Jason Isaacs Talks Deathly Hallows, Lucius "Half-Blood Prince" Cameo, Politics, "Good" and More

Isaacs
December 30, 2008, 01:48 PM

Aintitcool.com has released a new, and very lengthy interview with actor Jason Isaacs. In this very indepth piece, Jason confirms again that he has a very small cameo as Lucius Malfoy in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ("a moving painting for a frame"). In this wide ranging, frank and often very engaging interview with this gracious actor, Jason Isaacs also comments on his past roles such as Tavington in the  Mel Gibson film The Patriot,  politics, working with Viggo Mortensen on his new film Good, remarking how he also enjoys fan sites and checking on the internet. Harry Potter is of course a topic, and Jason discusses his return as Lucius for the Deathly Hallows films. Full remarks on Potter as follows:

And then HARRY POTTER, it's been such an enormous part of my life for years now, and almost everything else I do, I knock myself out to try and make things real--I research them, I over-research them. I steep myself in it and torture myself at night trying to make something interesting and believable and human. But then you suddenly get handed a wand and full-length velvet cape, and you're sharing scenes with some of the biggest and best scene stealers who have ever lived. You really have to hit the ground running. To give that much joy to so many people and to have such a laugh doing it feels like an embarrassment of riches.

Capone: I know that Lucius is not in the sixth book, but I heard you might still make an appearance in THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE.

JI: I'm not in the sixth book, but I might be a moving painting for a frame. I'm not in the film essentially. Luckily they let me come and say hello to everyone for a day and put my costume on, but essentially I'm not in the film. Number Seven and Number Eight, no one has read the script yet. I've seen the book; I know I'm in the book. I would hope given they are making two films of it, all of my bits will make it in the movie. I wish they'd make 10 films out of it, are you kidding? First of all, here I am in Chicago, I'm shooting in Rhode Island, I'm off to Morocco, I very rarely get to sleep in my own bed and take my kids to school. So one of the great things about HARRY POTTER is that I get to live in England. Apart from that, who would not want to go and do that. Just to set in the makeup chair and look to my left and see Michael Gambon, look to my right and see Maggie Smith, or sit and hang out with Gary Oldman talking magic. I keep pinching myself.

I've been asked before, do you resent the fact that you're best known for that role. What a ridiculous question. I love the work on a lot of the jobs I do, particularly that one. Why would I mind? I don't even care about being known for anything. Most think I aspire to disappear into, but with HARRY POTTER, if you tell a kid you're in it, or even their parents, they light up. You can actually give a thrill to someone just by doing nothing. For a lazy person like me, that's a real treat.

Mild language caution to parents of younger children. Thanks so much to AintitCool, and to George!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs News

nicci

I love how much he loves doing these films. I don’t know loves it more Jason or Evanna???

Posted by nicci on December 30, 2008, 02:12 PM report to moderator
FireDragons321

Jason Isaacs is awesome! I like the comment about ten films.

Posted by FireDragons321 on December 30, 2008, 02:18 PM report to moderator
Celtise

@nicci : i’d say Evanna but with Jason not that far behind!

Posted by Celtise on December 30, 2008, 02:56 PM report to moderator
Marissa

Mr. Isaacs reminding us all yet again why he is so awesome. Cheers! :D

Posted by Marissa on December 30, 2008, 03:11 PM report to moderator
sl

Does he not seem like just the nicest, down to earth, guy?

Posted by sl on December 30, 2008, 03:43 PM report to moderator
H

Cool, I can’t wait to see Mr. Isaacs running through the school like a mad man during the last battle.

Posted by H on December 30, 2008, 04:00 PM report to moderator
Dumbledores man through and through!

I agree with sl and Celtise!

Posted by Dumbledores man through and through! on December 30, 2008, 04:08 PM report to moderator
Crown Victoria

I love to see actors and actresses loving what they are doing. You can tell Jason realy likes Hp and i like that. And hes actually read the books (coughGAMBONcough)

@nicci : Evanna definetly but Jason is like second

Posted by Crown Victoria on December 30, 2008, 05:51 PM report to moderator
BellaSnape

I cant wait to see him and Helen together as husband and wife. There will be something about that, I dont know what. Like Mr. and Mrs Doom. Or we finally will get a full insight as to where Draco gets it ALL from, both sides -mommy and daddy. I remember he said he looks forward to working with Helen McCrory too so, maybe that will show or make it easier. I have seen him in movies but never as playing a married person so I dont know how he plays someone with a wife, If its going to be Lucius Malfoy then Im overly intrigued. What the heck Lucius or Snape can have me any day. HA HA

Posted by BellaSnape on December 30, 2008, 05:52 PM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

What an amazing man! I smiled, just reading his comments….about everything! Yep, sl and Marissa….what an amazing person! Can’t wait [even if it IS "only a moving picture in a frame]!

Posted by Confederate Lady on December 30, 2008, 05:53 PM report to moderator
angela leighton

Narissa and .Lucius are great evil so is Bellatrix, it was Bellatrix that killed Sirius Black.

Posted by angela leighton on December 30, 2008, 05:58 PM report to moderator
kamion

Portrait!Lucius is only wihfull thinking by Jason Isaacs it sems.
but what a hell of an idea would it be to have him as a portrait play the part of Moaning Myrtle. I can imagine Draco familyproud enough to have a portariat of his father (and mother) on his nightstand. And have him cry his heart out in the bathrooms.
Let Lucius edge Draco on to be Man&Malfoy and continue on his quest, while Narcissa can beg and plead to take heed and confine in Snape. Lovely acttogether of the Malfoy family ( MCCRocy still has to earn her cudo’s and respect as Narcissa) and also a wordy compensation for stealing Shirley Henderson as Moaning Myrtle from us. ( I just rewatch GoF and boy do I love her in that scene)

Posted by kamion on December 30, 2008, 06:04 PM report to moderator
scurvy_cur

I always say this but I’ll say it again – I love how delighted he always is to be a part of the HP movies. For fans that has got to be the one thing we appreciate more than anything else right? I know it is for me anyway.

Posted by scurvy_cur on December 30, 2008, 06:41 PM report to moderator
David

to bella snape isaacs came out in friends with money opposite kathleen keener. he was awesome in that, married to her.

Posted by David on December 30, 2008, 07:41 PM report to moderator
porpy1

I think I like Jason Isaacs so much more now! And I really liked him a lot before. Here’s a dude who’s actually willing to TALK about his role. There’s nothing pretentious or aloof about the guy. (Malfoy, of course being the opposite) It kind of annoys me that Rickman doesn’t say a thing. I sometimes think he’s embarrassed by it. I know – I know, he’s trying to protect the kiddies who haven’t read the books yet. But heck, they’re not going to read his interviews before the books. But, that’s beside the point. Isaac’s awesome!

Posted by porpy1 on December 30, 2008, 10:49 PM report to moderator

The stranger was wearing an extremely shabby set of wizard's robes that had been darned in several places. He looked ill and exhausted. Though quite young, his light brown hair was flecked with gray.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014