PotterCast 174: Ballious Repello

PotterCast
Posted by: Edward
November 25, 2008, 01:29 AM

The 174th episode of PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast is here for you today, ready to give you your super high-energy Harry Potter fix.  In the news this week, we have for you information on a new picture of Ginny Weasley from the Half-Blood Prince film, location scouting for Deathly Hallows, the call for LeakyCon Proposals now being open, the upcoming release for Beedle the Bard, the Wizard Rock EP Club, and the Harry Potter Alliance STAND Fast activities.  Bit by Bit comes up next with Chapter 17 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  In this segment, the PotterCasters continue on Harry's journey through Godric's Hollow after finding his parent's house.  This is followed by another edition of Beedle Talk, with a discussion of "The Tale of the Three Brothers."  The show wraps up with a some upcoming plans for the PotterCaster's YouTube channel and information on how to get your copy of Jingle Spells 2!  Do not wait to order, as the limited number of physical copies are going fast.  Finally, Melissa gives us an update on Harry, A History being on the New York Times Best Sellers list.  To listen, just hit the "Play" button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

“Ballious Repello

• Do Quidditch players use athletic supporters?
  • Frak kills the Quartet.
  • LeakyCon panels from the PotterCasters.
  • Hurry up and register for LeakyCon 2009 in Boston, Mass.
  • Have you read the latest Beedle the Bard fan fiction? Neither have we...
  • Beedle Talk on the Three Brothers.
  • A lesson on Parking and Standing Zone laws.
  • Order Jingle Spells 2 now!

RT: 86:23

Producer: John Noe
Editor: Andrew Garner

LeakyCon 2009: A Harry Potter Conference in Boston
“Harry, A History” Website
Jingle Spells 2
PotterCast Vlogs
Podcast Alley
Digg

Direct download (30 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (8 MB).

Remember you don't need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent PotterCast News

Kevin

YES. This is why I check leaky at 1:30 AM.
:P

Posted by Kevin on November 25, 2008, 01:39 AM report to moderator
Kevin

YES. This is why I check leaky at 1:30 AM.
:P

Posted by Kevin on November 25, 2008, 01:39 AM report to moderator
Amy Darlene

I can’t download it :(

Posted by Amy Darlene on November 25, 2008, 01:55 AM report to moderator
ravesfave

Ditto @ Kevin!

Posted by ravesfave on November 25, 2008, 02:22 AM report to moderator
ele0206

I have problems with my Itunes. In this PotterCast are there any news that weren’t wrote on the site? Sorry if there are grammar errors, I’m italian.

Posted by ele0206 on November 25, 2008, 04:35 AM report to moderator
ele0206

Incredible! I just saw the hour in which I posted. Only that here in Italy it’s 10.37 AM.

Posted by ele0206 on November 25, 2008, 04:38 AM report to moderator
Prenz

hey, I’m unable to download it…it’s showing an error 8006 message…is it just me or is anyone else having this problem? :-(

Posted by Prenz on November 25, 2008, 05:10 AM report to moderator
Neil in Scotland

Try again everyone! I just got it to download after an hour and a half of trying- it looks like it’s been fixed!

Posted by Neil in Scotland on November 25, 2008, 06:29 AM report to moderator
Joey

I heard all week that “Twilight” is a story that is as good as the “Harry Potter” story. It isn’t even close! “Twilight” is a romance Novel for crying out loud! I hate people comparing the two stories as if they were the same/they are not!
I would to hear your comments on this and if you Like “Twilight” or not.

Posted by Joey on November 25, 2008, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Strider

Sometimes I really want to be there when they do the bit by bit stuff, and they are asking themselves all these questions. There’s many times that I’m thinking, man you’re confused about this or wrong about that. For example: How did Dumbledore get the invisibility cloak? Their explanation is that because of the fidelious charm no one can get in the Potters house, so he must’ve gotten it before they put the fidelious charm on the house. It sounded like they assumed that when this charm is put on a house nobody can know where it is. That’s wrong. If the charm is put on a house, nobody can know where it is, unless the secret keeper, Wormtail in this case, tells someone where it is. The charm would not be broken, until apparently the secret keeper dies (that’s what appeared to have happened in DH, when Dumbledore died). Well my explanation is that Dumbledore knew where the house was and so visited the Potters regularly, and got the cloak while the house was under the charm. Sirius, and Hagrid also went to the house, just after the attack they were there. In OotP they show us how you get in on the secret of the fidelious charm, the secret keeper tells a person, and so you’re in. You don’t become the secret keeper, so you can’t spread the word. Ok now that I’ve said that, it does leave me with one question I really don’t get what happens with Grimauld Place in DH after Dumbledore dies. There seems to be a flaw in the theory of the fidelious charm. It would be to easy for people to get in on the secret of the charm. Just kill the secret keeper, and you get more secret keepers to get the secret out. What kind of fail safe is that? Just seems a little sloppy. Ok I think I’ve said enough about this… for now at least :)

Posted by Strider on November 25, 2008, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Strider

Oh and to John, Sue, Melissa and Frack,
You’re still doing a great job, or I wouldn’t keep on listening to the podcast. Just wish I could be there to discuss all the bits where people get confused.

Posted by Strider on November 25, 2008, 04:44 PM report to moderator
AM

I really just wanted to thank you guys about mentioning Darfur on the pottercast. I go to school in Canada, and there is a national student organization also called STAND (there is one in the US too), which I am a part of. It is such an important issue, and yet, it is rarely mentioned in the news and there are still so many people who have no idea what Darfur is, let alone what is happening there. It is great that the HP alliance is doing this fundraiser, and I really hope that everyone donates/tells others to donate. Such a little amount of money can go such a long way.

Thanks pottercast!!

Posted by AM on November 25, 2008, 05:00 PM report to moderator
Karen

I’m going to have to go back to my copy of POA (no problem there), but I’m pretty sure Sirius was the original Secret Keeper and the he switched with Wormtail.

And, there’s no mention in the book that the Potter’s performed the Fidelius Charm.

Soooo…. I’m pretty sure Frak is right!!!!

Posted by Karen on November 25, 2008, 05:01 PM report to moderator
Karen

I mean Frack!!

Posted by Karen on November 25, 2008, 05:01 PM report to moderator
roonwit

Karen: Sirius was going to be the secret keeper, but Sirius persuaded the Potters to make it Wormtail instead. So Dumbledore thought Sirius was going to be secret keeper, but Wormtail was the only actual secret keeper.

Posted by roonwit on November 25, 2008, 05:51 PM report to moderator

"Of course, we Seers have always been feared, always persecuted... It is -- alas -- our fate..."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014