Emma Watson Talks Acting, the Future, and Harry/Hermione in New Interview

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Edward
December 18, 2008, 09:52 PM

A new interview with Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) is online this evening which features the young actress answering fourteen questions from MovieFone.com.  Miss Watson, who is currently promoting her latest film, The Tales of Despereaux, spoke on a number of subjects during this interview including her experience working on an animated film, her Harry Potter co-stars Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory), life in the public eye, and about the relationship between the characters of Harry and Hermione.  When asked if she was disappointed a different relationship never developed between the two characters, Miss Watson notes that she felt is was "always obvious" that Harry and Hermione shared a pure friendship, saying in full:

No ... I mean, to me it was always obvious that their relationship was purely friends. It always felt to me that she was very mothering towards him. It just wouldn't be right. And I think that Ron and Hermione are so perfect for each other that I'm not disappointed. [Laughs] It's meant to be.
The interview also features talk of Goblet of Fire costar Robert Pattinson, who she notes "must be over the moon" about the recent Twilight success, and Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) who all continue to keep in touch between Potter films.  Finally, discussion turns to The Tales of Despereaux and her experience making this film.  In regards to any surprises she experienced in making an animated film, she relates:
It's so rewarding to be a part of -- I mean, this may just apply to 'Despereaux,' I don't know -- but it's incredible to be a character that is being created from animation, and to be involved in that way, and then go sit down in a theater and see something that is almost a complete surprise to you, in the way that it looks and ... it was amazing going to see it. I was just so happy with it -- I'm proud of it. To do so little and to produce something so amazing is quite incredible. It's very liberating, in a way, not to be worrying about your appearance, and just focusing on the voice.
The full interview can be read right here.

Thanks Andie.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

eruditewitch

I just love how she yet again says why Harry and Hermione would be a horrible couple.

Posted by eruditewitch on December 18, 2008, 09:59 PM report to moderator
givemesomeTLC

Great interview

Posted by givemesomeTLC on December 18, 2008, 10:17 PM report to moderator
AJWC1

THANK YOU, EMMA!!!

For putting that interviewer in their place about H/Hr!!!

R/Hr, the TRUE SHIP!!!!

Ohhh, that was fun. I kinda miss the shipping wars sometimes!!! Hehehehe…

Posted by AJWC1 on December 18, 2008, 10:24 PM report to moderator
Mora

So JK is silly,huh?girl,the shippers will have always their love for one couple no matter your opinion.I’m a huge H/G shipper but i hate when i read that only canon is real and other couples are crap.THE FANDOM IS FREE

Posted by Mora on December 18, 2008, 10:26 PM report to moderator
jenny

You go, Emma! I do enjoy Ron/Hermione (even though Harry/Ginny’s my favorite) and Emma is very right. They were “meant to be” :)

Posted by jenny on December 18, 2008, 11:05 PM report to moderator
obockstal

Great interview !
And read on till the last question… so true.

Posted by obockstal on December 18, 2008, 11:32 PM report to moderator
snoopy

Of course only canon “is real”. That’s why it’s called canon… and the rest is fanon.

Gotta love how Emma always makes Harry/Hermione (and Dan/Emma shippers, for some creepy people actually seem to ship celebs) shippers squirm uncomfortably with her truthful comments. And then they go back to la-la land pretending she never said anything. ;-)

Posted by snoopy on December 19, 2008, 01:09 AM report to moderator
Moody One

I just love her! She’s just so well spoken.

Posted by Moody One on December 19, 2008, 01:26 AM report to moderator
Jim

@snoopy : Couldn’t have put it better myself, so I won’t!

Posted by Jim on December 19, 2008, 02:00 AM report to moderator
Mora

Snoopy,ALL the shippers see their reality,if they want one"fandom"couple they should see something real.Canon ISN’T a law

Posted by Mora on December 19, 2008, 02:11 AM report to moderator
kitkat

I just hate her! By the way…Her voice work in the movie is crap. She did NOTHING different to her voice.

Posted by kitkat on December 19, 2008, 02:27 AM report to moderator
duyen

GO EMMA! YOU ROCK!

Posted by duyen on December 19, 2008, 02:41 AM report to moderator
chelsea

I didn’t really expect her to say anything bad about about the R/Hr ship. To do so would be tantamount to saying that JKR wrote bad romances. She must be tired of people hinting about Dan and emma getting on in the films through Harry and Hermione. Many people DO prefer that pairing and Emma saying they’re “meant to be” wouldn’t convince them…

Posted by chelsea on December 19, 2008, 02:50 AM report to moderator
Jim

No chelsea, she didn’t say anything bad about R/Hr because to her, and most people with just a little comprehension of Jo’s novels, it was obvious they should and would get together. I’m sure you and all the other delusionals will go to their graves believing otherwise but that’s your problem not Emma’s or Jo’s or anyone else with the capacity to resist ‘Hollywood Indoctrination’ – you know, lead male character must get together with lead female character.

Posted by Jim on December 19, 2008, 03:28 AM report to moderator
Jim

Oh and Mora your right, all shippers do see their reality – it’s just not contained in the seven Harry Potter novels written by J.K Rowling.

Posted by Jim on December 19, 2008, 03:33 AM report to moderator

"I -- well, I'm not going to pretend it didn't make a nice change, having a proper Care of Magical Creatures lesson for [br]once -- but I do want Hagrid back, of course I do!" Hermione added hastily, quailing under Harry's furious stare.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014