Emma Thompson will NOT return as Professor Trelawney for Deathly Hallows films.

Thompson
November 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Actress Emma Thompson has given a new interview to MTV where she states she will NOT return in her role as Professor Trelawney for the remaining Harry Potter films. Instead she will be making a second Nanny McPhee film, noting "I’m making my own ‘Nanny McPhee’ next year. They mean much more to me.”
She continued:

“The Harry Potters are great big franchises that are something I’m not emotionally attached to or necessarily particularly creatively attached to,” Thompson explained. “That’s more like doing a turn, whereas the Nanny McPhees are something I’ve written. The art is in those films, they’re very handmade, they’re something that’s very close to me. Those are the ones I really care about.”

Thanks much to MTV for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

RRRRRRRRR!!!!

She should do what she wants to due put she not a major character, but one that adds so much to the story, i don’t why the two movies cant work together and set aside a 2-3 week period where she can do harry then go back to nanny, her deleted scene in GOF was sooo funny!

Posted by RRRRRRRRR!!!! on November 11, 2008, 07:41 PM report to moderator
Sarah

Aw, Emma… :(
she was a great Trelawney, I’m going to miss her in Deathly Hallows… I wonder if they’re cutting Trelawney out of the movie completely or just getting someone else to play her. If they find someone else, it’ll be weird all of a sudden having a new Trelawney… I won’t be able to stand it if they cut out her chucking crystal balls though :)

Posted by Sarah on November 11, 2008, 07:43 PM report to moderator
Mimblewimble

She does sound resentful. I’m fine with her decision, but it seems like she went out of her way to minimize the Potter films. Probably if she had as big a role in the Potter films as she has in Nanny McPhee, then the art would be in the Potter films…

Posted by Mimblewimble on November 11, 2008, 07:43 PM report to moderator
Tim

That’s true – however, let’s say they don’t fill her spot so now WB gets to sit on an extra 100k (or 200k or whatever the heck she was getting paid) – do you think WB is going to donate even 1 dime of that? I think it would make a great statement that, hopefully, would flow down to the rich actors that hey, ya know, we’re already insanely rich, we’ve got all the material possessions would could ever need – why not donate our salary to charity? I wish I made more so I could give more!

Posted by Tim on November 11, 2008, 07:48 PM report to moderator
silverstar

sad but understandable! Good luck on the new Nanny McPhee’s i say!

Posted by silverstar on November 11, 2008, 07:54 PM report to moderator
Crow Skyler

I think you guys are getting a bit blinded, here. She had no creative imput and basically said some lines and went home. Whereas with Nanny she wrote it and her heart and soul is in it. Duh, she’s going to pick her baby over the pure job. I’m going to miss her, but I want her to be happy doing something that she really enjoys, because Emma Thompson is a wonderful human being. I doubt Trelawney was going to get anything to do in the last two/three films anyway.

Posted by Crow Skyler on November 11, 2008, 07:55 PM report to moderator
Eric L.

Booooo! Well, that stinks. It would’ve been nice to have everybody for the final film. But you never know, something may change.

Posted by Eric L. on November 11, 2008, 07:55 PM report to moderator
PotterFan

Ouch!

Posted by PotterFan on November 11, 2008, 07:56 PM report to moderator
Phillip

i’m sad, but I can understand what her reasoning is. I really hope people don’t get too upset about this.

Posted by Phillip on November 11, 2008, 07:59 PM report to moderator
Photobrad

Wow… some really angry people here. Look, it’s the difference between a book/film that you yourself wrote and being in someone else’s creation. Yeah, we all love Harry Potter, but if it came down to being in Harry Potter and doing something YOU wrote/produced/starred in… what would you do? I loved Emma’s portrayal of Trelawney, but I’m sure they’ll find a capable replacement if indeed she has a role to play in DH. Good luck to Emma in her career and future endeavors!

Posted by Photobrad on November 11, 2008, 07:59 PM report to moderator
Mike

I’d understand her reasons for choosing Nanny over Potter if she really had to choose between the two. To me, I can’t understand why she can’t just do both. It’s not like her DH role would be very time consuming.

I also agree that she did seem to go out of her way to take a jab at HP when making her comments. I’d say that was uncalled for. There is art in the Harry Potter films, too.

Posted by Mike on November 11, 2008, 08:02 PM report to moderator
Carolynj

I know they replaced Dumbledore because they had to, but if they can do okay replacing such a HUGE role, then it should be no trouble at all to replace the Trelawney character with another actress. Ms. Thompson has probably had less than ten minutes of screen time in the entire series.
I loved her Nanny McPhee movie and am eager to see her new one.

Posted by Carolynj on November 11, 2008, 08:03 PM report to moderator
Photobrad

I can guarantee you Emma didn’t get paid $100,000 (much less $200,000) for any of her performances in HP to date, by the way. And she stands to earn a lot more than that for “Nanny McPhee #2.”

Posted by Photobrad on November 11, 2008, 08:03 PM report to moderator
muggle

Yeep di-doo!

Posted by muggle on November 11, 2008, 08:05 PM report to moderator
Thio

I like her as Trelawney, but I can see her point of view. It must be hugely more satisfying to her working with her own creation.

The only thing I’ll really miss from Trelawney in Deathly Hallows will be her shooting of cristal balls… and there is a chance the producers might get Neville to do that, as he always is the “Hey! We forgot to put in that character! Oh, let’s just use Neville” kind of guy.

Posted by Thio on November 11, 2008, 08:07 PM report to moderator

[i]That's what they should teach here,[/i] he thought, turning over onto his side, [i]how girls' brains work... it'd be more useful than Divination anyway...[/i]

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014