Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

remipau

Not a problem, her part is too small in DH to worry Warner Bros.
And the scene when she dropes balls on deatheaters must stay in the book, it won’t be good on screen.
As long WB can bring back the main adults characters and also Gary Oldman and Imelda Staunton (I want those MoM scenes !!!).

Posted by remipau on November 11, 2008, 05:15 PM report to moderator
Carol Carvalho

I hope they get ssomeone else to play her!!! It’s not a big deal, Emma Thompson is hidden behind the costume anyway…

Posted by Carol Carvalho on November 11, 2008, 05:16 PM report to moderator
michael

I think there are many hypocrites on this forum. All of a sudden, Emma T. is not a good actor and does a poor job playing Trelawney?!?
At least, she’s honest! Honestly! Do you really think all these actors truly LOVE acting in the HP movies? OK it must be fun, but I can understand that a great actor like her will set its priorities like she did. She doesn’t sat HP is bad; she doesn’t say it’s bad to act in a HP movie. She just says she would rather concentrate on something of her creation that is important to her. What is wrong with that?
And of course, I’d love to see her in the HP movie too. I’ll miss her, but I understand her choice.

Posted by michael on November 11, 2008, 05:16 PM report to moderator
emmy

That’s too bad, but I completely understand: I can imagine making the same choice- after thinking it over and over for a looooong time :-)

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Amy Darlene

I agree with Ginger…. she will be missed…but I will love to see another nanny McPhee movie.

Posted by Amy Darlene on November 11, 2008, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Pockin

I respect her descision, but I don’t think it was the timeframe of when the two movies were being shot- they could have easily gone around it. I think she just doesn’t want to be a part of a “zombie-like” franchise, it’s just not her thing. You only see her once in the book, they’d probably cut her out anyways… I’d like to see Flitwick and his students wingardium leviosa-ing big heavy statues of the top of the stairs at the death eaters

Posted by Pockin on November 11, 2008, 05:19 PM report to moderator
Rik Potter

This is incredibly disappointing, and I daresay, a bit selfish. Even though she is not “emotionally or creatively” attached to the films, people love her as Professor Trelawney, and she should come back, if not for herself then for the fans who adore this character. She does a wonderful job as Trelawney, and I think we should have seen more of her in the films.

Posted by Rik Potter on November 11, 2008, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Tim

Jenn – yeah, I know he passed away but the recasting was awful. 1) he was nothing like the first Dumbledore and 2) he’s nothing like the Dumbledore from the books (at least how I read them). I mean, they didn’t even try to make them look the same!

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 05:24 PM report to moderator
Brianna

I think that’s kinda jacked up or her, but i kinda agree. She didn’t have any creative freedom and she wasn’t even a HUGE main person, so i can see her not going it. I think im okay with it. But i cant wait till Nanny McPhee 2 i love that movie!!!

Posted by Brianna on November 11, 2008, 05:33 PM report to moderator
Tim

Please note that I’m not saying she’s a bad actress or did a poor job playing Trelawney. I just think this is a rather stupid move on her part. What’s another year or even two between Nanny McPhees? There’s no Nanny McPhee 2 countdown, there’s no pent up rage for Nanny McPhee. You have a chance to be a memorable part of one of the biggest movie franchises in cinema history and you’re passing on solidifying your part of it so you can make another B movie… Just really doesn’t make any sense…

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 05:34 PM report to moderator
Jaime

Thnx WB you’ve lost another great actress for not giving her a bigger role.
I want Trelawney back and that’s that!

Posted by Jaime on November 11, 2008, 05:35 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ Tim

She already IS a part of the biggest movie franchise, just not all the way. And who says that one only has to work on big famous movies? There’s other things as well. It’s not because it’s less big, that it’s less important.

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 05:38 PM report to moderator
Nikki

…so not cool. freaking-a.
nanny mcphee?
really?

Posted by Nikki on November 11, 2008, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Tim

I realize she is a big part but if they give it to someone else and she has some huge part in DH people will remember her less and the person replacing her more. That’s just the nature of how these things work. I’m saying that given an opportunity to cement your status as one of the beloved characters of the one of the biggest franchises in cinema history it’s stupid of you to pass that up to make another B movie.

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Razmo

I have a feeling that if we were only a week-and-a-half away from a HBP release (as originally planned), we’d be seeing a lot less animosity and frustration towards Thompson on this site. All this anger and disappointment is just plain nonsense.

Posted by Razmo on November 11, 2008, 05:45 PM report to moderator

"I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable."[br]One of the Beauxbatons girls still clutching a muffler around her head gave what was unmistakably a derisive laugh.[b

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014