Presenting...MyLeaky. Your Harry Potter.

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
January 30, 2009, 02:47 PM

All right. Let's try this again. Today, Leaky has been radically reshaped forever.

Presenting...MyLeaky. Your Harry Potter.

MyLeaky is now the largest Harry Potter social network on the Web. We have been talking about doing it for years and working on it for many long months and can hardly believe it's finally here.

Leaky has now become your central place for interacting with your Harry Potter friends. Through your profile, you can message your friends, create and join groups and events, and interact in ways that you will find similar, but definitely Potter-ized, to other social networks.

MyLeaky is FULLY integrated into Leaky. You must be a member to leave comments on the site. You will not leave the site while using it.

If you have ever signed up for an account at Leaky, you are already a member. Member of the LeakyLounge? Done. Have a LeakyLogin? Sorted. This means there are already more than 75,000 members waiting to join you online.

But that's the very beginning.

When you first sign in, you will assign yourself a house. Choose wisely, because your house will be like your family at MyLeaky. Nearly everything you do on the site, and on the main Leaky page, and soon to become every other area at Leaky, will earn you points for your house. Top earners will win rewards; we will award house cups, host scavenger hunts, and much, much more.

Also, for the first time EVER, Leaky now has house-colorized skins, which you can only currently access by being a member. These will work nearly site-wide and you can expect more to appear in the future.

Are you in a wizard rock band? Then it's definitely time to sign up at MyLeaky. Wizard rock bands can now have their own specialized profiles, with the ability to upload music, post your upcoming shows, gather fans, and much more. We already have some bands in there who are waiting for your fanship:

Harry and the Potters
The Remus Lupins
The Moaning Myrtles
The Whomping Willows
Tonks and the Aurors
The Mudbloods

And the best part is that MyLeaky is fully customizable, which means this is NOT the end of our development of the program: It is merely the first step. As MyLeaky grows, your input will be vital to its expansion, and to making sure you have a great experience.

Enough from me. If you want to experience MyLeaky yourself, go ahead. Sign in at the top, or here, or register here and join the tens of thousands of Harry Potter fans who are waiting.

We have longed to bring all our users together under something like this for a very long time. We have some people to thank.

All the staff have worked tirelessly on this project; John Noe has provided deisgns and tweaked every graphic and skin, Frak has provided sketches, and Ashley designed our headers. Sue Upton and Doris Herrmann and Nick Rhein provided endless technical (and tactical) support and a handful of dedicated mod testers and wizard rock bands have been helping us iron out the bugs for months.

Over the past few days Nick Poulden almost singlehandedly rescued us from a server overload.

But really, guys, I have to ask you a favor. If you have a moment, before you run over to MyLeaky and start having that ball, can everyone give a large cheer and thanks to Alex Robbin, our resident super programmer? Alex Robbin is 18 years old. He coded MyLeaky from scratch. He has been working to nearly all hours on this for several months, with an intensity and ferocity we've never seen. I've extolled his virtues so many times here, but really, words here really do fail. The only thing we can do is all stand up and cheer, and hope that enough voices join the chorus that it comes even marginally close to expressing how we all feel. You can also now do that via a MyLeaky group for that purpose.

Thank you, Alex.

Now go enjoy MyLeaky, and welcome!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

I feel really stupid, but I can’t figure out how to join a house… Obviously I’ve already signed in for the first time, but I didn’t see anywhere that you pick your house. Could anybody help me out? Thanks! :) Sorry to be so thick!

Posted by runaroundkid on January 31, 2009, 12:22 AM report to moderator
Picture0093_thumb

runaroundkid – I had the same problem, go to http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/myleaky/edit and you should be able to :)

Posted by Serpensortia [FTC!] on January 31, 2009, 12:30 AM report to moderator

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!! We love you, SUPER SUPER SUPER Alex!!

Posted by Sophie on January 31, 2009, 12:38 AM report to moderator

Thank you so much, Serpensortia! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Posted by runaroundkid on January 31, 2009, 12:43 AM report to moderator
Dailyprophet_thumb

I’ve seen several people displaying their birthdays. I keep looking on the “Edit Profile” page, but I can’t find the option to display my birthday. Can someone help me please?

Posted by Richie Gagen on January 31, 2009, 12:51 AM report to moderator
Issacs_puppy2_thumb

this is fantastic!! its just like magic!!! ;)

Posted by Amanda *ROAR* on January 31, 2009, 01:24 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Thank you, Leaky, for introducing this fantastic new service to connect and serve Harry Potter fans. Just when I thought that this site could not possibly become even more innovative, it does, in the most ingenious and useful of ways. The MyLeaky network is going to transform the fandom, and thank you for all the work done for this. We all appreciate it.

Posted by Kirk on January 31, 2009, 01:28 AM report to moderator
Gg35-parle_thumb

Wow, I didn’t even know about the myleaky thing. I’m very happy that I saw this article and now have my own. I love the house skins as well, very nice. : )

Posted by DL_AVY on January 31, 2009, 01:55 AM report to moderator
9013438_thumb

I think that the cauldron that they have pictured is scary with its beady little eyes! but any who, once I got my password and username all figured out, since I hadn’t used it since 2005 or something like that, its been a while I couldn’t remember it, I had to figure that out so I could get my leaky fix and comment again.

Posted by carebie on January 31, 2009, 02:25 AM report to moderator
F05_03_thumb

How do you get an avatar? I’m having trouble putting an image up.

Posted by B.J. on January 31, 2009, 03:25 AM report to moderator
Untitled-3_thumb

This is absolutley awesome!

I fear I shall never be off my computer now though :S

Posted by Snuffbox on January 31, 2009, 04:03 AM report to moderator
12136_373462265222_814805222_10077577_6700488_n_thumb

YAY FOR ALEX!!!

I am SO excited about this, thanks so much leaky!

Posted by MuggleQueen on January 31, 2009, 04:04 AM report to moderator
Casey_close_up_thumb

I would like to know how the points are assigned. Looking at the above posts, some very short ones got more house points that longer ones. Are they randomly generated or are there things you can do to get more. Just curious.

JKMcGonagall

Posted by JKMcGonagall on January 31, 2009, 05:25 AM report to moderator
Casey_close_up_thumb

I’m with B.J. above, I don’t know how to get an avatar either. I’d like one.

JKMcGonagall

Posted by JKMcGonagall on January 31, 2009, 05:27 AM report to moderator
Badgers_thumb

MAJOR SQUEEEEEEEE!!!! This is so cool! Thanks leaky!

Posted by Tiahn on January 31, 2009, 06:10 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"That was me," he said. "I was slashed by a hippogriff."[br]"A hippogriff?" said Professor Umbridge, now scribbling frantically.[br]"Only because he was too stupid to listen to what Hagrid told him to do," said Harry angrily.