Bridge Used in Potter Filming for Platform 9 3/4 to be destroyed by Muggles?

114

Mar 18, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

It would seem a landmark for Wizards and Muggles alike is under threat, as a new report says a bridge and clock at King’s Cross station in London, England may be removed as part of an expansion project. Update: In this ITN video (now available here in our galleries) you can see the bridge and clock area that is possibly to be removed as part of the renovation. This area, which was most recently seen in “Order of the Phoenix,” is all part of an area that is the site of thousands and thousands of visitors to the London train station . ITN is reporting that there is an effort afoot to save this area as the article says: “Architect and TV presenter Ptolemy Dean is leading the campaign to stop the bridge being destroyed. He said: “King’s Cross will lose its rather beautiful and lovely structure which characterises it’s views. It’s a a gateway to the north really and one feels very sad that it’s going. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the last book in the boy wizard series and features a chapter called King’s Cross, where a location resembling the station plays a significant role.The station is also featured in the epilogue of the same book, making it the final setting of the Harry Potter series.”

71 Responses to Bridge Used in Potter Filming for Platform 9 3/4 to be destroyed by Muggles?

Avatar Image says:

NOOO! cries thats part of our mythos and fandom history!!!

Avatar Image says:

Is there like a petition we could sign or something?

Avatar Image says:

Or create a human wall when they come to destroy it… ok never mind, that’s a bit extreme!

Avatar Image says:

Nooo! You can’t do that! You need our permission to do such a thing!

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOO! i wanna be there when harry sends off his children to hogwarts!!!

Avatar Image says:

They can’t do that! It’s so wrong!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Gah! Visiting that platform was one of the highlights of my Harry Potter sight seeing! What a shame it would be!

Avatar Image says:

Boo!! Where will we meet in 2017??

Avatar Image says:

No they cant do that! There destroing something that draws a huge amount of people. It was such a great thing to create and they want to get rid of it. Its not just a shame for the harry potter fans but also the wider comuninty because they are recking a beautful historic building. I have my picture of me infront of the platform in prized place on my wall :D

Avatar Image says:

Noooooo!!!!!!!! I want to visit it! I want to go and get Harry’s autograph when he sends his kids to school! I’ll sign a petition! I’ll write letters! We should march on the office of whoever is doing this!

It HAS to stay, I’m so looking forward to going in 2017! XD

Anyone up for a sit-in? >:-)

Avatar Image says:

I’m quite surprised they would do that—it’s a big tourist spot, thanks to the Potterverse and all.

(On a side note, I didn’t know anyone was named “Ptolemy” anymore. . . )

Avatar Image says:

what????? noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it can’t be!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe if they film the “King’s Cross” chapter and the Epilogue at the actual station, they would have to keep it. Not to mention, it would be bloody awesome!

Avatar Image says:

NO!!! Can’t we start a petition or something??

Avatar Image says:

Oh, hopefully not. At least it looks like there are going to be quite large efforts to save it. On a bit of a random note, the campaigning TV presenter is “Ptolemy Dean”? Woah, it sounds as if he is hailing straight from the Potter books themselves with such a name! Nice. Perhaps he’s been sent by a special wizard team to convince the muggles ;)

Avatar Image says:

Seriously, they cannot do this it’s so wrong on many levels.

Here’s a fan page on facebook to meet in 2017

Avatar Image says:

If Harry Potter fans worldwide really do something massive to stop that from happening, we could probably save it forever.

There’s loads of us, I reckon between us we could get that bridge safe with the best protection there is ¬pauses for cheesy effect¬ ..love.

xD Sorry, I couldn’t help slipping the love thing in. Still, I say we have the power to do something about it.

Avatar Image says:

We still can meet in 2017, since they’re not getting rid of the bit that says “Platform 9 3/4” or anything, but it’s still an important landmark in the building and Potter. We should fight for it.

Avatar Image says:

Oooooh! Noooo! They can’t do it, how else am I ever going to get to Hogwarts! It would be a top tourist destination for all Potter Fan’s. What are they stupid!

Avatar Image says:

I think Voldemort is taking over the Muggles. Thats it, wizards and witches! The war has begun…

NOOOOOO!!!

Avatar Image says:

Put it up for sale. Let somebody from the US buy it and set it up next to London Bridge in Arizona. At least it will still exist.

OR

BETTER IDEA…ask JKR to buy it and set it up in Scotland….

Avatar Image says:

they can’t do this!!it’s an outrage!!not when HP films r still being made!!it was filmed in ootp too-tht extra clip showed trio walking-bridge n sirius etc…king cross clock… can someone powerful do something?!! emma!!whr r ur parents?

Avatar Image says:

No!!!!!!!! They can’t do that. I have to get back there. When I was there last year I was (sadly) too tired to walk up the stairs. They have to give me another chance to get there!!!!!!!!!! I’ll sign anything to stop the horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Can’t they expand it somewhere else? =/

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Avatar Image says:

No! They can’t do this! We have to do something…HP fans united!!!!!!! We’re thousands of HP freaks I KNOW we can do something…but what?!

Avatar Image says:

In the words of a group, of the early to mid 70’s: “They’ve paved paradise and put up a parking lot” [well, maybe that’s a bit extream] If they’re anything like other developers [in the US], that’s what they’ll do…another ‘Trump Tower’ sounds like! EGAD! Not quite “urban sprawl” but close to it…Potterworld not withstanding! Its a doggon shame, if they get away with it.

Avatar Image says:

well ignoring harry potter (wait… hear me out!) its a georgious part of an otherwise pretty dull and characterless station. get rid of it and its just another ‘uniform’ part of london :(

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter aside..England is following America to closely in this destruction of its history…becoming modernized all over is nice but what about our past..yes we have a wonderful historical wealth but if we throw it away penny by penny we will soon have sod all left…what a shame they cant expand or build around…it really is a shame our historical railways are being eroded..

Avatar Image says:

they cant do that!!!!!!!!! that is sooooooooo wrong i cant believe it

your fellow Hufflepuff said nooo to distroying the bridge

Avatar Image says:

Dr Beeching’s ghost must be happy. It’s such a shame to destroy yet another part of the railway, and it’s history. Although it’ll probably end up in a museum somewhere.

I reckon if we could get a global campaign and sit in with people from all over the world then it’ll be a an international disgrace and someone will lose thier job over it and the plan will get scrapped.

Avatar Image says:

NOOOzors! Impossible! I don’t think the Brits themselves will let that happen. For me, I have the fiendish, touristy joy of having been there myself, and so therefore I say again, NOOOO!!!

Avatar Image says:

OH NOO! Please save it, Ptolemy Dean, pretty pretty please!!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh Nooooh! that’s not good.ilive far away from London and i always wished to see the place through Harry first set foot in wizarding world. they are sabotaging the precious place.stop them.

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for the pics Pardus. Just don’t let them touch it before next week. I have to have pictures. Ohhh, noooo!

Avatar Image says:

I think I know how some people feel as I remember when I first went to visit New york, top of my list of must see attractions was to see the grand staircase of Grand Central as seen in Untouchables and other films. How dissapointed I was to see it completely vanished. Britain is still a very heritage conscious country but the pressure is always to move with the times in modern architecture. However, there are still strict Heritage laws that all planners and architects must adhere to here in Britain. But some landmarks (or at least elements of) unfortunately do not fall under that protection and sadly it seems this goes for the Kings Cross station I think its time for the Ministry of Magic to intervene!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t be destroyed! That sucks! Strange, when I first read I headline I thought it meant they were changing the story in half blood prince so that the bridge in the movie was going to be destroyed by muggles! They’re hunting the wizards down!

Avatar Image says:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh… sacanagem… isso é um absurdo… mas com a tecnologia de hoje eles podem construir uma ponte nos efeitos especiais!

ahuahuahuha

Avatar Image says:

They wanted to tear down St. Pancras too. Look at it now. A few people banded together to save it. They want to tear down the “Leaky Cauldron” at the Borough Market also (where the bus dumps Harry & where Harry looks out at the market while the train goes by). Stop the madness!

Avatar Image says:

Here’s a thought: Contact Universal Studios in Florida, USA. Let them gently remove the bridge and clock so that they can be installed in the Harry Potter World under construction in Florida. Partially replicate Kings Cross Station with the Bridge and Clock as the entrance to the Harry Potter Park.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope not..Signing a petition is a good ideal… I would sign one in a heart beat…..

Avatar Image says:

Phoenix1946, NO! It should stay in King’s cross station, London. That’s the magic of it.

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOO!!! Don’t take the bridge away you dumb trols!

Avatar Image says:

Noooo!! They can’t do this! cries

Avatar Image says:

Noooo! They can’t do that!

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised Victorian structures like this aren’t Listed buildings…

Avatar Image says:

it IS Listed apparently, Grade 1 as well, but that hasn’t stopped them giving consent. Disgraceful!

by the way, did you know that the real entrance to 9 3/4 (as seen on film) is actually between platforms 5 and 6, because Jo forgot that platforms 9 and 10 are separated? Just found that bit of trivia!

Avatar Image says:

Do they say when they are planning to do it???

I am traveling Europe this summer and Kings cross is my first stop in London specifically to see this! I’m sure it wouldn’t be down by then if they decide to….right? Anyone know?

• Cries & Sobs.
Avatar Image says:
  • Cries & Sobs. NOOOOOOOOOOO !
Avatar Image says:

HOW COULD A BUNCH OF INCREDULOUSLY STUPID ACHITECTS EVEN THINK OF DOING THAT!!!!!!!

IF THEY EVEN START CONSTRUCTION, THEY WILL HAVE A HUGE HARRY POTTER UP RISING ON THEIR HANDS!

BLOODY STUPID GITS!

so ha!

Avatar Image says:

NOO!!! I haven’t even been able to go see it yet! NO! sob

Avatar Image says:

Is there some kind of petition we coould sign?? They can’t destroy it!!!!

Avatar Image says:

DON’T let them do this, Ptolemy!

Let’s keep London beautiful :)

Avatar Image says:

“Perhaps he’s been sent by a special wizard team to convince the muggles ;)” That’s hilarious. Porbably true as well!

Save the bridge and clock! They simply cannot demolish it. It is outrageous! grrr *gets wand out

Avatar Image says:

You’ve got to be kidding! But they cannot! Wha – we’ll save it. Nufink like a horde of psychotic Potterheads carping over a bridge … XD There’s no sort of petition or anything, is there? I

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOO!!! Dont do that please. It’s like monument, a symbol. We need to do something… sigh a petition, a human wall, something that can show our love for Harry Potter and all the things that have some relation with it. If i i live in England… (sorry my errors)

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOO!!!! It’s practically a relic now, and they need for filming the last book too. No no no!! Is there a petition or something we can sign to save it?

Avatar Image says:

I’m really, really angry at my parents for not naming me Ptolemy Dean.

Is the a PETITION we could SIGN, They CAN’T do this

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I haven’t been there yet! Please dont!

Avatar Image says:

Here’s what I don’t get. King’s Cross Station is a pit-hole. It’s snot-green Victorian workhouse facade and “temporary” fronting that has grown on it for close on 40 years are left alone and one of the few nice bits of it is to be torn down? Take the rest of the thing. Leave that.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think Jo was really travelling to King’s Cross when she first thought about Harry Potter. Trains from Manchester go into Euston, but that isn’t nearly as nice to look at as Kings Cross.

Avatar Image says:

Bring it to the U.S.? Are you mad? If the statue of liberty were in danger would you be please to have a wealthynation remove it and take it away forever???How arogant. we need to do something to keep it were it is!!! A petition is a great idea. If it simply MUST be moved, it should be moved to an appropriate place in the Scottish Highlands.

Avatar Image says:

ptolemydean.co.uk…..anyone want to help me contact him directly?? we could petition him and ask him to foreward it to the MP most able to help us.

Avatar Image says:

NOOOOOOO THIS IS RONGGGG HP FANS WILL BE CRUSHED AND SO WILL THE HISTORIC PART OF KINGS CROSS!

Avatar Image says:

am i the only one that thinks this is somewhat ridiculous?

we’re potter FANS not obsessed preservers of a non-existant world…

Avatar Image says:

they can NOT do that!!! I am really looking forward to going there one day and seeing the actual place where Harry stood!! (lol i kno…obsessive). i wiouls totally sign a petition to stop it. it’s a tourist attraction!!! they would lose a lot of $$ if they tore it down

Avatar Image says:

No freakin way!!!! They can’t do that! I say we all go and chain ourselves to it, and refuse to move.

Write a Reply or Comment