Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

ellabellatrix

This is so disappointing. I really respected her until now. Shame, I won’t have any part of the next Nanny McPhee due to this ridiculous insinuation. Everyone involved in the Potter movies seems so invested- look at Jason Isaacs (personally, I like to look at him all the time).

Posted by ellabellatrix on November 11, 2008, 06:27 PM report to moderator
Tim

emmy – they are both phenomenons…

Just like LOTR.

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 06:29 PM report to moderator
ellabellatrix

did I mention that I have a huge crush on Jason Isaacs??? Mainly because he loves the HP’s so much- quote “this is like crack for kids- I read the last book while driving” Aside from him being breath-takingly gorgeous… he’s a die-hard like the rest of us.

Posted by ellabellatrix on November 11, 2008, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Sars

Honestly, wtf? It’s one more! Just DO it betch!

Posted by Sars on November 11, 2008, 06:32 PM report to moderator
anne

ellabellatrix, I’m with you on the Isaacs bit! Now there’s a great actor who isn’t so up himself that he can’t enjoy putting on a wizard costume for the odd ‘turn’ and then go off and do other serious creative stuff as well.

Posted by anne on November 11, 2008, 06:33 PM report to moderator
ellabellatrix

Amen Sars… A-effing-men.

Posted by ellabellatrix on November 11, 2008, 06:33 PM report to moderator
ellabellatrix

Yes Anne!!! I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one that appreciates Mr. Isaacs!!
Not too proud to admit how much he loves HP. Gotta love that in a man!

Posted by ellabellatrix on November 11, 2008, 06:35 PM report to moderator
ellabellatrix

Not too proud to admit how much he loves HP. Gotta love that in a man!

Posted by ellabellatrix on November 11, 2008, 06:35 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ Tim

The LOTR films aren’t the best in the world either ;-)

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 06:37 PM report to moderator
Tim

To clarify my point “The five Potter books have sold 250 million copies worldwide” http://www.forbes.com/2004/02/26/cx_jw_0226rowlingbill04.html
(this is old but for comparing against the 5 movies it works quite well). Whereas the first 5 movies grossed just under $4.5 billion. When you look at how Scholastic made 185 million off of 12 million copies that averages out to just $15.41 per book. If you take the total movie gross (roughly $4,485,500,000) and divide by the 250 million books sold for the first 5 you get $17.94. So, in case all these numbers are just confusing – the movies make more money than books…

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 06:39 PM report to moderator
BellaSnape

Wow, This is surprising! At least it is not Alan Rickman, I would Aveada Kedavra someone if he had to leave and if he chose to leave I would sit in silence the rest of my life. I was wondering if Jo, was ever going to make a cameo appearance this would be a cool opportunity. And yes Jason Issacs is very handsome. So is Alan though, IMO.

Posted by BellaSnape on November 11, 2008, 06:41 PM report to moderator
Tim

They don’t let me edit so I need to clarify that 4.5 billion is Box Office alone – not including DVD sales or rentals which tack on 100’s of millions of dollars.

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 06:41 PM report to moderator
Ashley

Is she even in DH?

Posted by Ashley on November 11, 2008, 06:44 PM report to moderator
emmy

@ Tim

So you judge the success of something only by the amount of money they make?

Posted by emmy on November 11, 2008, 06:45 PM report to moderator
Eeyore

Wow. I’ve always liked Emma Thompson, though she was never my image of Trelawney. However, I thought she captured the character well. Her remarks though, sound a bit snooty, and I didn’t think she was like that.

And Nanny McPhee was not her original creation. The books were written by someone else, and she has adapted them, so I find her comments a bit rich, and frankly, irritating.

Pat

Posted by Eeyore on November 11, 2008, 06:45 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Four fully grown, enormous, vicious-looking dragons were rearing onto their hind legs inside an enclosure fenced with thick planks of wood, roaring and snorting -- torrents of fire were shooting into the dark sky from their open, fanged mouths, fifty feet