Leaky and PotterCast Present: "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" Fan Commentary

PotterCast
Posted by: Edward
December 02, 2008, 03:27 PM

It's time once again to get out your DVD players and join the PotterCasters as they provide you a fan DVD commentary, this time for the third film, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  Slide in your Prisoner of Azkaban DVD and enjoy as Melissa, Sue, John and Frak provide you with commentary and insights about the third film.  The commentary track is now available on our iTunes feed or as a direct download via this link.  We are also working on a PAL compatible version, which will be available soon.

You can download our other commentaries right here!

Here is a little ‘How-To’ on syncing this audio with the DVD film:

Follow these instructions to set up this podcast to play alongside your “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” DVD (which you will need to own):
1. Set up your DVD in your TV/computer/console/other player, and start to play the full-length feature film.
2. When the screen goes from BLUE to BLACK, hit PAUSE.
3. Start this audio track.
4. John will count down (“Three…two…one…click”): UNPAUSE your DVD when he says “click.”
5. Enjoy!
PAUSING:
As these are separate video/audio tracks playing simultaneously, pausing will pose a problem. If you pause the video first, and the audio second, unpause in the same order and you'll get close to the same synch.

Once again, you can download the audio track using direct download, and feel free to participate in PotterCast discussion right here on our Leaky Lounge.

Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent PotterCast News

Anita

Darn it! On the week, I’m most busiest. I’ll have to wait til next week…or even on Finals week.

Busy last 3 weeks of classes.

Posted by Anita on December 02, 2008, 04:38 PM report to moderator
katie

So when abouts can we expect the PAL?

Posted by katie on December 02, 2008, 04:41 PM report to moderator
Jennifer

So cool. I was just looking at the commentaries about an hour ago wondering when POA would be available. It is like you read my mind!

Posted by Jennifer on December 02, 2008, 04:45 PM report to moderator
Geekboy

How are the PAL versions different?

Posted by Geekboy on December 02, 2008, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Pomona

WHAAATTT
I’ve been waiting eons and eons! And now I’ve got too much work going on . . . I suppose I’ll have to wait a few weeks, SADLY.
It can be my Christmas present.

Posted by Pomona on December 02, 2008, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Bandersnatch

Dear PotterCast people,

Your instructions about pausing and unpausing say:

If you pause the video first, and the audio second, unpausing the audio first and video second will probably link you up pretty closely to the earlier synchronization.

I know that this is probably what you have said for each commentary track you have made so far, but it just occurred to me that it is not correct. Suppose you pause the video at 12m30s and the audio one second later at 12m31s. Your instructions say to unpause the audio first to get back in synch. But that’s wrong: if you unpause the audio one second before you unpause the video, then the video will start at 12m30s while the audio will be at 12m32s.

You definitely need to unpause the two tracks in the same order as you paused them. If you pause video then audio, you need to unpause video then audio. You may want to correct these instructions for future use.

Posted by Bandersnatch on December 02, 2008, 05:29 PM report to moderator
Valistia

OMG…been waiting for this forever!! Thank you Pottercasters!! =D

Posted by Valistia on December 02, 2008, 05:38 PM report to moderator
Arka

Finally! Now I get to spend my evening not doing homework like I should, but watching a movie and listening to you guys. And Frak’s first commentary!

Posted by Arka on December 02, 2008, 05:56 PM report to moderator
michaelabraham81

I take it John finally found his copy of POA!! YAY!!!!

Posted by michaelabraham81 on December 02, 2008, 06:34 PM report to moderator
creaothceann

Bandersnatch is correct, but it’s an easy error to make. ;)

Geekboy: NTSC has 30/100.1=29.97 frames per second, and PAL has 25 frames per second. That means that after some time, the NTSC commentary would no longer match the events on screen.

Posted by creaothceann on December 02, 2008, 06:48 PM report to moderator
Melissa

You guys are right; I’ve been meaning to correct that for a long time. All fixed!

Posted by Melissa on December 02, 2008, 06:51 PM report to moderator
llol

rose, what do u mean it being most people’s least fave? ive always heard it was everyones fave.

Posted by llol on December 02, 2008, 06:58 PM report to moderator
Nimbus xl

Word of warning folks. This commentary will only stay in sync with the NTSC (Region 1) version of Prisoner of Azkaban. That is the version designed to be played in North American DVD players. As mentioned above Pottercast is working on a version that will stay in sync with the European version of PoA. (PAL, Region 2)

Hopefully this will be really soon, I guess it’s just a case of precision adjusting the speed of the audio, you’ll hardly record a completly different track wil you?

Posted by Nimbus xl on December 02, 2008, 07:43 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

I’ve been jumping up and down ever since I saw this post. I enjoyed OOTP, but POA is easily my favorite HP film. The first scenes in HP films, like the first chapters in the HP books, are very important in setting the tone. I will never forget watching Aunt Marge take flight. It was hilarious! I also discovered Alfonso Cuaron through POA and I’ve become one of his biggest fans!

SQUEEEEEEEEEE!

Posted by KB Prez on December 02, 2008, 07:53 PM report to moderator
givemesomeTLC

hosts, you mentioned that you loved the new fat lady. I’m not sure if it was the actress in the first movie or these last few, but one of them passed on i believe. i may have read it from the site. just thought maybe you should know. :(

Posted by givemesomeTLC on December 02, 2008, 08:13 PM report to moderator

Harry knew that many of them preferred Professor Grubbly-Plank's lessons, and the worst of it was that a very small, unbiased part of him knew that they had good reason: Grubbly-Plank's idea of an interesting class was not one where there was a risk that