Wizarding Postcard Contest
Aug 01, 2009
Wizarding Postcard Contest
¦ Harry had no idea where Dumbledore went during the summer holidays. He amused himself for a moment, picturing Dumbledore, with his long silver beard, full-length wizard’s robes, and pointed hat, stretched out on a beach somewhere, rubbing suntan lotion onto his long crooked nose.”
(p.21. GoF, 1st Scholastic Trade pb.)
Have you ever wondered where your favourite witch or wizard goes on holiday? Our August contest offers a chance to share your imaginings. You’re invited to submit a postcard written by any HP book character while on vacation. Decorate the image side of the card with a photo or original artwork related to the vacation spot. On the other side, write a brief message from your chosen character describing his or her holiday experiences. You may collaborate on a postcard with one other artist or writer if you wish.
Postcards will be judged by their overall effect, which will include how well the card suits the character chosen. Is the location a holiday destination that the character would choose? Is the message in keeping with the character’s personality? The judges will also be looking for creativity. Is the message lively; humorous; intriguing ’ something more than “Wish you were here”? Is the image side something out of the ordinary? We’re hoping to see a wide variety of the things commonly found on postcards: Scenery, wildlife, maps, jokes,comics, historical information, recipes, famous persons, local trivia¦ anything associated with the holiday spot.
- Each entry must present a design for a complete postcard, including an illustration and message.
- Entries may be submitted by individuals or by two-person teams. The entry should be submitted under one team member’s name, with credit given to the other member. One entry per person or team.
- All work must be original (See specific rules for photos below).
- Cards should be no larger than 4″ by 6″.
- Please try to keep all file sizes below 1 MB. If you submit two files (front and back), the combined file size should be less than 1 MB.
- The contest is open to anyone 13 or older.
- The first place winner (or pair) will receive a custom made wand donated by [url=”http://wizardwands.net/custom-apprentice-wands.htm”]Wizard Wood Wands[/url]. All decisions by the judges are final.
- Please e-mail your submissions to [email protected] by 11:59 pm ET on 31 August, with “Wizarding Postcard” in the header.
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something.
- If you have any questions not answered on the FAQ, or would like to discuss this Contest, please come to the
Contest Corner forum of The Leaky Lounge.
Rules for the written side:
- Write a brief message from any vacationing HP character to any other HP character. (No messages from beyond the Veil, please. If your character dies during the series, please choose a holiday he/she might have enjoyed while still living.)
- The holiday must take place sometime during the HP series.
- Please keep the date, location, and content compatible with the books.
- The Weasley family’s trip to Egypt is off-limits, having already been covered by Ms. Rowling.
- 50 words or less.
Rules for the image side:
- The image must depict, or be somehow related to, the holiday location.
- Original hand drawn or computer generated art will be accepted. Computer generated art is defined as extensive Photoshop images, digital hand drawn art, or any other way you can create an image using the computer.
- Original photos may be used. Public domain photos (such as some of those available at Photobucket) are also acceptable. If a copyrighted photo is used (something from the movies, for instance), it must be altered to the extent that it can legitimately be considered an original artwork.
- Submissions will be accepted in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
UPDATE: The winners have been picked!
First Place: Amanda Bettens
Second Place: MikeyBooch
Third Place: fw00per
Honorable Mention: Kirsten