PotterCast Looking for Editors

PotterCast
Posted by: Melissa
November 19, 2008, 12:54 AM

Hey everyone: PotterCast is looking for some editors! Here's the rundown:

You need to be able to edit audio with multiple tracks (there are many programs with which to do this, like Soundtrack Pro; Audacity may be used but it is less desirable). You should have some ability in noise reduction (or at least a filter on your program to help). An editor also needs to be able to listen to the show for the few things in each episode that need to be cut out - John's bad jokes, strange audio artifacts, pauses in recording that occur when the hosts need to look something up/check a fact/use the restroom/tell John off, John's bad jokes, and so on.

If you're interesting in joining the ranks of the best audio editing team on the Leaky Cauldron, here's what you need to do:

We have put together a short sample for you to download and edit together; this is a bit of a dry run for what putting together segments from the show would actually be like. We all record separate tracks; we hit "record" at the same time as well as perform a count on the recording to establish proper sequence / avoid delays. This piece is seven minutes; it's the intro from show 167. You can download the four tracks here:

John
Frak
Sue
Melissa

Download the clips and edit them into one seven-minute conversation; then attach the finished product to an email and send it to staff@pottercast.com with the subject, "John - I want to edit PotterCast!" Include how long it took you to edit the show (be honest, we won't judge...OK, we will, but we're not telling you how long is normal, so there) and what program you used.

Thank you so much and we hope to be working with you soon!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent PotterCast News

Ali

I can edit video…

never tried audio

Posted by Ali on November 19, 2008, 09:13 AM report to moderator
Bandersnatch

LOL, Professor Potter. Very much LOL.

Posted by Bandersnatch on November 19, 2008, 09:49 AM report to moderator
elizabeth18

The real question is whether the best audio team on the Leaky Cauldron will have a magic board as fantastically exciting as the board of the best political team on television or be as funny as a the best political team on the – well – on the planet, let’s just say. ;)

Posted by elizabeth18 on November 19, 2008, 11:53 AM report to moderator
Stefan Mallows

I would be more than happy to be your sound editor :D
the only thing is i live in scotland would than make a difference???
please wb

Posted by Stefan Mallows on November 19, 2008, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Jessie

Holy crap, I’m so on this.

Posted by Jessie on November 19, 2008, 12:19 PM report to moderator
Alice

Is this likely to improve the sound quality? I wouldn’t even bother saying this if I didn’t love PC so much, but I’ve found the technical quality to be quite poor recently.

Posted by Alice on November 19, 2008, 12:34 PM report to moderator
Melissa

All right, Elizabeth totally wins for getting the vague joke.

Posted by Melissa on November 19, 2008, 04:07 PM report to moderator
HP_Appreciator

Alright, just downloaded the files and I´m off to the editing bay. You didn´t specify what kind of mix you woukd like, but I guess one sounding like Pottercast is okay. :) And btw, are there written guidelines or definitions on what qualifies as a “Bad John Joke”? ;)

Posted by HP_Appreciator on November 19, 2008, 04:18 PM report to moderator
Caracticus

Suggestion: time sync would be best done if one person counts “1 2 3” in a steady rythym, and then everyone says “FOUR” what they think is in beat with the first person saying it: that would be like a clapboard on every audio track going off at the same time and that can be synced up.

Posted by Caracticus on November 19, 2008, 06:20 PM report to moderator
Thio

Wow! Melissa left a comment here! That’s like having a celebrity visiting my home… :O

Posted by Thio on November 19, 2008, 07:32 PM report to moderator
LoonyLovegood

wat program do u ppl use? im jusrt wondering…i prob wouldnt be able 2 neway but…..

Posted by LoonyLovegood on November 19, 2008, 07:59 PM report to moderator
LV

Ahh, just sent mine in. It was really fun to do :) But I like editing anything.

Posted by LV on November 19, 2008, 08:04 PM report to moderator
Briana

LoonyLovegood – I use Audacity, but there are A LOT of different programs out there. I use Audacity because I have negative lots and lots of money and live on ramen. :D

Posted by Briana on November 19, 2008, 08:55 PM report to moderator
Thio

Briana,
Hmmmmm…. ramen!! ^^
Sometimes I wonder if Ron would have gotten away if Hermione had packed a load of ramen to the Horcruxes hunting trip…

…and yes, I know I have got to find better things to wonder about.

Posted by Thio on November 19, 2008, 09:49 PM report to moderator
Briana

Thio – I like to think that Hermione, on a whim, decides not to really cook and instead have cup ramen, then Ron, like his dad, has this intense fascination with it and have it for breakfast, lunch, tea-time, and supper. Hermione gets annoyed with it. xD

Posted by Briana on November 19, 2008, 10:14 PM report to moderator

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," said Dumbledore, "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured toward the Hufflepuffs, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all,

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014