Support Harry: Read Banned Books

112

Sep 29, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

It’s Banned Books Week, a special time for us at Leaky as Harry Potter fans, as for most of the last decade Harry has been among the most challenged books published. It remains one of the most opposed stories in history, and shares company with Toni Morrison’s Beloved, Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, J.D. Salinger’s Catcher in the Rye and other treasures; and the list of challenged books doesn’t stop at acclaimed literary fiction: even the undeniably innocuous Where’s Waldo has earned a spot.

A book is challenged when a community member raises objections to the book being made available publicly, such as at public libraries and schools, and comprises nothing more or less than an actual challenge to free speech. You can read more about this at The American Library Association’s Web site. To show your support for Banned Books Week, read a banned book, display an image of support, and tell people why it’s important to support the right to read whatever you like. You can get images from the ALA press kit here, and find suggestions from the ALA on how to celebrate this event here.

55 Responses to Support Harry: Read Banned Books

Avatar Image says:

Interesting that people cannot share their life experiences, or even how wonderful and creative they are, without people making a big fuss over it. I think I’ll re-read Beloved next, as I’m already re-reading HBP.

First comment, yay!

Avatar Image says:

Its funny how people insist on telling others what to do and yet greatly protest when rights they care about are challenged.

Avatar Image says:

Im kinda confused…...wats goin on??

Avatar Image says:

I don’t need this Banned Book week to read HP. I read it anyways.

Avatar Image says:

Such a wonderful excuse to read!

Avatar Image says:

“Land of the free”??? That statement becomes a challenge, in itself, when people start banning children’s books….’Where’s Waldo’? What next? ‘Winnie the Pooh’ or ‘Alice In Wonderland’? It’s a good time to read some of the other “banned books”...’I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings’ and ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ come to mind! We already know how “horribly harmful to children” Harry Potter is! [my son read it, in his 4th grade “silent reading” class!]

Avatar Image says:

Oh I’m so glad Leaky is supporting Banned Books Week! :) This is one of my favorite advocacy weeks, it’s so important to celebrate our first amendment right to read anything and everything!

Avatar Image says:

i think that it is so stupid that these politicans or parents or whoever bans books sit there and tell you that HP is bad or for gods sake Shel silverstine is bad for kids, seriously harry potter is encouraging witch craft? okay what year is this 1762? are they goigng to start burning us on the stake. and wheres’s waldo yes everytime a kid reads that book they go and do some horrific, hanus crime.FREKING IDIOTS.

Avatar Image says:

Yay, banned books week. Too bad I won’t be reading anything until after my thesis paper for philosophy is done :(

As to “Where’s Waldo,” if anyone was wondering, it has been challenged because on one page there is a topless woman lying on her stomach sunbathing. Siriusly, that’s the only reason.

Avatar Image says:

Yes!!!! This week is right up there with Christmas break week for me!!! Enjoy your rights as a human being and read whatever the heck you want!!! Enjoy it!!!!

Avatar Image says:

My Mother encouraged me to read from an early age and I’m very happy she did. I’m also very proud to say that I’ve read “Catcher in the Rye”, “Beloved”, “I know Why The Caged Bird Sings”, and all of the Harry Potter books.

Banning books is totally weird to me.

Avatar Image says:

Siriusly, with everything else that’s going on in the world at the moment, these people have the time & brainpower to be worried about a few books!!! Wow, they really do need to get off THEIR high horses & give people the freedom to make their own decisions about what’s right & what’s wrong. I’ve not heard this must ** in a long time!!

Avatar Image says:

Yay Banned Books Week! Stick it to the crazies! Does anyone else find it completely crazy yet sad and funny that almost always the people who want to ban books have never even read the books in question? I read almost all of the books on these lists as a kid and I firmly believe that doing so has made me a better and more open-minded person as opposed to… whatever it is these people think these books will do to you. And while I may have quite the foul mouth I can honestly say that it is definitely not due to the books I read. Seriously people, Where’s Waldo?

Avatar Image says:

Seriously? Where’s Waldo? How is it objectionable?

Avatar Image says:

I love banned books. The reason they become banned it that they cause people to have to look at subjects which threaten their beliefs. It is good for all of us to look at our values and revise them frequently.

Avatar Image says:

Banning something just makes people want to read it more! So ban away!

Avatar Image says:

Jo needs to write some more books so they can get banned too, then I can read them too. ;-)

i already read 90 percent of those!!! :D

Avatar Image says:

Finally, someone has realized the horrible impact that ‘Where’s Waldo’ is having on our society. I can’t tell you the number of families shattered due to the evil influence of Where’s Waldo.

Everyday the number of kids who disappear in public places inviting their friends to climb up to the tallest building in order to find them grows.

Since the debut of Where’s Waldo, people have been buying up red and white striped shirts to dress up just like him. This kept red and white striped shirts out of the hands of the people that truly need them. Countless Mimes, Candy Striper Volunteers, and Barber Shop Quartets are left shirtless and out of job.

Furthermore, the number heat stroke incidents brought about by wearing toboggans in warm weather is also on the rise.

Please stop the insanity, and stop the backpacked, bespectacled menace from ruining society.

Avatar Image says:

OK, when people start banning “Where’s Waldo”, thats when you know they ought to be put in a mental institution.

Banning HP? What do they think is going to happen, kids are going to start running around, cruciating people?? Really, do they still believe in the Tooth Fairy?

FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!

Avatar Image says:

Waldo is evil. Those white and red stripes remind me of my innate desire to assassinate goats…. Plus, those glasses are sexy. ......(?) .......drifts off to re-read DH

Now seriously. There’s yet to appear someone i remotely know of, that listens to these people when they give one of their ideas to society. Nobody is born with the right of telling people what to do and how, and no, you cannot get that right through life either.

Avatar Image says:

I could understand such things as categorizing books by genre and reading level (though I am against categorizing into reading level), but I just cannot comprehend how in today’s society we can still accept such concepts as banning books. Art is art, creative freedom is to be respected. If you don’t like a book don’t read it, but it’s a personal desition; banning books is immoral and it deprives people of their right to chose according to their personal preference.

GO HARRY POTTER!!

P.S: Go to http://www.podcastawards.com/ and nominate PotterCast for the Podcast Awards! Quick! Nominations end tomorrow at midnight!

Avatar Image says:

I wish I could read a banned book for fun this week. Unfortunetely all that I will be reading is accounting and finance texts (which I personally want to ban somedays at 3AM ;)) Maybe I will get my son to read potter!

Avatar Image says:

Well this works out perfectly since I just started reading Chamber of Secrets again :)

Avatar Image says:

lol, the laughing Man : )

Personally, I find it sad that people ban books. My own father (who, as I constantly remind him, hasn’t even read Harry Potter) absolutely refuses to accept Harry Potter as ‘appropiate’ literature just because some wacky people who also haven’t even read Potter think they can play king and order people around. (yes, I know this is a run-on sentence)

Avatar Image says:

One of the most banned books last year was His Dark Materials. What I find funny is that the protestors who threatened to boycott The Golden Compass film were doing exactly what the books denounced: oppression and censorship.

Avatar Image says:

Remember that one of the candidates for major political office this November tried to have the HP books, as well as many others, pulled from the shelves of the library of the town SHE was mayor of, then tried to fire the librarian who wouldn’t comply. Not that I’m naming any names.

Avatar Image says:

Applause to the laughing Man!!!!

May banned books flourish forever (especially HP)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Literature and music are two places where you should be able to express yourself without worrying what people think.

this sounds awesome!

Avatar Image says:

I remember hearing about books that had been banned when I was a kid and thinking how ridiculous that was. I was allowed to read anything that was “literature” in my house.

I spent 2 summers with a banned book list reading all the books on that list and trying to figure out what all the fuss was about. Everyone should have their own banned book list to read, discuss the books with others and enjoy literature, your life will be better for it.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve read most of those books, they’re great! (esspecially where’s waldo, lol.) I really think the only time books should be banned is if they are actually dangerous, like. .. the Monster Book of Monsters. Ha ha. I wish that actually existed. . .they would need to sell it in the pet store though. . .

Avatar Image says:

Although many times it is Christians who have banned books, it’s worth noting that the Bible itself has also been banned in many places throughout the centuries, and still is today.

First comment, yay! Posted by ravesfave on September 29, 2008 @ 02:06 PM

Avatar Image says:

i def read catcher in the rye at school, which is weird because it is catholic! you would think that it would be banned here of all places, but then again i guess we read some sketchy things in english. i didnt even think about it being outrageous as i read it

Avatar Image says:

You do realize you can actually read any of these banned books at any time as long as you can find it right?

Although I’m an advocate of free speech, I don’t think every person/organization etc that tries to ban a book has some evil design in mind to supress artistic expression. Some people feel that there shouldn’t be widespread availability of things, especially to children, that are questionable on moral grounds.

Banning something might not be the smartest approach to controlling the information your children are exposed to, but to say that all people who want to ban something are evil is ridiculous on its face.

Reading this has given me a few chuckles though. People grossly misspelling words and then calling others idiots is classic, classic stuff.

Avatar Image says:

Is “Where’s Waldo” the same as “Where’s Wally”?

Avatar Image says:

Is “Where’s Waldo” the same as Where’s Wally”?

Avatar Image says:

Did you know that Sarah Palin tried to ban some books, including the Harry Potter books? Thy’re having a banned books reading in Philadelphia this week. I’m going.

Avatar Image says:

There is nothing more stupid than a “yay, first post” comment when it actually isn’t. Posted by rose on September 29, 2008 @ 06:59 PM

Uh, Rose? Ravesfave actually had posted the first comment, and it really was a comment to the article instead of a random “yay first post” blurb that we sometimes see. But yes, in general I agree with you that the random first post comments that don’t comment on the article leave something to be desired. . . not to mention those (thankfully didn’t happen on this article) which proclaim first post when they’re actually 5th, or 10th. . .

And ‘ear ‘ear for all the HP support!!!! Banned books = food for thought!! Time for a DH reread. . .

Avatar Image says:

Actually, Palin didn’t try to ban some of these books or any books.

She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a “What if?” question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin’s first term.

Avatar Image says:

Methinks I shall reread “To Kill A Mockingbird” soon. Because it’s not like that book has to do with fighting against racial prejudice, or anything like that. Then I’ll look at that scandalous “Where’s Waldo?” ;-)

Avatar Image says:

Um- Where’s Waldo? Yikes. I’ve been celebrating Banned Books Week the way I do every year- by reading banned books, of course. Especially those by our favorite author. Perhaps I should stick it to the man and find Waldo as well. : )

Avatar Image says:

catcher in the rye i would ban with delight!

Avatar Image says:

where’s waldo? as in where’s sally? that’s stupid, it’s a fun book that keeps kids entertains for hours tryna find the right guy! geeeeez!! we have it in libraries here.. everyones had a book of it at some time in there lives!

Avatar Image says:

And they say gen-xers have a false sense of entitlement. What’s worse, they blame it on Mr Rogers.

Avatar Image says:

“Banning books sounds ridiculous. It must be an American thing because I’ve never heard it being done in any other country.”

Actually, helena123, it’s not an American country. Numerous countries have banned numerous books over the years.

Avatar Image says:

Well yeah I know that. But I meant it more like western world, 21st century… I don’t know. I’m from Finland and I’ve never heard of banning books.

Avatar Image says:

Books are not banned by law in western countries including the united states

In other areas however ….

Just try bringing any bibles to certain places

Avatar Image says:

A small clarification: not all these books have been banned everywhere, or anywhere. A few have tried, have tried often, and have failed. The majority of us readers (and library lovers!) are level-headed supporters of the discussion of ideas, which never go away.

I’m happy, actually, that our society allows those who don’t like witches or wizards in their literature to say so; I’m also happy that a vast majority of libraries (and the councils that support them) protect the rights of the rest of us to read freely.

Forbidden fruit is often the sweetest! ;-)

Avatar Image says:

The SSR book i’m reading for my English class right now is full of bad words and inappropriate langauge, it’s on like every other page, yet they ban books like Harry Potter. It’s so backwards. Siriusly, people, find better books to ban…...= [

Oh well, at least it gives me a good excuse to reread Harry Potter again…. = ] lol

Avatar Image says:

I’m just thinking that, if they banned some of these books here in Australia and made it bad to read them, more people at my high school would read, just like in OOTP, when people are reading the quibbler because it was banned by Umbridge. What’s the point of banning a book anyway? It’s not like it’s going to change anything. People are still going to read them.

Avatar Image says:

Want to show support for this?: Then don’t vote for Sarah Palin, she’s already got a list of books she wants to ban and of course it includes a ton of classics including Harry Potter. But there are also so really interesting choices on her list like, “How to eat fried worms?” I mean seriously?!! are you kidding me!

Avatar Image says:

I haven’t read ‘Beloved’, but I’ve seen the movie and I loved it. Read ‘Catcher in the Rye’: what’s the problem?? People are weird…

Write a Reply or Comment