"Twilight" Author Stephenie Meyer Talks J. K. Rowling

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
April 10, 2008, 08:27 PM

In a new interview on MTV.com Stephenie Meyer, the author of the popular “Twilight” novels, discusses Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling along with the similarities she finds between the “Twilight” and “Harry Potter” series. While Mrs. Meyer notes she has not yet had the opportunity to meet her fellow author, she does say she “would love to sit down and talk with her.” She continues, noting the fact that while both series are hugely popular among younger readers, comparing one series to the other is something she finds difficult to do. She states:

“The interesting thing about the comparison is that I think you can compare my fans to her fans more easily [than me to her]. I do think that we both have people who are just really really enthusiastic, and will come miles to see you and be involved, and everybody really cares about our characters. But the [’Harry Potter’ and ‘Twilight’] stories are just so different.”

“J.K. Rowling’s audience is everybody, so that means we all have a piece of her audience,” Meyer laughed. “It’s terribly flattering to be compared to her, but there’s never going to be another J.K. Rowling; that’s a phenomenon that’s not gonna happen again.”

Finally, Mrs. Meyer goes on to talk more on topics she would like to speak with J. K. Rowling about if given the opportunity, including Jo’s thoughts of the Harry Potter films, her fans, and her experience of being a popular writer. As readers will remember, actor Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory) has been cast as leading man Edward Cullen in the upcoming “Twilight” film. All three previously released novels in the “Twilight” series are available for purchase in our Cauldron Shop.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Posted by Kerrie on April 15, 2008, 08:12 PM report to moderator
e
Posted by e on April 15, 2008, 09:56 PM report to moderator
Katie C
Posted by Katie C on April 23, 2008, 01:55 AM report to moderator
Sarah V.

Can I just say thank you to Stephanie for addressing this????

Now, first of all, I am a relatively new Twilighter (but I have read all the books…). If you stick with them (and, I know, it’s sometimes hard…) they’re GOOD. There are some preciously adorable or utterly hilarious moments that can be found if you read it.

I haven’t read all the comments, but from what I’ve seen, people are complaining that Twilight is a “teen romance novel” with “very little plot.” Again, true (at least for the first three books, BREAKING DAWN is my personal fave in the series _. There’s some plot tension there), but that’s the nature of the archetype. If you’re not a romance fan, don’t read them.

Now, all that being said, JKR’s writing is 3876439634829039543 times better than Stephanie’s… there is NO comparison, and HP is still at the top of my list! >_<

Posted by Sarah V. on October 14, 2008, 03:33 AM report to moderator
Yamilet

Hi, I’m a huge fan of Harry Potter, and lets be honest, nothing will compare to it. However after a lot of pressure I got from my friends that I should read Twiligh, well did, and I have to admit is good, but not as good as Harry Potter.

Posted by Yamilet on October 23, 2008, 06:22 PM report to moderator
Descartes

Ya, you can’t compare literary genius to garbage, it just doesn’t work. Plot complexity doesn’t make for good writing, character complexity does. Purple prose doesn’t mean a story is well written, ease in understanding does. Rowling makes a moral point in the same vein as Mark Twain, or Charles Dickens. Meyer’s isn’t a good author, Rowling is. End of story.

Posted by Descartes on October 30, 2008, 04:35 AM report to moderator
hodgepodge

i reserved my comments until i have actually read the book.
what got me reading twilight was the tagling they used for the movie saying that it is “the hottest book since harry potter”…I, being a harry potter fan, got really curious and so i started looking for the books (they are actually sold out, good thing my friend had a copy).

Honestly, Twilight is in the same league as the Sweet Valley High vampire series that i read back in grade school. i was even thinking that francine pascal wrote hers better than ms.meyer….

it was painful, reading through Bella’s droolings about Edward Cullen…i can’t count how many times i rolled my eyes while reading… lines like edward “smiling his crooked smile that i really love” almost made me throw up!

the characters are hollow with paper-thin personalities…two-dimensional and really shallow…bella is motivated by her obsession with this really hot vampire, she is even ready to give up her humanity and her family all for the sake of what she calls “love”…

don’t even start comparing it with Harry Potter.
twilight’s cover is cool though. lol!

Posted by hodgepodge on November 01, 2008, 10:25 PM report to moderator

"He left her and returned to his Muggle parents before I was ever born, Potter, and she died giving birth to me, leaving me to be raised in a Muggle orphanage... but I vowed to find him... I revenged myself upon him, that fool who gave me his name... [i]T

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014