Golden Globe Nominations for Thompson, Gleeson, and Fiennes

Honors/Awards
Posted by: Edward
December 11, 2008, 07:24 PM

The nominations for the upcoming Golden Globe Awards were announced today, and a number of actors from the Harry Potter films were among those honored for their work in various film and television projects.  Actress Emma Thompson (Professor Trelawney) has been nominated in the category of Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical for her role in "Last Chance Harvey."  The category of Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture also included a nomination for actor Brendan Gleeson (Mad-Eye Moody) for his role in the film "In Bruges."  Additionally, actor Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort) has been nominated in two categories this year.  First, for his role in "The Dutchess" in the Best Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture, and also in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for his performance in "Bernard and Doris."

Brendan Gleeson, who commented on his first ever Golden Globe nomination in an interview with the BBC, noted his surprise by saying:

"It's a matter of total mystery to me how all of this happens... but it's absolutely fantastic that the film has a life."
The Golden Globe awards are slated to be handed out in Los Angeles, California on January 11, 2009 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.  Many congratulations to all!

Thanks Wendy.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Honors/Awards News

Ravenclaw from Glenn

In Bruges is a great movie. Kind of bloody and violent ( and for the record, the “F” word is used 127 times in 120 minutes – they have a count in the additional features on the DVD) – AND it has three Goblet of Fire actors in it: Brendon Gleeson (Mad-Eye), Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) and Clemence Poesy (Fleur). I hope it wins the Golden Globe!

Posted by Ravenclaw from Glenn on December 11, 2008, 09:31 PM report to moderator
Martha

I completely agree! In Bruges is a brilliant movie. If you haven’t seen it yet, go buy or rent it now. If it doesn’t win anything at the GGs, I will be seriously angry. And I would love Brendan Gleeson to win. He is amazing in that movie. He totally deserves it. And Ralph Fiennes is awesome in that movie too. I really hope In Bruges wins for best picture-comedy or musical (although it’s really more of a dramedy than a plain comedy) too, although I kind of doubt it will. That would make me so happy!!!!!

Posted by Martha on December 12, 2008, 12:16 AM report to moderator
LeAnne

Just got to say that I love Ralph Fiennes. What an excellent actor.

Posted by LeAnne on December 12, 2008, 01:23 PM report to moderator
beckett

I must say, if you haven’t seen Bernard and Doris, go see it. Want to see the great Ralph Fiennes in a very different role, this is the one to see! My company did all the commercials/promos for it and its a very different kind of role for him (and Susan Sarandon and terrific as well!!)

And the Duchess…Well…He doesn’t say much on when he’s on the screen but when he does you pretty much stop breathing because he’s so fantastic!

Posted by beckett on December 13, 2008, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Joey

I love In Bruges, i went to the cinema to see this. I hope Brendan wins!

Posted by Joey on December 13, 2008, 06:28 PM report to moderator
iamminerva

“Bernard and Doris” was pretty interesting. “In Bruges” was great! That telephone conversation between Brendan Gleason and Ralph Fiennes…hilarious! Ralph just cracked me up in this movie!

Posted by iamminerva on December 13, 2008, 10:59 PM report to moderator
czenema

Congratulation Emma ! :-)
I’m gonna keep my fingers cross….
(Hoping to see sometime the film, cause I don’t think they would show in Hungarians cinemas.)
Oh, I’m so happy she had a valuable film again… She is so Talented but neglected.

Posted by czenema on December 19, 2008, 09:40 AM report to moderator

"Good haul this year," he informed Harry through a cloud of paper. "Thanks for the Broom Compass, it's excellent, beats Hermione's -- she's got me a [i]homework planner --"[/i]

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014