Harry, A History Updates: New JKR Snippet and More

Harry, A History
Posted by: Melissa
November 21, 2008, 01:46 AM

A couple of quick updates: Harry, A History (which you can order here) will spend its second week on the NYT Bestseller list this week, so, thank you again! It's been really exciting, but I know there's more to come, so stay tuned. Second, I have added another vault entry to Harry, A History's web site, this time about Harry/Hermione and other shippy matters. By all means, have fun - it's certainly been earned - but please be nice. :)

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Harry, A History News

abhijit dande

congrats Mellisa…
1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by abhijit dande on November 21, 2008, 01:59 AM report to moderator
potterhead23

Haha, shipping wars :) I do feel a bit bad for her, with so many people telling her she has to do it their way and acting as if they own the story, which I could not stand if I ever were to write.

Posted by potterhead23 on November 21, 2008, 02:02 AM report to moderator
Jim

I hope, after having read Jo Rowling’s interview, the lies spread about what she actually said STOP. Harry and Hermione could have been together ( hey, Mike Tyson could have been a ballerina ), but that was never her intention and was never foreshadowed. She did what felt right for HER characters and I was someone who agreed with her.

Posted by Jim on November 21, 2008, 02:09 AM report to moderator
Char

I ordered your book Melissa – and got the phone call yesterday to say that it had now arrived (we still have a few days left before its official release date here in Australia) and I stayed up until the wee small hours this morning finishing the book. Brilliant Melissa!

You brought back my own personal memories visiting Leaky and reliving such a unique experience. Thank you.

Posted by Char on November 21, 2008, 02:48 AM report to moderator
ele0206

I agree with Jim: they are her charachters and it is HER who wrote the books (books I loved so much). And, you know, I really like the Hermione/Ron couple, and the Harry/Ginny one, so..
PS=sorry for the english, I’m italian

Posted by ele0206 on November 21, 2008, 04:47 AM report to moderator
Thio

I’ll have to wait for my copy of “Harry, a History” to know what this whole emerson thing was about. I read a bit of it in wikipedia.
But I agree… no one should tell the autor what to do.

Posted by Thio on November 21, 2008, 07:46 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

Jim, I LOVED the “mike tyson” comment! WAY too true. Melissa, you have written a masterpiece that, hopefully, will clear up some of the junk that’s come out of a lot of people. Maybe, they will understand more, of ‘Harry’ and Jo’s world. JO’S WORLD!

Posted by Confederate Lady on November 21, 2008, 08:04 AM report to moderator
~*Cynthia*~

wth Melissa?! You can’t take Obama’s #1 spot? ;)

I’m so proud of you, and our fandom :)

Posted by ~*Cynthia*~ on November 21, 2008, 09:20 AM report to moderator
Mom Weasley

Melissa, I am old enough to be your mom but, after reading your book, if I’d been in New York or you in Phoenix, we could have been fast friends in spite of the decades spanning our ages. Of course, that is the nature of the inhabitants of the Potterverse, because Harry is that special.

There was only one copy of your book in my nearest Barnes and Noble and I’m glad I nabbed it first. I bought the book without knowing anything about it, without having visited the website you set up for it. All I knew was that you’d written it, you and your friends provided me with TLC and TLC has provided me with a wonderful group of friends with a few silver highlights in their hair from all over the world. I bought it out of appreciation. I figured it would be a cute book about Leaky. I had no idea how much more it would prove to be.

You shine as both a writer and a wonderful person in these pages and helped us all remember the first time we opened the pages of Sorceror’s Stone (or Philosopher’s Stone). Harry: A History is now the only book allowed to reside on my special “Harry” shelf.

I thank you for this book and I thank all of you for Leaky.

Love,
jean (aka Mom Weasley)

Posted by Mom Weasley on November 21, 2008, 10:12 AM report to moderator
Bunney

Awesome! I’m reading the book right now and it really does bring back a lot of happy memories! Thanks, Melissa, for writing it!

Posted by Bunney on November 21, 2008, 10:45 AM report to moderator
ASPotter

I absoultely love this book. Must be why I read it twice!

Posted by ASPotter on November 21, 2008, 12:57 PM report to moderator
ele0206

does anyone know (melissa?) if Harry, a History will be published in Italy too? can’t wait! Otherwise, I’ll buy it in english, but it’ll be more difficult to me, I’m only 14 and I’m italian.

Posted by ele0206 on November 21, 2008, 05:01 PM report to moderator
ele0206

Posted by ele0206 on November 21, 2008, 05:01 PM report to moderator
Crown Victoria

Ive got my copy of Harry a History. I was shocked by what she revealed. I am very pleased that it ended up Harry/Ginny instead. Suits the story much much better.

In my opinion…the movies did a much better job of showing that it was Ron/Hermione from the beginning. There were clues at the end of Movie 2.Movvie three had some clues too. But by Movie 4, if you didnt get it, you were in Emmerson’s words “delusional”

Posted by Crown Victoria on November 21, 2008, 05:25 PM report to moderator
SueB

I’m in mid-read. It’s a great story and very well written. I normally eschew non-fiction as I need the mental breather that fiction provides. But your book has been a page turner for me. I’m fascinated by the bits of luck and personal determination of a few believers that turned this into a juggernaut.

I’m so glad you’ve gotten to write this book. I have no doubt it’ll be the definitive reference to the Harry Potter phenomenon.

Thanks for your effort.

So… book number two: what’s it going to be about?

Posted by SueB on November 21, 2008, 05:45 PM report to moderator

"Yeah, you've caused too much trouble, mate. Well, at least one of you's got their priorities right."[br]He strode over to Harry and clapped him on the back while giving Ron a scathing look.[br][i]"Prefect...[/i] ickle Ronnie the prefect..."