Video Online of Mary GrandPre Exhibit in Iowa

GrandPre
December 10, 2008, 08:58 AM

Previously we told you there was an exhibit currently ongoing in Iowa featuring the art of Mary GrandPre, including pieces she created for the covers and chapter art found in the US Scholastic editions of the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling. There is now new video available here in our galleries, where the curator of the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art gives us a glimpse and new details on some of the featured pieces, including the original pencil sketch of the cover for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Daily Iowan reports: "We actually did shows about all of her career and the process at the same time," said museum curator Sean Ulmer about GrandPré, whose career began in the '80s, but she hasn't exhibited for a few years because of her busy schedule.

Readers will also recall we first showed you some photos from the exhibit, which includes new pieces all available here in our image galleries.

The Harry Potter and Beyond exhibit is ongoing at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art now until February 1, 2009. Thanks much, David!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent GrandPre News

Debbie

Great work by Ms GrandPre – Leaky is the only way we in the UK get to see her work so thanks for getting this video up on the site!

Posted by Debbie on December 10, 2008, 09:20 AM report to moderator
Professor Charms

Very cool! I checked out the video — it would be neat to see, up close, the cover art that was not selected for the books. In particular, it looks like the sketches of different ideas for Book 7 cover art are featured. Can you imagine if they had selected her cover art with the image of Harry walking into the forest with ghostly images of his parents? Wow…I’m trying to imagine what us fans would have made of that before the book came out. And I actually kind of like the idea of that cover art — it speaks more truly to one of the critical moments at the end of the book, in comparison to the cover art that was selected.

Posted by Professor Charms on December 10, 2008, 01:43 PM report to moderator
ravenclawguy1972

love her art work for the books, even though grand rapids Iowa is only about 4 yop 5 hours away i can’t afford to make the trip , wish it would come closer to where i live in nothwest minnesota

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 on December 10, 2008, 01:58 PM report to moderator
Maggie the red

I love the way her art work has gotten wistful. It’s beautiful.

Posted by Maggie the red on December 10, 2008, 02:12 PM report to moderator
Maggie the red

I love the way her art work has gotten wistful. It’s beautiful.

Posted by Maggie the red on December 10, 2008, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Grace

Gah! I wish I would’ve known… I’m like an Hour and a half to 2 hours from there…

Posted by Grace on December 10, 2008, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Jeff Zippe

I live in Cedar Rapids and have seen them in person. They are amazing works, and anyone who can see them, should see them. Also, the Museum of Art is having a Harry Potter day this Saturday, the 13th, from 11am – 3pm. I will be there in my Hufflepuff robes!

Posted by Jeff Zippe on December 11, 2008, 10:46 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Good call, it is so wistful! It is beautiful. I love the way she has matured Harry over the years, and I really appreciate how monstrous and inhuman she draws Voldemort. Dumbledore is the most wistful looking of the characters, I think. :) She is amazing.

Posted by Smitch on April 30, 2009, 12:31 PM report to moderator

"YOU CHEATING SCUM!" Lee Jordan was howling into the megaphone, dancing out of Professor McGonagall's reach. "YOU FILTHY, CHEATING, B --"[br]Professor McGonagall didn't even bother to tell him off. She was actually shaking her finger in Malfoy's direction