wrote the “Nanny McPhee” script, and she wants to work on it. I can understand why she’d prefer to work on her own stuff. It’s not like Trelawney is a key part like Snape, Dumbledore, or one of the trio. I only hope they find someone else with a gift for subtle comedy, so I don’t really notice any falling off.

Posted by lkdh on November 15, 2008, 09:18 PM report to moderator
*Peeved*

I can totally understand her decision. It’s a shame cos she’s one of my favourite actresses and cast members from the Potter movies but it makes sense why she’s more attached to NM (I’m not a big fan of that film which I thought was just good for kids but then I’ve not been overly impressed with the Potter movies either). They’ve cut far more important things from the Potter movies so I’m not too bothered she won’t be in the last films, I don’t recall her character doing that much anyway in DH, as long as someone reveals it was her prediction (if they haven’t already, I tend to lose patience with the films and may miss little things when distracted by something missing or shown incorrectly) I don’t think we need to see her again (although obviously were she to change her mind it’d be great). There are plenty of other characters that need more screen time (and haven’t piggin’ had enough yet!!) and character development.

Posted by *Peeved* on November 16, 2008, 08:30 AM report to moderator
Maja Leonora

Wow… I hope there is no new prof. Trelawney…. Emma Thompson was great, I love her so much.

Definitly too bad. I would have loved to see Trelawney throwing those chrystal balls! (But it has got to be in the shape of Emma!)

Posted by Maja Leonora on November 16, 2008, 03:32 PM report to moderator
ibelieveinnargles

urgh! how hard is it to stay for one more freaking film? They should make the actors sign a contract for sequels, it isn’t fair to the fans to replace them!

Posted by ibelieveinnargles on November 17, 2008, 02:09 AM report to moderator
Pigwidgeon

I have always loved Emma Thompson as an actress—she was wonderful in “Howard’s End,” “Remains of the Day” and “Carrington,” and she even brought me to tears as Alan Rickman’s betrayed wife in “Love Actually.” I was thrilled for her when she won an Academy Award as the screen writer for “Sense and Sensibility,” one of my all-time favorite films. And I do wish her well with the next Nanny McPhee project. Like multitudes of HP fans, I am still furious with WB for the altogether greed-inspired delay of HBP and the equally profit-motivated decision to split DH into two films, so I can appreciate somewhat Ms. Thomson’s statement about the HP franchises. However, I was dismayed by her rather haughty attitude regarding the artistic merit of the HP films compared with her own project, which seems to imply that HP fans are being fed, and are deserving of, mediocrity. Sorry, Emma. The HP film series keeps getting better as the story evolves, just as the books did, and the actors, young and old alike, have been mostly wonderful. The saying, “There are no small parts, only small actors” comes to mind in this circumstance, and if the shoe fits, one must wear it.

Posted by Pigwidgeon on November 17, 2008, 02:50 AM report to moderator
peteek

OUTRAGED, OUTRAGED I AM, NOOOOOOO! I WANTED ALL OF THEM BACK FOR MOVIE 7 NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by peteek on November 17, 2008, 01:59 PM report to moderator
aughra

@ Pigwidgeon:

Thanks for your balance and detail; I love Emma Thompson too. But I’ll have to take issue with the “small parts/small actors” line. She has done the small part for several films, now, and done the comedy well. But the role only gets smaller after the great eviction scene in COS. But where is room to work?

I don’t think she’s comparing the artistic merit as a viewer, which is how we see it. She’s comparing the artistic merit as a actor. Compare a bare 1-2 lines plus a few frames of wicked wand-waving to a whole script to write AND perform. That’s comparing pudding to the whole trifle bowl. NMc, for all its Mary Poppins derivativeness, is a whole new world for her to play with and in. And the production schedule for these movies is often very tight: she can’t be two places at once. Which to do, then: pudding or trifle?

Posted by aughra on November 17, 2008, 02:52 PM report to moderator
DeliaDee

I’m not outraged but I am profoundly disappointed. Emma is a wonderful Trelawney and, while I understand why she loves her Nanny McPhee so much (I’ve never seen it but it’s her baby), her role in DH wouldn’t have taken so much of her time that she couldn’t have done it. She’s really only in the Battle of Hogwarts. Would that have made it impossible for her to do her Nanny thing? I sincerely doubt it. It’s all about time management. And I will dearly miss her in that scene. She would have made it hysterical. I do think her attitude is appalling though. She knew she was dealing with a mult-movie experience when she signed up for Trelawney. And her statement really is quite insulting. I always liked Emma in her interviews and love her as an actress. I must admit that this gives me a bit of pause regarding her.

Posted by DeliaDee on November 21, 2008, 09:58 AM report to moderator
moi

That’s such a shame, she was a fantastic Trelawney and it BITES that she won’t be back for the final HP – and even more so when Nanny Mcphee is such a bad movie to begin with – why on earth make a sequel/second one?!

Posted by moi on November 24, 2008, 02:39 AM report to moderator

"My name is Professor Trelawney. You may not have seen me before. I find that descending too often into the hustle and bustle of the main school clouds my Inner Eye."