"Twilight" Author Stephenie Meyer Talks J. K. Rowling

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
April 10, 2008, 08:27 PM

In a new interview on MTV.com Stephenie Meyer, the author of the popular “Twilight” novels, discusses Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling along with the similarities she finds between the “Twilight” and “Harry Potter” series. While Mrs. Meyer notes she has not yet had the opportunity to meet her fellow author, she does say she “would love to sit down and talk with her.” She continues, noting the fact that while both series are hugely popular among younger readers, comparing one series to the other is something she finds difficult to do. She states:

“The interesting thing about the comparison is that I think you can compare my fans to her fans more easily [than me to her]. I do think that we both have people who are just really really enthusiastic, and will come miles to see you and be involved, and everybody really cares about our characters. But the [’Harry Potter’ and ‘Twilight’] stories are just so different.”

“J.K. Rowling’s audience is everybody, so that means we all have a piece of her audience,” Meyer laughed. “It’s terribly flattering to be compared to her, but there’s never going to be another J.K. Rowling; that’s a phenomenon that’s not gonna happen again.”

Finally, Mrs. Meyer goes on to talk more on topics she would like to speak with J. K. Rowling about if given the opportunity, including Jo’s thoughts of the Harry Potter films, her fans, and her experience of being a popular writer. As readers will remember, actor Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory) has been cast as leading man Edward Cullen in the upcoming “Twilight” film. All three previously released novels in the “Twilight” series are available for purchase in our Cauldron Shop.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

edwards girl

twilight is the very best book that i have ever read. i’m not one of those people who just sit around reading books all the time. but when my friends recommened me to read it i did and that was the fastest that i ever read a book especially that long. but i fell in love with ther books so if you have read twilight than you should defalently read the next and all of them for that fact lol lol

Posted by edwards girl on November 12, 2008, 09:31 PM report to moderator
u

Hm.. was getting geared up to read some Twilight but I’ve been put off it. I’ve steered clear of romance for a long time and I don’t plan to begin now..

Posted by u on November 24, 2008, 11:04 AM report to moderator
TwiHater

Twilight is mindless fluff with no plot. It is loaded with purple prose and is merely a self-insert novel. Edward is an abusive stalker and none of Meyers characters have a personality outside of their love lives (except Jacob, who was ruined in Breaking Dawn). I have read all four and hated all four. Harry Potter is a complex and well thought out series that hardly has even one flat character. Each character has personalities and flaws- Rowling never attempted to make a “perfect” character (Meyer tried, but failed). Nearly every detail to Harry Potter was important and Harry Potter had a PLOT as well. Twilight fans usually only like Twilight either because they’re helpless romantics or because Edward, Jacob, etc is “SOOOOOO HAWT!!!!!!!!” Harry Potter will remain a phenomenon and will capture the hearts of children and adults forever. It will never end. Twilight will be forgotten in a few years, and when it is long gone, people like me with good literary views will celebrate.

Posted by TwiHater on December 14, 2008, 02:06 PM report to moderator
Sarah

OH MY GOD you can not even BEGIN to compare smeyer to Jo. WOW that’s is like the biggest insult to Jo i have ever seen. Stephenie Meyer is a horrible author. HORRIBLE. It doesn’t take much to come up with a great idea for a story so that doesn’t make her a great writer. She
s HORRIBLE at characterization, HORRIBLE at story progression… need I go on? Don’t even get me STARTED on her last book.

Rowling runs circles around Meyer.

Posted by Sarah on December 24, 2008, 04:12 PM report to moderator
Lulu

Well I happen to like them, I have a little bit of New Moon to read and then I am looking forward to reading Eclipse. People seem to either love or hate these books. Bella’s been criticized for being weak but I see her as a realistic character, she’s clumsy, shy, can be reckless, indecisive, I think it’s funny how accident prone she is. And Edward is just a great character, he can be so snarling and bitter and then so caring. I was annoyed at Edward through when he kind of dumped Bella and then the Cullens just disappeared and I was like, what the hell?! To protect her? James was dead so she was in no danger from him…the only danger now was Victoria, so you’d think they would keep Bella close to protect her, now abandon her? but she didn’t seem angry… and finally in New Moon when Alice and Bella go to Italy to save Edward…there is no angry reaction. The lack of Edward in New Moon is the main annoyance and when Bella started thinking about romantic possibilities with Jacob and no longer loved him like a brother, but he kept her warm, etc, he was her ‘safe harbour’… grr. How very convenient.

I think the fanbase is getting big and will be similar to Harry Potter in that respect…some people say how its an insult for Twilight to be compared to Harry Potter. I don’t, there was something about Twilight that holds you and its very page turning, I couldn’t put it down personally. Same with Harry Potter. As the writer said, she didn’t think it was anywhere near the same brilliance as Harry Potter…and that no books will ever be as good, so if books like hers end up being very good reads, but not phenonmal like Harry Potter, then that’s really good. It’s like saying nothing compares to Harry Potter, but some can come close. The only thing about Harry Potter that was off, in my opinion, was the romance. Wheras Twilight is all about romance, and I understand Harry Potter couldn’t be too focused on that, because it was about ending Voldemort but to me Harry/Ginny was very fake and strained. For the majority to the books she’s quite, shy, non-existent..background character and then in Order of the Phoenix she is suddenly popular, athletic, good at Quidditch, pretty, etc, and suddenly talkative and outgoing.
And poor Ron/Hermione shippers, getting to THAT point for them was a bit of an afterthought, where their first kiss is at the end of the series. I love Harry Potter though, and Twilight is very good too. People should read it. Edward Cullen is the sexiest vampire there ever was, who drives a stupid, silver, Volvo.

Posted by Lulu on December 26, 2008, 02:19 AM report to moderator
Teressa

I don’t actually understand how can someone compare these two books. Ok, they’re both REALLY famous but there’s other books famous as well. And don’t tell me it’s because the main character in Twilight is played by Robert Pattinson which also played Cedric Diggory. I personally prefer Twilight, you can say I am the crazy teen girl who dreams about the amazing Edward. I also read some of Harry Potter books but even if I didn’t I know what it is about. Gosh who doesn’t after all the movies and stuff. The topics of those two books are ABSOLUTELY different I can’t see one similar thing. So why the hell everybody compares it all the time? I think it just makes no sense. Does anybody compares for example Britney Spears to Metalica?

Posted by Teressa on December 28, 2008, 04:20 PM report to moderator
jaMIE

i went on a 5k (3.1 miles) once and brought along my trusty shuffle to keep my mind busy. what was on it?? but eclipse! unfortunately tho, it was the chapter where jacob and bella talk (again) about his werewolf-iness and “imprinting.” i had to pick the most BORING chapter to run to! and then it hit me.. they’re ALL boring. ohh, duh, how could i not have seen it coming??
at least steph understands that she cannot and WILL NOT become the next jkr..if only her cult fans would listen…

Posted by jaMIE on December 29, 2008, 11:31 AM report to moderator
Amelia

The Twilight books were good. Guilty pleasure reading that made me laugh and grimace in all the right parts, but they were, well, repetitive and entirely predictable. Don’t get me wrong, I liked them, and they were better than a lot of other books, but after the way people talked about them, they were a bit of a disappointment.
Harry Potter, on the other hand, was brilliant. Thank you, Stephanie, for having the grace to say so.
I agree with what some earlier person said:
Twilight got popular because fans needed a new way to fill the gap that Harry Potter had left. Twilight could never have survived if Harry Potter hadn’t preceded it. A

Posted by Amelia on January 10, 2009, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Amelia

Whoops, got cut off there.
Anyway,
Harry Potter proved to the world that teens could and would read material over 600 pages of our own accord. This was monumental, and, without it, Twilight could never have existed.

THANK YOU JKR, YOU ARE BRILLIANT!

Posted by Amelia on January 10, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator
katelyn

actually.,harry potter and twilight is the most wonderful series.,,

Posted by katelyn on January 13, 2009, 06:17 AM report to moderator
Alice

I love Stephenie Meyer and her books.

Never seen a book soooooo beautifull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(and the books shouldnt be compared)
And I personnaly think that Stephenie Meyer doesnt want to steal J.K. ideas

Posted by Alice on January 22, 2009, 09:40 AM report to moderator
Jane

I love the twilight books. And.. I love Stephenie Meyer. But.. NO ONE WILL EVER REPLACE J.K.ROWLING!!!!!!!!!! J.K.Rowling is the most talented writer out there!!! She is the best of the best!

Posted by Jane on January 26, 2009, 06:53 PM report to moderator
Danielle

Now dont get me wrong, i really like Twilight, but nothing, i repeat nothing, can compare to Harry Potter ! Usually people are telling me that i cant love both, but they are both really good reads and so addicting though. But without a doubt, if i could only choose one, its HARRY POTTER ALL THE WAY ! ♥

Posted by Danielle on January 28, 2009, 12:58 AM report to moderator
Renesmee_thumb

twilight is not realistic. every MAIN character is good-looking and can do no wrong. edward’s an image of the perfect (appearance-wise) male, and frankly i think it’s absolute crap. vampires aren’t supposed to be girly little buggers who are too pretentious for their own good. they don’t even have FANGS for christ’s sake. the whole series is too superficial and bella’s an effing idiot. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are a much better comparison. god. thinking about twilight pisses me off.

long live Harry Potter ! ! ! !

Posted by QueenOfPoo on April 05, 2009, 02:52 PM report to moderator
Renesmee_thumb

Actually, Stephenie Meyer compares her books to Romeo and Juliet and Wuthering Heights (I forget where she said this but if anyone wants to know, go to www.twilightsucks.com) and says her love story is better… NO. Usually, she’s very stuck-up about herself. A girl once drove two hours to her book signing, wait some more hours to ask her how she feels about writing a sexist novel and Meyer thought she was odd for taking so much time to do all of that for a book she hated. If her book was racist and people still liked it and this girl asked her the same question, Meyer would have another answer. Is sexism less important than racism or something? (Again, go to www.twilightsucks.com to find this stuff).

Posted by QueenOfPoo on May 08, 2009, 03:56 PM report to moderator

"That power also saved you from possession by Voldemort, because he could not bear to reside in a body so full of the force he detests. In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014